• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is the Mobile Power cord worth the $500 they are now charging?

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I had not opened the Emporia I received from Amazon last week and will be returning it now that it is $100 cheaper! Thanks @BennyTheBeaver for the code to save another $20

Edit: credit actually goes to @Pioneer74 for the 5% discount

I thought about removing the Ford charger from my order but didn't want to risk anything with my delivery being so close. I had rather hoped Ford would credit that as port of the price protection. Of course they didn't. Anyway I got a great deal on the truck so I am not sad to have overpaid for a mobile charger.
Yeah @Pioneer74 posted that coupon. Thanks buddy.

That's what I feel this forum should be about, sharing knowledge and helping people.
Sponsored

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Keep the mobile charger under your back seat in case of emergency. You never know when you'll need it.
Exactly, I'm going to keep the 40a AmpRoad charger in my truck as my emergency charger. It feels like a quality product.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I would say no just for the simple fact them donā€™t offer additional plug types. On a lot of trips to Friends/Family they have a 30A dryer plug that would be a great destination charging option but Ford doesnā€™t offer this plug type like Tesla Doe

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I would say no just for the simple fact them donā€™t offer additional plug types. On a lot of trips to Friends/Family they have a 30A dryer plug that would be a great destination charging option but Ford doesnā€™t offer this plug type like Tesla Doe
You make a great point and the fact that there are two plug options already does give some reason to hope that Ford may come out with more. If I could get a 10-30p adapter that causes the charger to draw 24 amps I would buy it instantly.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I have an assortment of adapters. Few EVSE's have all the adapters.

Quality adapters to 14-50 are $20-$30 for each use case. If an EVSE has more features but I need to buy adapters...I'd rather just get the adapters I need.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I have an assortment of adapters. Few EVSE's have all the adapters.

Quality adapters to 14-50 are $20-$30 for each use case. If an EVSE has more features but I need to buy adapters...I'd rather just get the adapters I need.
The problem with using adapters in conjunction with the FMC is that there is no way to dial down the charge rate. Using an adapter to plug into a 30A dryer receptacle will overload the circuit.
The only hack (and itā€™s definitely a ā€œhackā€) that works with the FMC is make up a cord with a dryer plug on one end and a 5-15 female on the other end. It has to be wired to provide 240V to the straight blades on the female. Then when plugging in the FMC using the 120V cord, it charges at 12A, 240V. The result is twice the charge rate as plugging it in to a 120V outlet.
And make sure the cord doesnā€™t get used for anything but the FMC, lest you release the magic smoke from the device.

Iā€˜m not recommending anyone do this. Proceed at your own risk!

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The problem with using adapters in conjunction with the FMC is that there is no way to dial down the charge rate. Using an adapter to plug into a 30A dryer receptacle will overload the circuit.
The only hack (and itā€™s definitely a ā€œhackā€) that works with the FMC is make up a cord with a dryer plug on one end and a 5-15 female on the other end. It has to be wired to provide 240V to the straight blades on the female. Then when plugging in the FMC using the 120V cord, it charges at 12A, 240V. The result is twice the charge rate as plugging it in to a 120V outlet.
And make sure the cord doesnā€™t get used for anything but the FMC, lest you release the magic smoke from the device.

Iā€˜m not recommending anyone do this. Proceed at your own risk!
Oh, I don't have the FMC. I have no intention on getting the FMC. I'm referring to using adapters with other 3rd party mobile chargers that allow adjustable amperage.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The problem is that most people considering using a dryer outlet don't understand they need an adjustable EVSE.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What particular scenarios are you referring to?
Less-than-intelligent EV owner plugs Ford Mobile Charger, or another non-adjustable charger, or a charger set for more than 24amps, into a 30amp circuit (most ovens). Breaker doesn't trip, wiring heats up, house burns down. EV owner points fingers everywhere but at themselves.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Less-than-intelligent EV owner plugs Ford Mobile Charger, or another non-adjustable charger, or a charger set for more than 24amps, into a 30amp circuit (most ovens). Breaker doesn't trip, wiring heats up, house burns down. EV owner points fingers everywhere but at themselves.
OK, but how did they plug into the 30A circuit when the only Ford Mobile Charger plugs are 14-50 and 120V?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OK, but how did they plug into the 30A circuit when the only Ford Mobile Charger plugs are 14-50 and 120V?
They either change the outlet, or rig/buy an adapter.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
They either change the outlet, or rig/buy an adapter.
I'm sure someone will do one of those things, probably more likely the second one.

Yeah, in that case, someone could pull 30A from the FMC and continuous for many hours could cause a problem. Basically the same problem with charging an EV from the 240V outlet in the bed of the Lightning if the car stupidly (ahem... Ford) doesn't have the ability to adjust it's rate of charging.

bpcunning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning XLT, ā€˜20 Explorer ST
Occupation
EVA Tools Engineer
Yeah @Pioneer74 posted that coupon. Thanks buddy.

That's what I feel this forum should be about, sharing knowledge and helping people.
Not to turn this forum into slickdeals, but I moved my Amazon order over to direct with Emporia to stack both their 5% discount and the 5% back on Chase Freedom for paypal. I'll just add in the cost of the Ford mobile charger and say that I got a 48A EVSE, 32A mobile charger, and home power monitoring all for under $1000 (and there's still the 30% tax credit when filing taxes to boot).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Oh, I don't have the FMC. I have no intention on getting the FMC. I'm referring to using adapters with other 3rd party mobile chargers that allow adjustable amperage.
My comment was based on the fact that this thread was started about the FMC. An adjustable EVSE solves a lot of problems.
Sponsored