• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Launching the Lightning (for maximum acceleration) - can it cause damage?

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I see videos of people launching the lightning brake pedal down, accelerater down break pedal up to launch. My question is can this damage the lightning in anyway?
Sponsored

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I see videos of people launching the lightning brake pedal down, accelerater down break pedal up to launch. My question is can this damage the lightning in anyway?
I've heard you have to put it in one pedal drive and push the accelerator and let off the pedal at the same time šŸ¤”

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If torque is instantaneous on an electric motor, why ā€œrevā€ to launch?
You gain a split second because you an come off of the brakes faster than you can get to the accelerator pedal all of the way down.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Iā€™ve never heard of any actual launch sequence for the lightening.

In a BEV, Iā€™d expect a true ā€œlaunch sequenceā€ to reduce down to nothing more than software settings, that eg adjust traction control and - perhaps - synthetically ā€œviewā€ the peddle to be fully depressed upon the most initial touch of the peddle.

accordingly, makes zero sense to me that instead treating the BEV like an ICE does anything meaningful for ā€œlaunchingā€œ the Lightning - as it surely doesnā€™t initiate any software changes, and unlike an ICE thereā€™s almost no use to depressing the break while pressing the throttle (there be no apparent rev, gearing, or other consequences in a BEV)

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
You gain a split second because you an come off of the brakes faster than you can get to the accelerator pedal all of the way down.
this would seem to assume the trucks software doesnā€™t negate the intended effect.?

possible,i guess - but still nothing like a true ā€œlaunch sequenceā€

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
My concern is damaging internal components.
In videos you can see the rear set down because the truck is being held back by the brake. This method seems to launce faster opposed to just slamming the accelerater. I have test driven 3 Lightnings and it's quick enough. Mine is close to delivery and wanted to try this method but not if there's a chance of damage.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My concern is damaging internal components.
In videos you can see the rear set down because the truck is being held back by the brake. This method seems to launce faster opposed to just slamming the accelerater. I have test driven 3 Lightnings and it's quick enough. Mine is close to delivery and wanted to try this method but not if there's a chance of damage.
Would I do it every day? No - every once in a while should be fine. Kind of like revving and dumping the clutch to launch a manual transmission vehicle. Just don't do it at every stop light!

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Would I do it every day? No - every once in a while should be fine. Kind of like revving and dumping the clutch to launch a manual transmission vehicle. Just don't do it at every stop light!
Yeah I will probably try it once to see the difference.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Interested to hear a report, especially with any data

I donā€™t instinctively see or understand how Iā€™m earth this is effective, even incrementally: maybe yā€™allā€™s legs work differently than mine, but I donā€™t the latter of these two things being quicker

ā€¢ single right leg resting on full open throttle peddle slams to floor

vs

ā€¢ left leg holds down break peddle to floor, and pulls back simultaneously with; right leg holds throttle peddle at 1/2 (? 1/3?) and slams to floor

ā€˜cause again, there is no ā€œrevā€ to achieve, or gearing to quicken towards, here - the difference would be merely the reaction time needed to get the throttle peddle to the floor - and I donā€™t see involving my left leg/break release as obviously decreasing that timing

Meanwhile, Iā€™ll continue just spamming @Ford Motor Company to OTA release a launch sequence so that we might finally see how the Lightning compares to the Rivian

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Interested to hear a report, especially with any data

I donā€™t instinctively see or understand how Iā€™m earth this is effective, even incrementally: maybe yā€™allā€™s legs work differently than mine, but I donā€™t the latter of these two things being quicker

ā€¢ single right leg resting on full open throttle peddle slams to floor

vs

ā€¢ left leg holds down break peddle to floor, and pulls back simultaneously with; right leg holds throttle peddle at 1/2 (? 1/3?) and slams to floor

ā€˜cause again, there is no ā€œrevā€ to achieve, or gearing to quicken towards, here - the difference would be merely the reaction time needed to get the throttle peddle to the floor - and I donā€™t see involving my left leg/break release as obviously decreasing that timing

Meanwhile, Iā€™ll continue just spamming @Ford Motor Company to OTA release a launch sequence so that we might finally see how the Lightning compares to the Rivian
A couple differences from your thinking

1) start with the accelerator all of the way down

2) You don't need to come fully off of the brake - as soon as you release enough to move the pads away from the rotors, the truck instantly jumps forward.

In the real world this is largely meaningless - when using something like a draggy to get 0-60 times, or at a dragstrip, it can make a minor difference.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Iā€™d be interested to see if this can be held, by anything other than software

in which case the software itself may not at all be providing the type of ā€œmechanicalā€ release that is being assumed

suppose I could get anecdotal and grab my keysā€¦

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Iā€™d be interested to see if this can be held, by anything other than software

in which case the software itself may not at all be providing the type of ā€œmechanicalā€ release that is being assumed

suppose I could get anecdotal and grab my keysā€¦
Anecdotal from our MME-GT, it makes a small, but noticeable, difference.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
A couple differences from your thinking

2) You don't need to come fully off of the brake - as soon as you release enough to move the pads away from the rotors, the truck instantly jumps forward.

In the real world this is largely meaningless - when using something like a draggy to get 0-60 times, or at a dragstrip, it can make a minor difference.
There is also benefit from loading up the suspension (i.e. the squat) by holding the brake.
Sponsored