• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Interesting perspective on state of EV chargers and economics.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm sorry you had to be in O_io, and especially Toledo. ;)

EA has chargers on the O_io Turnpike. Tiffin River / Indian Meadow Service Plazas, Wyandot / Blue Heron Service Plazas.

Yes, in many areas you need to exit the highway (NY Thruway) to find chargers. PA Turnpike also. Is that the fault of EA, or the Turnpike Authority?

EA's membership, Pass+, is $4 per month. You can upgrade, then downgrade, immediately, and it takes effect in 30 days.

In a per kWh state, that drops the rate from 43 cents to 31 cents. Breakeven is in your first charge, i.e. it becomes cheaper after you've used 33.3kWh.

In a per minute state, it drops the rate from 32 cents to 24 cents. Breakeven is at 50 minutes, i.e. your 2nd charge.
Blue Heron and Wyandotte Plazas, because they are in the same spot and service both directions, are basically one location. And so close to home that neither helped.

I stopped in Girard OH and Bedford PA. Bedford is the location with the broken chargers.

My trip coming home was fine until I stopped in Girard. A guy in an ID.4 pulled up and was upset I was using a 350kW charger. When I got there there was a 150 and 350 open. I tried to use the 150 but it peaked at 44kWh so I moved to the 350. Before he showed up the guy using the other 150 left. I told him about the slow charger and he wanted me to unplug and go to the other 150. I only had about 5 more minutes left and told him I wasn't moving. He sat there and pouted until I left, chosing not to even try the 150.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Blue Heron and Wyandotte Plazas, because they are in the same spot and service both directions, are basically one location. And so close to home that neither helped.

I stopped in Girard OH and Bedford PA. Bedford is the location with the broken chargers.

My charge at Girard was fine until a guy in an ID.4 pulled up and was upset I was using a 350kW charger. When I got there there was a 150 and 350 open. I tried to use the 150 but it peaked at 44kWh so I moved to the 350. Before he showed up the guy using the other 150 left. I told him about the show charger and he wanted me to unplug and go to the other 150. I only had about 5 more minutes left and told him I wasn't moving. He sat there and pouted until I left, chosing not to even try the 150.
I indicated the two locations with the slash trying to show they were the same (i.e. 4 charging locations, 2 physical locations, both sides of highway).

Yes, some locations are not good. Check PlugShare first. And report them on EA's app as well as PlugShare.

Too bad about the ID.4 guy. Life's tough. I wouldn't have moved either.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
EA and WalMart signed an agreement back in 2018 proving for EA to locate chargers at WalMart locations.
I’m sure this saves EA on real estate costs, plus ensures reasonable utility infrastructure nearby.
I agree, it’s often not the most convenient for highway travel.
The cost of running a large enough utility infrastructure to support a megawatt or more worth of chargers to a remote travel plaza can be huge.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I went to the local Flying J Saturday to have a propane bottle filled. The manager filled the bottle for me. I asked him if they had plans for electric chargers. He said yes they are in the process & planning. They have the extra land already & are planning for chargers & extra parking, along with overnight camper spots. They will also have some drive through chargers.
I know that GM & EVGo had plans to build chargers at Pilot & Flying J's, I suppose this is part of that plan. They already have a few stations that have RV camping spots, adding EV charging will make travel with a camper much less stressful with the Lightning.
This is good news to hear.

I have heard that GM is partnering up with EV Go and I have seen many new and upgraded EV Go chargers where they now offer 100kW, 150kW, and 350kW stations near me.

EVGo is more common for me where I live/work than EA chargers...

And I happen to have a first minute reservation for SIlverado EV WT.

Wonder if they will ever produce a $40K base EV truck like the Pro trim ??

Ford F-150 Lightning Interesting perspective on state of EV chargers and economics. patrick, you’ve successfully reserved a Silverado EV (2)

bwcbwc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler

My trip coming home was fine until I stopped in Girard. A guy in an ID.4 pulled up and was upset I was using a 350kW charger. When I got there there was a 150 and 350 open. I tried to use the 150 but it peaked at 44kWh so I moved to the 350. Before he showed up the guy using the other 150 left. I told him about the slow charger and he wanted me to unplug and go to the other 150. I only had about 5 more minutes left and told him I wasn't moving. He sat there and pouted until I left, chosing not to even try the 150.
Recently did a road trip from NJ to NC and back. Only used EA stations. I was finding that using 150kW chargers the max rate I'd see was around 110kW. Using the 350kW chargers the max rate I'd see was around 170kW.

Totally not a scientific test. Not at all a significant sample size. I also realize there are a whole bunch of other variables that could affect the rates. And I wasn't sitting there watching the charging curve for various dips and whatnot, but I'd generally pull in at a 20-30% SOC and leave around 80%. From what I understand the Lightning's curve is pretty flat.

All of that said, I'm probably going to continue using the 350kW stations when they're free. Definitely won't be moving if somebody asks. And I think most of these faster charging EVs only break 200kW for a very small part of the curve anyhow.

Sponsored

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
I'm sorry you had to be in O_io, and especially Toledo. ;)

EA has chargers on the O_io Turnpike. Tiffin River / Indian Meadow Service Plazas, Wyandot / Blue Heron Service Plazas.

Yes, in many areas you need to exit the highway (NY Thruway) to find chargers. PA Turnpike also. Is that the fault of EA, or the Turnpike Authority?

EA's membership, Pass+, is $4 per month. You can upgrade, then downgrade, immediately, and it takes effect in 30 days.

In a per kWh state, that drops the rate from 43 cents to 31 cents. Breakeven is in your first charge, i.e. it becomes cheaper after you've used 33.3kWh.

In a per minute state, it drops the rate from 32 cents to 24 cents. Breakeven is at 50 minutes, i.e. your 2nd charge.
I’m still using my free 250 kW at electrify America. Does the blue oval Netwerk not get us a $.31 per kW rate at electrify America?Or must we become members to qualify for that right?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I’m still using my free 250 kW at electrify America. Does the blue oval Netwerk not get us a $.31 per kW rate at electrify America?Or must we become members to qualify for that right?
That is correct. TODAY, the BlueOval Network does not get you EA's discounted rate. They rolled out, then pulled back for further testing a $50 per year plan that gives you that same discounted price. I would expect them to re-release it sooner rather than later.

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
Im still sort of in shock that gas stations don't leverage EV chargers. The customers will almost certainly go into the store for snacks, drinks, etc and spend money while charging. At least in California, where I travel, I don't see this at all. Strange to me. Seems like a no brainer??? Tesla superchargers are everywhere... easy to drive the Model Y around... definitely more of a challenge on J1772 and the Lightning. Out of 6 different charge locations all of them had issues. Down chargers, in-use, people pulling in on one side, and taking the charge cables from the other side (using two spots). Its not good out there...

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired

The entitled jerks who give EVs a bad name. I got off the Pike and stopped at the Sheetz in Bedford last week. One of the 150’s was locked up so I called EA and went to a 350. No charge for charging. It will be like college where you look for the broken parking meter for free parking.
Sponsored