• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Left unplugged to cold soak?

OP
OP

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pending
I did take a look at that thread, seems mostly focused on the range issues, as so many other threads are. As I said, I'm not worried about range. I will say all the posts showing power meters are very encouraging for me, because the power meter in my Tesla showed such an infinitesimal amount of available that it was barely visible, with foot to the floor I could only get up to 30 kph for the first 10 minutes.
Sponsored

Reactions: cal
OP
OP

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pending
I am in edmonton. Currently doing some projects in the garage which has meant having to leave the truck outside overnight twice. This is the result. Didn’t actually drive anywhere except to put in in the garage to warm up. Learned that 120v in the lightning won’t maintain batter temperature as it can in our model 3.
That power meter picture is exactly what I was looking for, can you confirm how long it was outdoors? And if it was plugged in at all? That looks so much better than what I was dealing with in my Tesla!

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
So can I just jump in my truck and drive off with a power meter reading this cold?

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
So can I just jump in my truck and drive off with a power meter reading this cold?
Yes. That is just the truck limiting the max output, so as long as you aren't doing something that requires high power, you're fine. And even if you try it just won't supply it. No danger in driving it.

Edited to add, I'd guess most of us driving in normal day-to-day behavior don't use much of the available power anyway. The 47% limitation shown probably wouldn't even be noticeable to most other than if trying to accelerate pretty quickly for some reason.

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
We're supposed to leave in about two hrs. Plugged in to charge closer to 100% (my daily is only 80%). Will this warm the battery, will I be able to preheat the cabin while it's charging?

Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
It will. Yes you can heat the cabin. I would suggest you add a departure time quickly. Set it to your expected departure time and warm the battery as well as the cabin.

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Won’t charging the battery warm it also?

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
I'm starting to think that no one here is crazy enough to have left their vehicle unplugged outside overnight this week. Which I can't blame people for, because it really is best not to let it happen. I was just hoping for the data point.
I guess I'm your guy...

Truck was outside unplugged as temps dropped to at least -7F (it had been unplugged longer, but temps just dropped yesterday). Today it would not start with the following errors (and would only go into accessory mode (yes, brake pedal was depressed)):

Ford F-150 Lightning Left unplugged to cold soak? 1705264571726

Ford F-150 Lightning Left unplugged to cold soak? 1705264591240

Ford F-150 Lightning Left unplugged to cold soak? 1705264608457

Plugged it in scheduled a departure. We'll see...

Ford F-150 Lightning Left unplugged to cold soak? 1705264630023

Last edited:

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I guess I'm your guy...

Truck was outside unplugged as temps dropped to at least -7F (it had been unplugged longer, but temps just dropped yesterday). Today it would not start with the following errors (and would only go into accessory mode (yes, brake pedal was depressed)):
So, when I'm at work, my truck might be outside for 12 hours in the parking lot. Are you guys saying that if the temp drops to below zero F, I might not be able to operate my Lightning because it wasn't plugged in for those 12 hours? :(

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess I'm your guy...

Plugged it in scheduled a departure. We'll see...
Forgot to mention 12V reported it was at 72%.

20 mins of charging and preconditioning solved all the issues and it started and was drivable.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pending
-7f is "only" -20c, I sure hope your experience is not typical, because if it can't handle that temperature, I will be in a lot of trouble real quick.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Won’t charging the battery warm it also?
Not like preconditioning will. In this cold for a road trip, always schedule a departure time if you want to maximize efficiency.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Yesterday I was at work for 12 hours, and the temp was just slightly below 0F. Even driving quite conservatively I certainly burned through the state of charge on the way home. I am curious once things get down to -40F here.

I have a 52 mile round trip commute, about 32 miles of it is highway (not ideal); I am not worried about making it to work and back, but for my SR if I am charging it to 80% when it is cold like this I probably am not going too many other places in a day, without charging somewhere that is.
Why not use departure time and move the 80% on up to 90 or 95%? Your battery will be warm, your cabin will be warm and you'll have more charge to make it through the day if needed.

Remember Ford is still hiding about 10% of the battery from you that you can't touch or get to.

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forgot to mention 12V reported it was at 72%.

20 mins of charging and preconditioning solved all the issues and it started and was drivable.
It was limited to 59% power, but I couldn't feel a difference compared to normal driving.

Lucky Larry

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, RX 350, GMC SIERRA, Pontiac Solstice
How does our trucks remind us to plug in at lower temperatures?

Also, one disappointment I have with Ford and the Fordpass app is not having the ability to precondition HVB battery on demand. There should be a "Precondition Now" button in the app so that you can precondition, just like hitting the remote start button. It's 10 degrees F today with minus 10 windchill. I shouldn't have to go in and schedule a departure time, to precondition the battery if I have to make an unexpected trip.

What do you guys think?
When turning off the truck after your trip, a reminder will pop up in the drivers display indicating that The air temperature is below 0 c and the truck should be plugged in.
Sponsored