• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP
yed19

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 RR Sport HSE
During this thread, there have been several things mentioned that I think new members might need clarification on.

1. What Apps are required to configure, update, and manage this entire process for the HIS system, the Ford Charge Station Pro? There are several references to M Pro App.

2. When using acronyms like MSP, CSP, etc. Please assume the reader may not know what is being referred to, this makes documentation easier to understand.

Thanks
It is all defined here: https://sites.google.com/sunrun.com/sop/sops/ev-chargers/ford-ev-charger
The problem is happening for those that are not installed through SunRun directly it appears. Its almost as if they are utilizing their own process to restrict access to full functionality of the system. Its kinda like when they originally were going to only send the HIS to SunRun customers first...
Sponsored

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
@Major Dawg What size solar inverter do have and was it successfully routed through the HIS? Being able to use my solar in a power outage is big reason for me going with Ford and the Lightning. I'm very curious to know how well they've been able to integrate solar with the HIS.
I've run 8.2kw into the HIS, but it still doesn't function when power is cut.

I've had two HIS's. The first replaced under warranty. That one would actualy beep and try tokick on when power was cut. Even my FCSP would pulse green. However, that one actually wasn't able to invert the DC current from solar. So it was warrantied.

This second one, inverts solar like my other invert did. Very well. But it doesn't actually trigger the back up or make the same noises. even the FCSP doesn't pulsate any color.

Albeit, all my app stuff i set up. Sunrun called me because they had both serial numbers on my account (even though they're the ones who warrantied it.) And they wanted me to wait a bit to try again. So I guess I'll give it another go this weekend.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Thanks for the update. @tommolog's video of his install made it look like the solar portion works just fine, so fingers crossed they can get yours working.

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
Thanks for the update. @tommolog's video of his install made it look like the solar portion works just fine, so fingers crossed they can get yours working.
Can you link that video?

Sponsored

Major Dawg

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Senior Wireless QA Engineer
I have a small 4kw solar system, but plan to expand a little, so I went for the 6kw BDi system from sunrun (same price as 4kw).
The install by QMerit was great, although everyone is learning this system via the Sunrun supplied SOPs. The SOPs have a few mistakes that can cause issues. 1. It calls for 14awg for the communication lines between Ford Charge Station Pro and the BDI, but infact that is low voltage and should be 22-24awg. Even the picture shows this size being used. Pull Cat5 or Cat6 through the conduit if possible.
At this point, I'm at step 13 of the BDI commissioning SOP, and need to try the simulated power outage and verify everything works.
There are a lot of steps, and it takes some patient's, but it is looking good to this point.
Hopefully, I can get time to document this with my installer tomorrow when he completes the final steps with me.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I have a small 4kw solar system, but plan to expand a little, so I went for the 6kw BDi system from sunrun (same price as 4kw).
The install by QMerit was great, although everyone is learning this system via the Sunrun supplied SOPs. The SOPs have a few mistakes that can cause issues. 1. It calls for 14awg for the communication lines between Ford Charge Station Pro and the BDI, but infact that is low voltage and should be 22-24awg. Even the picture shows this size being used. Pull Cat5 or Cat6 through the conduit if possible.
At this point, I'm at step 13 of the BDI commissioning SOP, and need to try the simulated power outage and verify everything works.
There are a lot of steps, and it takes some patient's, but it is looking good to this point.
Hopefully, I can get time to document this with my installer tomorrow when he completes the final steps with me.
Just a note: Data cables run in the same raceway as power conductors must have insulation rated for a minimum of the voltage carried by the power conductors. In this case, a 600V rating. It’s available, but more expensive.

Major Dawg

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks Maquis for that info. Makes since. 14awg does not fit into the clip connectors on the Ford Charge Station Pro side and can cause the clips to fail if they are jammed into the plastic clip. Just trying to let, folks know that there seems to be a mismatch on the sop and the charger documentation.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
ETW Energy completed the HIS installation for Sunrun today. They had trouble pairing the truck with the Intelligent Backup System. Somehow after they left, I got it to work by immediately telling the truck to rescan, without doing anything else, after it quickly said, "No charge stations found." So now, under Intelligent Backup in the truck, it says the truck is paired to the Ford 3000. Bubbles 1 and 3 are green and checked in the FordPass app. I called Sunrun, got connected to the Ford IT folks, and a very nice gentleman who followed a script took my BDI serial number and Ford Charge Station ID (he said he didn't need the VIN #). When he was done, he said it might take Ford several weeks to authorize my FordPass app, but then I should see bubble #2 green and checked. The script gave him instructions on exactly where to find the required ID numbers, so that helped me realize I was barking up the right tree, so to speak. I'll throw the main breaker tonight when the AC is off (it's constantly running now) and see if the dang thing actually works for real!

Stonelew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Lexus Hybrid 2023 Lightning Platinum
Got mine working today with the new update. Did David install your HIS?

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Did David install your HIS?
I'm not sure if you're referring to me, but a "David" from ETW Energy installed my HIS. I see you're in Austin, and he said he'd be there tomorrow working on a system.

I tested the system tonight without the #2 bubble filled. During the first "outage," power didn't come on, with grid power off for 11 to 12 minutes. The truck charging port turned green and began pulsing, though, as if it were trying!

2nd try, after 2' 19", the HIS system kicked in and powered the house. This time around, I noticed the FCSP had also turned green along with the charging port, and there was a lot more activity on the LED lights on the HIS. I don't know if it makes a difference, but the 2nd time around, I turned on cellular data on my phone, which had only been on Wi-Fi the first time around.

ETW Energy left a bit of sheet rock damage behind. I'll see if Sunrun "encourages" them to patch it up.

Stonelew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
David installed mine also. The new update 4.2.3.1 "seems to" have fixed the communication between the truck and the inverter. In regard to the 2nd bubble it was off and the bi-directional was working with this new update.

Major Dawg

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Got mine working today with the new update. Did David install your HIS?
How many times have you tested it working? Last Friday, my electrician and I got it working once for over 10 mins. Turned on lights and checked the service throughout the house.
Then we tried again and the power stayed on for a couple min then stopped.
On the subsequent tries, the system no longer worked.

Stonelew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Please explain which update and where you see the version you have?
These are over the air updates that came on June 8, Ford power-up 4.2.3.1, it says " While you may have seen this update before,we're resending to ensure some houskeeping features are included to help further enhance your user experience". The head trouble shooter at Ford said this update should fix the truck communicating with the inverter. The update is on my Ford Pass and truck.
Sponsored