• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How to remove the radio stations on my screen from the factory?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Can the radio be turned off and everything else on the truck function properly?
Of course. The screen, which is the Sync system, stays on the entire time the truck runs, but if you don't want to listen to the radio, you turn it off like any other vehicle.
Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Of course. The screen, which is the Sync system, stays on the entire time the truck runs, but if you don't want to listen to the radio, you turn it off like any other vehicle.
Thanks Rick

OP
OP
ALAN BORER

ALAN BORER

First Name
ALAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F250
Occupation
RETIRED
Maybe i am misunderstanding. Is the radio on at all times. Can you Not turn the radio off?
In my ice with the radio off, my phone still works through the radio.
I FIGURED IT OUT , THANK YOU

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
My is a '23 so I guess I don't have AM yet. Most vehicles that I have purchased with Sirius came with a few months free trial. Guess I don't have that either.
I am planning on using my Sirius XM "Roady" receiver in my 2023 Lightning Pro when it is delivered.
I was wondering if the FM radio has an aux input for say an MP3 player, iPod, etc.?

I use my iPod with my Nissan Leaf by just plugging it into the USB port - it is detected by the audio system (which also has XM radio). But I don't imagine that will work in the Lightning Pro.

I have used my Sirius XM 'Roady' receiver with my old (2001) Ford Ranger by tuning the FM radio to a particular channel on which the 'Roady' transmits to the FM radio. Not as convenient as a built-in XM tuner, but does the job.

I put in a Sony AM/FM/CD player that has an aux input in my Ranger a few years ago, and can plug the iPod into the aux jack or a USB socket.

Ford is notorious for making it difficult to add after-market audio equipment, but an experienced installer can do it for a price, or one could DIY it.

Another option I guess is to use a smart-phone and the Sirius streaming app then blue-tooth it to the Ford system?

Somehow I am going to find a way to have my way with the audio!

EDIT/ADDITION: there is a newer version of the 'Roady' that uses blue tooth to connect to the car, for under $90 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-Roady-Vehicle-Satellite-Radio/dp/B09WKV7YT2

Last edited:

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Another option I guess is to use a smart-phone and the Sirius streaming app then blue-tooth it to the Ford system?
Unless you are going to be traveling somewhere with little cell signal for long stretches, this is absolutely the way. It works great, and doesn't require any additional equipment or connections.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unless you are going to be traveling somewhere with little cell signal for long stretches, this is absolutely the way. It works great, and doesn't require any additional equipment or connections.
Good to know. I've read that some people have had blue tooth connection problems in the Lightning with smart phones and the portable XM blue tooth receiver versions. My wife has issues with blue tooth in her 2015 Prius with her iPhone dropping the connection.

I guess the XM streaming could run up the data usage if not on an unlimited data plan.

My house/neighborhood is bad for some cell carriers - Verizon no problems, but every one with ATT has to go outside and walk around to find a signal and they tell me it got worse with 5G which travels shorter distances before losing effective power.

The cell signal was an issue sometimes for my 2012 Leaf which used ATT 2G and then 3G as the carrier/signal for the CarWings telemetrics. Then ATT abruptly discontinued 3G so my Leaf is now disconnected from the world of telecommunications.

Since I have both a SiriusXM account and a 'Roady', not to mention two mp3 players, an iPod and a ZUNE (lol), with a ton of CDs on them, I'd like to be able to use them in my soon to be acquired Lightning Pro.

My SiriusXM Roady can connect with any car FM radio, so that will be my first choice if the radio has no aux input for the mp3 player(s).

Why did Ford short-change the Pro model with sub-standard audio capabilities?

Also, a heated steering wheel was standard on my 2012 Leaf SL - why not in the Lightning? - very handy (pun intended) in the winter along with the heated seats!

Go figure...

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Good to know. I've read that some people have had blue tooth connection problems in the Lightning with smart phones and the portable XM blue tooth receiver versions. My wife has issues with blue tooth in her 2015 Prius with her iPhone dropping the connection.

I guess the XM streaming could run up the data usage if not on an unlimited data plan.

My house/neighborhood is bad for some cell carriers - Verizon no problems, but every one with ATT has to go outside and walk around to find a signal and they tell me it got worse with 5G which travels shorter distances before losing effective power.

The cell signal was an issue sometimes for my 2012 Leaf which used ATT 2G and then 3G as the carrier/signal for the CarWings telemetrics. Then ATT abruptly discontinued 3G so my Leaf is now disconnected from the world of telecommunications.

Since I have both a SiriusXM account and a 'Roady', not to mention two mp3 players, an iPod and a ZUNE (lol), with a ton of CDs on them, I'd like to be able to use them in my soon to be acquired Lightning Pro.

My SiriusXM Roady can connect with any car FM radio, so that will be my first choice if the radio has no aux input for the mp3 player(s).

Why did Ford short-change the Pro model with sub-standard audio capabilities?

Also, a heated steering wheel was standard on my 2012 Leaf SL - why not in the Lightning? - very handy (pun intended) in the winter along with the heated seats!

Go figure...
Because the Pro is a work truck intended for commercial and government fleet buyers rather than retail purchasers. I had a fleet Explorer Interceptor Utility for a volunteer fire dept and was not allowed by the County to have Sirius XM in the vehicle since it was not deemed to be a critical necessity - and thus a good use of taxpayer dollars (even if I paid for the subscription with my own money). Many businesses operate the same way - especially if they have state and federal govt contracts. In my business life, I am also seeing large Fortune 500 corporations closely watching their expenses and cutting costs to the bone.

Sponsored

priceb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
You donā€™t have your model year listed in your profile. AM was removed in ā€˜23 models but will be available to be added back with a software update according to Farley. 22ā€™s have AM. Sirius requires a subscription but you should still see the tab for it. Hereā€™s an Internet screenshot I found of old Sync that shows where to select AM, FM or Sirius. Itā€™s in the same place for the newer Sync though.
1691761104586.jpeg
Our 23 Lariat has AM ...

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Because the Pro is a work truck intended for commercial and government fleet buyers rather than retail purchasers. I had a fleet Explorer Interceptor Utility for a volunteer fire dept and was not allowed by the County to have Sirius XM in the vehicle since it was not deemed to be a critical necessity - and thus a good use of taxpayer dollars (even if I paid for the subscription with my own money). Many businesses operate the same way - especially if they have state and federal govt contracts. In my business life, I am also seeing large Fortune 500 corporations closely watching their expenses and cutting costs to the bone.
Well, that's old-school thinking on Ford's part, which is not surprising really.

Still they could have made it an OPTION, eh?

When I drove delivery for an electrical supply house before getting serious about college, I put in some speakers, an antenna, and an under-the-dash mounted FM radio in the truck I drove. I had a long route that often took me out into the 'country' (now suburbs) and it sure beat the monotony and even allowed me to have some news now and then, like when a tornado warning was issued for the area I was near - it took out a high school.

So...why is having SiriusXM more of an issue then an FM radio, which is standard in the Pro, for the corporate bottom line and Gov't official types anyway? (Rhetorical question)

Go figure.

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
nor at the truck righ tnow ... but fresh off of the delivery truck mid November
Sponsored