• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What is the maximum speed for the F150 Lightning?

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)
I can confirm that it does top out at 113 MPH from experience.

wait

I mean

hypothetically, yeah, that's it.
That your Mach E? Mine is limited to 113 as well. I've heard some folks got 114.

I understand the Lightning is limited to 106 but I only hit 103 at the track. I found out the straightaway at Dominion Raceway undulates. That's exciting on a Lightning suspension o_O

Fast87t

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
My 22 lightning SR hit 106 and limiter kicked in.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Mine tops at 107

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
My wife is getting her Lightning next Thursday, so I can't yet say what it is governed at, but my Ford Focus Electric has an upper limit of 140 km/h (93.2 mph) according to its speedometer.

Back in February, someone posted a question on a FFE forum asking about removing/raising the upper limit. There was various things posted speculating about why the limit was what it was and whether it would be a good idea or not to raise it. I posted this explanation about the reasoning behind such a limit:

Long before we routinely had electric cars, the railway industry started using motors to move trains in diesel-electric locomotives. They used a diesel prime mover to generate electricity used to operate the traction motors. It was found that motors have speed range that they can safely operate at.​
Minimum speed was determined by heating effects of high currents with little airflow and maximum speed was determined by how fast the motor's rotating components could spin without flying apart. Minimum speed was specified as a minimum for sustained operation. Lower speeds could be tolerated, but only for a limited amount of time.​
A gearbox was used to transmit the motors' rotation to the wheels and differed by type of locomotive. For instance, freight locomotives were typically geared to have a top speed of 65 mph which allowed a lower minimum speed for continuous operation. Passenger locomotives would be geared for a higher top speed as they didn't need to sustain the same minimum speed.​
Minimum motor speeds were a greater concern for DC motors, as rotor and/or stator coil burn-outs at low speeds could occur easily. AC motors don't eliminate this, but they are better capable of sustained low speed operations.​
Getting back to motors in EVs, the issue of a maximum top speed remains, but issues of stress on the battery are an added concern. In other words, the maximum speed is set for a very good reason. Having said that, I should also add that the maximum speed is not set to a value that, if exceeded by 1 mph, would result in the motor exploding. As is usual engineering practice, a wide margin of error is used.​
Consider the last elevator ride you took. That elevator had some maximum load, say 2000 lbs. The elevator will not break off its cable and fall if it is loaded to 2001 lbs (for the example, I'm ignoring the fact that it would not fall if the cable actually broke!). That cable was tested to find that it breaks at something significantly over the 2000 lb rating, possible as much as double. That rating is there to say that if maintained properly, it will continue to carry the stated weight for its expected lifetime. Exceeding the rating by enough will result in immediate failure, but exceeding it by smaller increments will translate in reducing its expected lifetime.​
Another example of exceeding ratings is the incandescent light bulb. A bulb may be rated for 120 volts, but if you exceed this, its life will be shortened. If you apply 240 volts to it, it will instantly fail as it does its impression of a photo flash (I've seen this happen). But it will not instantly fail if it were to be powered by 130 volts. In the case of incandescent bulbs, life expectancy reduces by approximately 50% for every 10% its rated voltage is exceeded.​
In conclusion, there is a good reason for a limit to the top speed of the motor. Increasing it will reduce life expectancy, but by how much will be something to be determined. Venture at your own risk.
Ford F-150 Lightning What is the maximum speed for the F150 Lightning? icon_e_wink

One other note: I once ran into someone with a Porsche Taycan at a charging station. He was returning from a local racetrack and was telling me that it had a 2-speed gearbox to permit a higher top speed (I don't recall what that was). I took a photo of it:
Ford F-150 Lightning What is the maximum speed for the F150 Lightning? 20200916_220052

Sponsored

GoGoGadgetTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
That your Mach E? Mine is limited to 113 as well. I've heard some folks got 114.

I understand the Lightning is limited to 106 but I only hit 103 at the track. I found out the straightaway at Dominion Raceway undulates. That's exciting on a Lightning suspension o_O
yeah sorry the Mach-E. Hypothetically.

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I was able to hit 108 on an empty stretch of highway early one morning. Does the mode have an impact? I did not have it in sport mode, and I've since been curious if I could squeak a few more mph if I were.
A few days ago I hit 107 mph on a WY desolate highway. Tried it again in sport mode and the same. Not sure of my SOC but I had charged to 80% in Cheyenne so I'm guessing I was around 50%

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Well, if you full throttle pass two cars 150’ apart banging along at 52 mph you’ll be going 90 in no time… so I’ve heard 🙄. My ‘99 7.3 F250 SD was speed limited at 94-96 as I recall. I pegged it on a 2 mile straight.… spooky and twitchy steering.

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I've never been able to get more than 105 MPH from mine, but it gets there pretty quick. 😬

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
For your funny non-answer:

It all depends on how high the airplane is that you drop the truck out of. A few hundred mph should be no problem from flight level 25 or 30.
terminal velocity of any falling object is 118mph!

Sponsored

benderofbows

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro; 2009 F-150 (SOLD); 2022 Bronco
How quickly would it drain the battery at 107?