• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Precondition While Unplugged?

VictorM

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Experiential Knowledge Griot
Who does this? What actually occurs when you flip this on?

Ford F-150 Lightning Precondition While Unplugged? IMG_5406
Sponsored

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Preconditioning while plugged in preconditions the battery and also uses the heat/ac to condition the cabin for your desired comfort level. That switch gives you the option to not waste battery power conditioning the cabin if you're not plugged in. It would only do the battery.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
It allows the truck's High Voltage Battery to prepare itself and the cabin for your departure time without being plugged into shore power. The reason it's an option is that it uses power from the HVB and can negatively impact overall range.

Last edited:

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
If I was designing that screen/function, I would have set that switch to say “precondition the battery while unplugged” and have if off by default. My assumption is most people more often than not want the cabin warm but won’t see the benefit from heating the battery for their short daily drive to the office.

The only concern I would have with driving with a cold battery is that it seems like Ford does not reduce regen when battery is cold and I am not sure how much damage that does long term.

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
This is what Ford used to call "Scheduled Start". Throwing the word "precondition" in really makes no sense.

This function is just like remote starting your truck. You can just schedule it in advance. It warms or cools your cabin, and does nothing for the battery.

Sponsored

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
This function is just like remote starting your truck. You can just schedule it in advance. It warms or cools your cabin, and does nothing for the battery.
. . . . if the truck is unplugged. If the truck is plugged in when a scheduled departure time approches, the truck will use shore power to precondition the battery - and warm/cool the cabin or not, depending on that switch setting. It also may or may not warm the steering wheel, which may or may not work for the duration of your next drive.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
It allows the truck's High Voltage Battery to prepare itself and the cabin for your departure time without being plugged into shore power. The reason it's an option is that it uses power from the HVB and can negatively impact overall range.
Incorrect. Precondition while unplugged "only preconditions the cabin'. Using battery energy to "prepare itself" to thus be more efficient would be the proverbial dog chasing its tail. Its Pointless.

I 100% agree with @Pioneer74 that Ford's terminology here causes unneccesary confusion .

OP
OP
VictorM

VictorM

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Experiential Knowledge Griot
This is what Ford used to call "Scheduled Start". Throwing the word "precondition" in really makes no sense.

This is the correct answer. The only thing this setting does is allow you to schedule a departure time to warm the truck without being plugged in (and not using the FordPass app).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stalemate

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Mustang, 2007 F-150 XLT, 2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Utility Electrician
I use this so the cabin is warm when I leave for work in the morning. My commute is short so I don't plug in every night.
My eventual plan is to do most of my charging AT work, but I need to sneak in a 240v outlet somewhere :)

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
If I was designing that screen/function, I would have set that switch to say “precondition the battery while unplugged” and have if off by default. My assumption is most people more often than not want the cabin warm but won’t see the benefit from heating the battery for their short daily drive to the office.

The only concern I would have with driving with a cold battery is that it seems like Ford does not reduce regen when battery is cold and I am not sure how much damage that does long term.
I can warm the battery quickly by over accelerating and coasting for 10 -15 minutes (without one-pedal). Works great!

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I can warm the battery quickly by over accelerating and coasting for 10 -15 minutes (without one-pedal). Works great!
Kyle Conner from Out of Specs did that too. I know high Power coming out of cold battery is safer than going in but I am not sure if I want to put tires and other components of the truck through that repeatedly to get a little energy back. if it is beginning of a long trip, may be. There is a reason Fisker Ocean limits it’s boost mode to only 500 times for the life of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Kyle Conner from Out of Specs did that too. I know high Power coming out of cold battery is safer than going in but I am not sure if I want to put tires and other components of the truck through that repeatedly to get a little energy back. if it is beginning of a long trip, may be. There is a reason Fisker Ocean limits it’s boost mode to only 500 times for the life of the vehicle.
I do it at low speed between. 35 and 45 depending on the road and take advantage of small hills for coasting. Just small surges in speed followed by a short coast so it's similar to normal driving.

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
There is a reason Fisker Ocean limits it’s boost mode to only 500 times for the life of the vehicle.
Because they made a shitty car. Your truck isn’t going to fall apart because you were heavy on the accelerator. People have been taking these to drag strips.
Sponsored