• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Non-EV vehicles taking up EV chargers

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I haven't encountered such rudeness but the catch is that since most ev chargers are on private property, people blocking them can be persuaded to move by a trespassing charge and having their vehicle towed.

Most of the time the anti ev internet trolls are just that, trolls. They rarely see the light of day, just noise.

Also, not much of a problem with the Lightning owners if you've got a good tow strap handy.
Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
I haven't encountered such rudeness but the catch is that since most ev chargers are on private property, people blocking them can be persuaded to move by a trespassing charge and having their vehicle towed.

Most of the time the anti ev internet trolls are just that, trolls. They rarely see the light of day, just noise.

Also, not much of a problem with the Lightning owners if you've got a good tow strap handy.
A good tow strap handy?
Are we to take that to mean you would drag that rude persons buggy out of the way?

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A good tow strap handy?
Are we to take that to mean you would drag that rude persons buggy out of the way?
Only in an emergency if no tow trucks were available. I would prefer a more diplomatic solution.

In reality though, it's not a rampant problem here in Canada. We just need to bring a shovel in the winter to dig out the units.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
But he is parked at a charger and plugging the charger in his fake plug.
I think that's what you are assuming, by the photo, although I imagine he just shot this photo to 'prove' that this device can 'look' like a charge port... he never said he WAS sitting at an EV Charging Space, he only stated that having a 'charge port' seemed to keep him from having to pay for a 'parking fee' at the college/business... he didn't say that the waiver of the parking fee was 'only' when you are plugged into a charger. He's just making a point about a 'fake' device...to his enjoyment.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
The charging cables I've seen don't reach much further than the parking space they are intended to service, yes he's parked illegally and an ass.
Ford F-150 Lightning Non-EV vehicles taking up EV chargers 1696513090655

Sponsored

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Here is a post on Facebook of a person who added a plate to their vehicle to mount a charger connection so they could park in EV spots. What are your thoughts and maybe you would like to throw your comments in there with mine.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...b23yv6iJzl&id=100071737907537&mibextid=CDWPTG
He is an idiot for revealing his "secret"....now everyone on campus will know they can do the same thing and the EV spots will be filled and he will have no where to park.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Where I am (province of Ontario, Canada) it has been illegal to park in a charger location unless the vehicle is charging since the end of 2019. Not that the typical cop or person with ticket-writing authority can tell if the vehicle is actually charging.

I am not aware of any random checks for violators, so it requires complaints to get a ticket issued. The fine is $125.

I believe the spot has to be "properly" marked just like handicap parking spots. That is, painting the ground alone is insufficient. There must be a sign for each spot with a specified size and mounted at a specified height (the rules provide minimum and maximums).

Last edited:

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The bigger problem today seems to be rude EV drivers hogging the chargers. Have guy at work who drives a Fiat EV, gets in before 5am and sits on the charger all...friggin....day. He's done charging by 7am, its infuriating when there are only 13 chargers on site and 100's of drivers who would I'm sure would love to top up. One of these days I'm going to get here before he does and take "his" precious parking spot.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
My college days were in the 80s. I had to pay a yearly permit to park on campus. His line about ev drivers don't have to pay yearly permit I think is false. I truly hope it is false.
If not false, there lies the problem. The free stuff gives small minds the desire to pull such stunts, and also gives many ev drivers the feeling of entitlement.
Like someone stated above the free needs to go away.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I carry a large tow strap for his type. He'd find his jeep somewhere else and not parked nicely.

Some companies implement a free charge for a limited amount of time and then a high charge past that. Example: 6Kw charger with 3 hours free charge and $5/hour after that. Great to top up if you want but not so great if you need to charge all day or are looking for a free parking spot. Solves the problem.

Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
I'm glad I have a big battery and it's regularly between 40% and 70% SOC. I'd be too lazy on most days to head to the 10th floor of the parking structure to move it if it were to fill up. As it is, getting 3-6kw charge rate means I can sit there all day sipping electrons without filling up. If I get to work with greater than 85% SOC, I simply don't take a charging spot.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
Only in an emergency if no tow trucks were available. I would prefer a more diplomatic solution.

In reality though, it's not a rampant problem here in Canada. We just need to bring a shovel in the winter to dig out the units.
I would think towing someone's vehicle out of the way is just asking for trouble. There's almost a 100% chance of being caught on camera and the you could damage their vehicle and likely be held liable. As much as i hate lazy people Icing ev chargers doing something like this would be no better than them and just give them the ammo they want for "all ev owners are entitled jerks".

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
asking for trouble
Not if the cops are there already. Like I said, only in emergency.

Zero tolerance for childish people who want to purposely ruin everyone else's day.

I will reiterate though, this has not been a problem in Canada. Nobody wants a trespassing charge.

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
These are very difficult to remove and get the message across nicely.

MESS Parking Violation Stickers Hard to Remove - 100 Bilingual Spanish Tow Warnings No Parking Stickers - Bad Parking Stickers, Super Sticky Towing Tags for Parked Cars and Trucks - 8x5 in, Yellow https://a.co/d/2SIgYl8
Sponsored