• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Keep the Lightning or R1T?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Work in Dallas and live in Richardson.
I live near Coit and Campbell - have seen 3 others in the wild. You might likely be one of them.

You've noted already - you can move either one you decide you don't want to keep likely in less than 24 hours.
Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Blend in or be stared at and approached? Lightning if you want to somewhat fly under the radar. Rivian for attention (and after the fact mocking as a fake truck in TX).

OP
OP

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GB FE
Iā€™ve got the Atlas Blue Lightning. Was 5 Starā€™s first customer delivery and live on Vicksburg just next to UTD.

Ended up at a red light right next to a guy with a new white R1T on Coit and Belt Line this afternoon. We talked at the red light and said he loves it (not that I expect anything different).

Also flagged a Hummer EV down right by Braunā€™s last weekend and we admired each otherā€™s trucks. He had just bought his used from a reseller in Addison. Would imagine it set him back 2.5X Lightningā€™s.

Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I have not seen the Hummer, have seen 4 or 5 Rivian's. You may have been the first one I ever saw. July 1 at Cane Russo. I've seen Atlas Blue, another AMB and a neighbor 2 streets up has a silver.

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
37 year old dad of 1 who really likes the Lightning but like new technology as well.
as another father with toddler (4, 2, and -6months), I donā€™t know how you could choose that Rivian back seat vs the Lightning kid limo.

I mean, I get that plenty of families do more with even less, but given the choiceā€¦

I like a vehicle that can comfortably fit more than 2 adults, but I need a vehicle that can comfortably fit car seats and a growing family.

maybe youā€™re done with 1, and turned yours forward facing already, but how hard is the load-in/out in the Rivian? Is the driverā€™s seat pushed forward to allow the kid legroom? Is the kid constantly kicking the seat back?

in either event, a great dilemma to face! GLWS :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GB FE
Weā€™ve got one 4 year old and planning for one more. 2 small dogs as well. Have another SUV for longer hauls though.

Do appreciate the size of the F-150 could be great going forward. And even if I sell at a profit, Iā€™ll probably have to spend all that to replace it at a later date if I change my mind.

Think I need to just drive the Rivian home and see how little man fits. I hear itā€™s also a lot higher and no running board options right now.

I havenā€™t kept a car for more than 2 years in along time though, so it ainā€™t like Iā€™m marrying whatever I decide. Although once normal car depreciation kicks back in and with the rising cost of new EVs, Iā€™m gonna have to stop all these crazy games sooner or later.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Other thing, is R1T gets 254 real-world mile range @ 70MPH compared to Lightning's 270 mile range under same condition. I guess it's only a 16 mile difference, but still....

OP
OP

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GB FE
Rivian is posting better highway range than the Lightning when your not on the 20ā€ All Terrians. Iā€™m not an off roader so chose the 22ā€ Sports instead. I think it will top 300. R1T is a more efficient vehicle as long as you donā€™t go with the off road tires.

AkayRiviannnn07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
Same dilemma here. I love alot of things about my R1T but the back seat is tight with two car seats. There is less leg room but it is wider than my previous Mach e. My wife can sit in between the two car seats if needed. There was so much more room in the Lightning on my test drive though. And I really like the interior door handle placement in the ford.

I am getting 2.3 m/kw in my 20 AT tires currently in mostly all purpose mode. I would expect that to go higher if I used Conserve mode more and dropped the ride height.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You've acknowledge the utility of the pickup truck is not a big deal. So it comes down to do you like hauling (showing of your truck to) people or not. Mid Size trucks are for single people or couples with no kids or social life. Full size trucks are for families 2 parents up to 3 kids and people that like to be able to haul other full size adults. (up to 5 adults going golfing or something like that) There is literally no more comfortable vehicle for 5 full size adults then a modern crew cab pickup truck.
Not sure I would go that far. The Rivian would work fine for a family with younger children. Heck, we used an ICE mustang as a family and road trip vehicle until my kids both hit teenage years and my son could no longer sit upright in the rear seat.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
My Lightning order is in, but now moved to a ā€˜23. Iā€™m actually being warned it could be spring or later to get it because itā€™s still specā€™d with the scales and smart hitch. I couldā€™ve had an R1T already but keep waiting for the max pack battery. After getting my Rivian first mile test drive, have to say the back seat and small bed almost broke the deal. Max pack battery 400+ miles range and the gear tunnel are the only factors keeping my R1T reservation intact.
For me, the only negatives of the Lightning are the undersized brakes and less range than Iā€™d ultimately like. Iā€™m getting a Lariat with ER battery and Iā€™m glad Ford is honoring my ā€˜22 pricing. I doubt Iā€™d pay the additional $10K for the ā€˜23 when theyā€™re removing options.
If my R1T max pack shows up before my Lightning Iā€™ll probably cancel the Lightningā€¦.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I donā€™t own any of them so my opinion may not be as useful as others but I flip flopped between the two with some pros and cons for each. You have been in both forums and already know all the facts. As others have mentioned, if you could keep both for a month, that may be the best way to decide what you canā€™t live without and what bugs the crap out of you. You may find out you like the attention Rivian gets and you are hooked on R1T sport mode in curves. Or it may get on your nerves not to have a bumper and have to open a gear tunnel door every time you want to get into bed. You miss car play, ā€¦ā€¦ There may be little things about each that does not matter to others but be important to you. We all have different priorities at different times.

Here is their impression on me (not based on personal experience and may not be proven scientifically).

R1T is the hot girlfriend you show off to your friends in high school, Lightning is the wife you take home. If you keep your cars for only two years, you may want the hot girlfriend.

R1 is more efficient on the highway, F150 is more efficient when it is parked.

R1 is easier to park but F150 has more space

R1 has air suspension (you have to judge if benefits and your use of them is worth the potential complications some have experienced already). For me general comfort of the ride matters the most and it seems like less complex F150 suspension provides that and I have heard less complaint from F150 owners about noise that Rivian owners.

R1 get more attention but F150 donā€™t (not sure which one is pro and which one is con for you)

R1 has the gear tunnel but F150 has much more usable space in second row, bed and May be Frunk

F150 has higher power output for outage and many uses away from home including giving a boost to an out of juice Rivian.

R1 has a simple easy to use interface but F150 has android auto, car play, info like battery temp and you can do plug and charge with many providers.

R1 seems like a science experiment that is mighty cool to watch but I am always thinking it is better executed on my classmate table in case it blows up; too many service calls within first month of ownership and the product seems unfinished. I know the OTAs are fast and things will improve but there is no guarantees that some of the issues will ever be resolved. I doubt phantom drain will ever be as low as F150. If Rivian get into deeper financial trouble, they may make choices that negatively impact owners. But if you are keeping it for only two years, some of that may not matter much. I trust F150 a little more to get me from A to B. The question is how you get there is more important to you or If you get there?

You can get R1T with a full size spare of the same kind. F150 comes with a lesser spare and I am not sure if the spare in F150 can be replaced with the same type wheel or not.

I am currently in Ford camp because I keep my cars for a long time and Ford seem more stable, and the community around F150 will likely makes maintaining it and living with it less of an issue. Rivian service center is not that close to me and even that may not exist a few years from now. Besides I can get a Pro at almost half the price and get my feet wet in EV truck world until the tech matures a bit.

you can do all these pros and cons until you are blue but once you have driven them both for a month, how they feel will likely make your list irrelevant. Try them both and tell us your thought process in making the choice.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Having driven both and observed both...

To me, the Rivian feels like a futuristic toy from an unproven company that doesn't have an adequate support system and has been plagued with production issues since launch.

The Lightning feels like something I'm used to, something I know I like, but better.

OP
OP

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GB FE
Sold the Lightning and kept the R1T. It was a hard choice and both have pros and cons, but my mind made up when I took it on the highway. It is so planted and nimble, I enjoyed it more than the floaty feeling of the F-150. Wish the R1T had full CarPlay, but it streams just fine via Bluetooth including graphics.

Both are great. I will miss the Lightning some days, but I can always order another and wait if I really want it.
Sponsored