• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How easy would it be to steal a Lightning?

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
Does anyone know if it would be easy to steal a lightning? I'm going to be worried about leaving it anywhere if it's easy to steal.

I imagine it wouldn't be easy but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
Weisenheimer

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I've deleted my sarcastic answer and will now ask the real question...why do you think this will be easier to steal than any other modern vehicle?

OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
LOL I don't, I said I imagine it's wouldn't be easy but was wondering if anyone knew.

I think it would be hard and it would be easy to track.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
LOL I don't, I said I imagine it's wouldn't be easy but was wondering if anyone knew.

I think it would be hard and it would be easy to track.
The powertrain has nothing to do with the security functions of the vehicle. If a MY22 ICE is hard to steal, a MY22 EV will be hard to steal. The tracking capabilities will be the same for both types of vehicles.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The powertrain has nothing to do with the security functions of the vehicle. If a MY22 ICE is hard to steal, a MY22 EV will be hard to steal. The tracking capabilities will be the same for both types of vehicles.
I disagree.

The power train will make it harder to steal because of the following reasons.

The F150L has a higher chance of being tethered to a charger. Most F150 ICE are not tethered when unattended.

Even if it isn’t, the thieves are range limited. In a gas car they get more range and can get further away.

When they run out of range on an ICE they fill up with cash in a quick 15 minutes. On the F150L they pull over will likely need a credit card - or risk notifying you on your account - and….sit there for an hour.

Basically. Take all the negatives that people have been freaking out about on EVs. All those will help you against a car thief.

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
I disagree.

The power train will make it harder to steal because of the following reasons.

The F150L has a higher chance of being tethered to a charger. Most F150 ICE are not tethered when unattended.

Even if it isn’t, the thieves are range limited. In a gas car they get more range and can get further away.

When they run out of range on an ICE they fill up with cash in a quick 15 minutes. On the F150L they pull over will likely need a credit card - or risk notifying you on your account - and….sit there for an hour.

Basically. Take all the negatives that people have been freaking out about on EVs. All those will help you against a car thief.
That is a good point about the needing to charge. Plug it into a public charger and I think that would be super risky. Even a capable thief probs not going to install a charger in his house/chopshop.

detroitlightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Toyota RAV4 Prime, ‘22 Maverick XL
Does anyone know if it would be easy to steal a lightning? I'm going to be worried about leaving it anywhere if it's easy to steal.

I imagine it wouldn't be easy but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?
Super easy dude, you're totally fucked.

OnTheGround

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Santa Fe, Honda Accord
I don’t think common car thieves will target the Lightning because they will be rare vehicles that don’t have much interchangeable with anything else on the road (The only thing really shared with current F-150s is the interior; The frame, suspension, and sheetmetal is different)…. Generally car thieves target older but common cars because they have a huge customer base looking for cheap parts that are no longer in production (Older generation F-150s fit this bill). With a short and limited production cycle it won’t be very profitable to steal and part out a Lightning. For this reason I think you’re far better off than in a regular F-150. There are a few people who could steal it just because it’s fast and they want a joyride. For the moment that’s about all the benefit I see in stealing it.

However, the battery in EVs could become the next Catalytic Converter. As EVs become more common, stealing and selling the batteries to a recycler will become more and more common as well. Eventually I could see the Lightnings becoming a target for thieves because the battery is relatively easy to remove and it has a lot of raw material in there. You probably have a good ten years befor that becomes a problem though. The structural battery Tesla is starting to integrate into their cars might be where all future EVs need to go unfortunately.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Any vehicle is easy enough to steal if you have tools and a tow truck/flatbed.

Sponsored

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
I don’t think common car thieves will target the Lightning because they will be rare vehicles that don’t have much interchangeable with anything else on the road (The only thing really shared with current F-150s is the interior; The frame, suspension, and sheetmetal is different)…. Generally car thieves target older but common cars because they have a huge customer base looking for cheap parts that are no longer in production (Older generation F-150s fit this bill). With a short and limited production cycle it won’t be very profitable to steal and part out a Lightning. For this reason I think you’re far better off than in a regular F-150. There are a few people who could steal it just because it’s fast and they want a joyride. For the moment that’s about all the benefit I see in stealing it.

However, the battery in EVs could become the next Catalytic Converter. As EVs become more common, stealing and selling the batteries to a recycler will become more and more common as well. Eventually I could see the Lightnings becoming a target for thieves because the battery is relatively easy to remove and it has a lot of raw material in there. You probably have a good ten years befor that becomes a problem though. The structural battery Tesla is starting to integrate into their cars might be where all future EVs need to go unfortunately.
Agree with these points... except handling a HV battery has a high probability of getting yourself dead if you don't know what you are doing, and it weighs roughly 1500 lbs.

DHK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150L Lariat SR
Agree with these points... except handling a HV battery has a high probability of getting yourself dead if you don't know what you are doing, and it weighs roughly 1500 lbs.
For real. A huge 98kwh battery is nothing like a catalytic converter. The only way to get at the battery would be to drive it to another location -!3 have very skilled people with the right equipment chip it up. For an ICE, all you need is a jack saw to get at valuable materials.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Brick as Key has not yet been implemented for the EV lineup.

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
I’ve been looking into this as well, but I think I’ll just wait until my order arrives.
Sponsored