• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Level 2 Charging Fault

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have been having a similar problem since the most recent update. I have two Gen2 Tesla HPWC either of which will supply 64A.

They are at the same location so the truck does not distinguish between them in its charge settings.

Since the update a week ago, the truck will successfully charge off either of these chargers exactly once. At the next visit after that it will start/stop/start/stop charging in a cycle of about 15 sec (I can hear the contactors in the HPWC cycle) until eventually notifying me in the app that it is unable to charge and to try unplugging/replugging or contact service. Happens regardless of which of the 2 HPWC units and which of my 3 different 80A Tesla->1772 adapters I use. Probably needless to say I can charge my wife's car or any of our neighbors' various cars on either of these chargers with no problem.

Driving away and charging even briefly at another location seems to fix things - for one cycle.

I think one of the recent two supposed "DC charging" updates have broken AC charging somehow, and that there is some complicated interaction with the charge location history.
I have a similar issue at a marina I occasionally visit - it sometimes takes 4 or 5 plug/unplug tries to get the HPWC to talk to the Lightning. Works everytime with our Tesla and another patrons Bolt. There’s definitely something wacky or wrong with Fords AC charging software - since the Tesla HPWC and J1772 protocol are compatible with passive adapters.

I’m not sure it’s related but I still don’t understand why we don’t have an adjustable slider % for the truck that can be a fixed value regardless of location. I always leave the Tesla at 90% unless I’m on a road trip and need 100% and it’s way less of a headache than having to setup charging locations for everywhere I plug in
Sponsored

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
My Lightning has been charging perfectly with my two Gen2 HPWCs since I bought it a year ago. And it still does since the last update- so long as I charge somewhere else in between sessions!

Same thing with the Livingston-branded 32A L2 chargers at a local business that I have started using to work around this problem. It appears I can't start a charge on them either unless I drive far enough away between sessions and charge somewhere else.

This would be a real problem if I were somewhere with only one L2 charger within walking distance!

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Driving away and charging even briefly at another location seems to fix things - for one cycle.

I think one of the recent two supposed "DC charging" updates have broken AC charging somehow, and that there is some complicated interaction with the charge location history.
On a hunch, I just checked my charge history in the app and it's totally scrambled. Sessions listed as on the wrong charger, sessions missing, etc.

Something is definitely corrupting data. Others here complain that their saved charge locations don't trigger if they're at the other end of the same parking lot, but I'm seeing sessions from a lot a half mile away listed as if they were at home.

What this has to do with the more serious problem - the inability to charge anywhere more than once in a row - I couldn't say. I am wondering about deleting all my saved charge locations and doing a BMS reset, though.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I’m not sure it’s related but I still don’t understand why we don’t have an adjustable slider % for the truck that can be a fixed value regardless of location.
This!!!
@Ford Motor Company pass it up the chain as far as you can and as often as you can. Simplify the process and just give us a universal charge limit.

OP
OP
Walle1jm

Walle1jm

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning SR XLT 312A
Latest update from the dealer was that the OBCC was replaced to clear U3000 code but did not fix the charging issue. They have no ordered the SOBDM which should arrive in a few days.

As of right now, does not appear to be an issue with the actual onboard charger underneath the bed but time will tell as they continue to diagnose.

Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I have a similar issue at a marina I occasionally visit - it sometimes takes 4 or 5 plug/unplug tries to get the HPWC to talk to the Lightning. Works everytime with our Tesla and another patrons Bolt. There’s definitely something wacky or wrong with Fords AC charging software - since the Tesla HPWC and J1772 protocol are compatible with passive adapters.

I’m not sure it’s related but I still don’t understand why we don’t have an adjustable slider % for the truck that can be a fixed value regardless of location. I always leave the Tesla at 90% unless I’m on a road trip and need 100% and it’s way less of a headache than having to setup charging locations for everywhere I plug in
This might be a stupid question if it's something you were already aware of, but almost every tesla to J1772 adapter I've had has come with instructions to plug the Tesla connector into the adapter first and wait around 30 seconds before connecting the adapter to your vehicle. If I don't follow this guidance, issues can sometimes arise. Are you doing this before plugging in your Lightning?

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
This might be a stupid question if it's something you were already aware of, but almost every tesla to J1772 adapter I've had has come with instructions to plug the Tesla connector into the adapter first and wait around 30 seconds before connecting the adapter to your vehicle. If I don't follow this guidance, issues can sometimes arise. Are you doing this before plugging in your Lightning?
Correct, I plug the adapter into the cord first then the whole thing into the car, so when the car first senses the plug-in the communication path to the charger is complete.

OP
OP
Walle1jm

Walle1jm

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update - dealership called and replacing the SOBDM today fixed the level 2 charging issue and it is currently charging successfully on the dealerships level 2 charger!

My dealer has been in contact with Ford engineers and might be shipping the old SOBDM back to Ford for them to look at.

Last edited:

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
glad this fixed your issue. When mine when out I could no longer charge at home and got the red ring every time I tried AC charging. DCFC was working fine, but they had to replace my entire charging port and the onboard AC-DC converter, which required waiting on a part for a week or more and two days in the shop to take everything apart and put it back together.

OP
OP
Walle1jm

Walle1jm

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
glad this fixed your issue. When mine when out I could no longer charge at home and got the red ring every time I tried AC charging. DCFC was working fine, but they had to replace my entire charging port and the onboard AC-DC converter, which required waiting on a part for a week or more and two days in the shop to take everything apart and put it back together.
Yeah frankly since I had the same issue as you I’m surprised mine wasn’t the same repair. It’s been a little over two weeks without the truck and I definitely miss it!

Until I go a few months and it consistently charges at home like it used to I’ll of course be a little skeptical.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Walle1jm

Walle1jm

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning is back in my possession from the dealer! Here’s the service notes in case anyone is interested or they help anyone:

VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN. CHECKED FOR CODES
FOUND U3000-49 AND P1A3C-00
PINPOINT TEST BB1 NO
BB2 CONNECTED VEHICLE TO EVSE DID NOT CHARGE.
NECESSARY TO REPLACE OFF BOARD CHARGER.
REPLACED OFF BOARD CHARGER. RESOLVED CODE P1A3C-00, BUT STILL NOT CHARGING
INSTALLED LK9Z 14G672 C : MODULE - OFF BOARD CHARGE
INSTALLED LK9Z 10B689 J : CHARGER - BATTERY
INSTALLED DS7Z 19B596 A :KIT - AIR CONDITIONING SY
INSTALLED 9W7Z 19B596 A :KIT
INSTALLED DL3Z 19B596 B :”O” RING
INSTALLED HL3Z 19B596 A :KIT
INSTALLED VC 13DL G :ANTI-FREEZE
PIN POINT TEST ON CODE U3000-49 AH1 NO CHECK
FOLLOWING DIAGNOSTIC. NECESSARY TO REPLACE SOBDM.
PULLED FRUNK RECOVERED AC AND REPLACED SOBDM AND PROGRAMMED AND RECHARGED AC AND REINSTALLED FRUNK., TESTED VEHICLE IS NOW CHARGING CORRECTLY.

I also had them address TSB 22-2395 at the same time since it was there for over 2 weeks along with making sure the latest software was installed. I did receive the latest update which now shows the state of charge percentage on the main instrument cluster screen which is really nice.

Dealer was a ways away and charged up at a local EA and there were 4 other Mach-E’s there and two other Lightning owners… I should have taken a pic. Always great to meet nice people at the charging stations and discuss our public DC fast charging trials and tribulations!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Lightning is back in my possession from the dealer! Here’s the service notes in case anyone is interested or they help anyone:

VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN. CHECKED FOR CODES
FOUND U3000-49 AND P1A3C-00
PINPOINT TEST BB1 NO
BB2 CONNECTED VEHICLE TO EVSE DID NOT CHARGE.
NECESSARY TO REPLACE OFF BOARD CHARGER.
REPLACED OFF BOARD CHARGER. RESOLVED CODE P1A3C-00, BUT STILL NOT CHARGING
INSTALLED LK9Z 14G672 C : MODULE - OFF BOARD CHARGE
INSTALLED LK9Z 10B689 J : CHARGER - BATTERY
INSTALLED DS7Z 19B596 A :KIT - AIR CONDITIONING SY
INSTALLED 9W7Z 19B596 A :KIT
INSTALLED DL3Z 19B596 B :”O” RING
INSTALLED HL3Z 19B596 A :KIT
INSTALLED VC 13DL G :ANTI-FREEZE
PIN POINT TEST ON CODE U3000-49 AH1 NO CHECK
FOLLOWING DIAGNOSTIC. NECESSARY TO REPLACE SOBDM.
PULLED FRUNK RECOVERED AC AND REPLACED SOBDM AND PROGRAMMED AND RECHARGED AC AND REINSTALLED FRUNK., TESTED VEHICLE IS NOW CHARGING CORRECTLY.

I also had them address TSB 22-2395 at the same time since it was there for over 2 weeks along with making sure the latest software was installed. I did receive the latest update which now shows the state of charge percentage on the main instrument cluster screen which is really nice.

Dealer was a ways away and charged up at a local EA and there were 4 other Mach-E’s there and two other Lightning owners… I should have taken a pic. Always great to meet nice people at the charging stations and discuss our public DC fast charging trials and tribulations!
Wow, I’m pretty sure the “Off board charge controller” (OBCC) controls DC fast charging and has nothing to do with L2 AC charging. No wonder that didn’t fix it.

Glad your issue is resolved!

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
On a hunch, I just checked my charge history in the app and it's totally scrambled. Sessions listed as on the wrong charger, sessions missing, etc.

Something is definitely corrupting data. Others here complain that their saved charge locations don't trigger if they're at the other end of the same parking lot, but I'm seeing sessions from a lot a half mile away listed as if they were at home.

What this has to do with the more serious problem - the inability to charge anywhere more than once in a row - I couldn't say. I am wondering about deleting all my saved charge locations and doing a BMS reset, though.
This problem went away as suddenly as it appeared. I don't know what to think.

I do notice my truck now supposedly (according to the app) has an update queued, but it is the frunk chime one, that (according to the truck) was successfully installed just prior to this problem starting. And it's been "pending" for like a week now, too. I don't get it at all but I am glad that at least now I don't have to drive back and forth across town to charge.

FinsNBolts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
This is a very interesting thread because I have recently been experiencing a charge fault with the lightning. I have a very similar issue as you, but the issue is that it happens with only one charger.

My office has two lightnings. We have had the same office charger (A reliable Clipper Creek charger) and it has charged both of the lightnings fine. However, recently this charger has been giving my truck a Charge Fault exactly as you describe. It won't charge. Sometimes if I leave it plugged in or remote start the car, the charger will start briefly and then fault. Totally bizarre.

I know the charger works perfectly. It charges my other lightning without any issues. Works perfect.

I have found a really strange workaround at the moment. If I go into the Ford Pass App and delete the location and preferred charge settings for the location, the charger starts working PERFECTLY to charge the truck. It charges exactly like it is supposed to. But, if I unplug to run an errand and come back, charge fault, charge fault, charge fault. But, if I delete the "previous location" again in the Ford Pass app, voila, it starts charging again. I can recreate the problem and solution nearly every time.

I hope your dealership gets it resolved quickly. I haven't taken mine to the dealership yet because the truck charges on other AC charges and it seems like it is something software related with the truck, but hopefully the Ford BEV team can figure it out.
I just wanted to do a follow up to this post.

I am cautiously optimistic. This morning, my 22' Lightning installed the 22-PU0722-DC-CHG3 update dealing with the charging module.

Since then, I have plugged my truck into the Level 2 charger and both times, it has started charging and has not triggered the usual charge fault. So, something they did in this update may have fixed the problem. Fingers crossed it continues.

FinsNBolts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I just wanted to do a follow up to this post.

I am cautiously optimistic. This morning, my 22' Lightning installed the 22-PU0722-DC-CHG3 update dealing with the charging module.

Since then, I have plugged my truck into the Level 2 charger and both times, it has started charging and has not triggered the usual charge fault. So, something they did in this update may have fixed the problem. Fingers crossed it continues.
Follow up to my follow up. My charging issue came back and this time, nothing I could do would fix it. Removing the location and settings in the app would cause the charger to restart, but it would immediately fault again. I was able to DCFC, though.

Finally took it into the dealership for the other CSB/recall issues and had them take a look again. Bingo, SOBDM was bad. They ordered a replacement SOBDM (Part LK9Z 10B689). Ordered on emergency basis so hopefully this finally resolves the issue. I will keep you all posted.
Sponsored