• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

MY22 Lightning Production Number

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The article above cites Ford as the source as do those in the EV media. Since the media seems to have concensus on the 15,000 for 2022 per Ford, I'll go with that as the most likely.

Here's another example.

Ford will ramp up to that goal, the report said. The Lightning is scheduled to launch next spring as a 2022 model, and Ford plans to build about 15,000 trucks for the 2022 calendar year, the report said. That will reportedly increase to 55,000 in 2023.
You didn't read that article either before posting it, did you?

It clearly states:
"The Lightning was revealed in May and has been received very well, in terms of actual reservations. Ford wouldn't directly comment on production targets, however."

It then goes on to cite the Reuters article I previously linked and discloses the source was anonymous.

"The automaker is targeting annual production of 80,000 units in 2024, up from the initial target of 40,000 units, according to the report, which cites anonymous sources familiar with the matter."

How can you read that and then try to say Ford confirmed it? It very clearly says Ford did not confirm it.

Not one single article you posted cites Ford as the source. You keep posting articles proving my point.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Akovia

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
05 Tundra, ‘16 Kia Soul EV, ‘14 Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Experienced
If it makes you feel better, call it the rumor put out by Ford in every conversation with all the EV media. The "rumor" is surprisingly consistent from just about every auto media source who all cite Ford as the source.
And that’s why sources of information must be confirmed. Otherwise it is just etherweb rumor.

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
And that’s why sources of information must be confirmed. Otherwise it is just etherweb rumor.
"Ford has previously shared plans to produce 15,000 Lightning trucks in 2022, 55,000 in 2023, and 80,000 in 2024. "

Wonder who that "Ford" guy is they keep getting info from? All the articles cite Ford as their source "Ford says" "Ford will". I doubt Ford would be filling the media with identical information to all of them if Ford did not feel these were solid numbers. Doing it "off the record" is typical and has proven accurate in the past in the automotive media. See MachE.

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
"Ford has previously shared plans to produce 15,000 Lightning trucks in 2022, 55,000 in 2023, and 80,000 in 2024. "

Wonder who that "Ford" guy is they keep getting info from? All the articles cite Ford as their source "Ford says" "Ford will". I doubt Ford would be filling the media with identical information to all of them if Ford did not feel these were solid numbers. Doing it "off the record" is typical and has proven accurate in the past in the automotive media. See MachE.
You don't take the time to read what you are supposedly reading. Not one single article above claims to have gotten their information from Ford. A news site stating something along the lines of "Ford will..." does not mean Ford was their source. Some of the articles you posted specifically state Ford was not their source. These news articles can't be any more clear than saying their source was "anonymous" or Ford "declined to confirm."

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
It's so OBVIOUS from all the most recent quotes from "Ford", that the earliest inventions and plans have CHANGED.
Every single day the folks that work at Ford that are responsible for the decisions that result in production plans have been working on increasing the production of the EV product line. While that doesn't currently translate into a specific number that we can quote as guaranteed MY2022 Lightnings, it's intentional pessimism to hang on to 15,000 as the number.

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
Darren Palmer from Ford on InsideEv podcast stated that there would be MORE than 15,000-18,000 MY2022 Lightnings produced as well as the ability to surge additional volume from existing F150 lines and confirmed 80,000 to 90,000 Lightnings starting in MY2023. There is your FORD internal source and he does state the 80K to 90K number while dancing around the competitive advantage language for MY2022.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
There is your FORD internal source
And the 15,000 is number he uses. It sounds consistent and all the EV media reporters in the podcast all use the 15,000 first year.

Sponsored

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Darren Palmer from Ford on InsideEv podcast stated that there would be MORE than 15,000-18,000 MY2022 Lightnings produced as well as the ability to surge additional volume from existing F150 lines and confirmed 80,000 to 90,000 Lightnings starting in MY2023. There is your FORD internal source and he does state the 80K to 90K number while dancing around the competitive advantage language for MY2022.
Thanks... I knew this was out there somewhere but couldn't find it when I needed it.

It's kind of odd that InsideEv is one of the media companies still citing the incorrect numbers for 2022 in recent articles, yet they have Darren Palmer himself clearly stating in their own interview that 15,000 in 2022 was never released by Ford and was inaccurate.

Sometimes I feel like the news doesn't even try to fact check before publishing.

I appreciate you helping keep the info relayed in this forum accurate!

Last edited:

SCC17605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
67 Camaro, 02 F150
Thanks... I knew this was out there somewhere but couldn't find it when I needed it.

It's kind of odd that InsideEv is one of the media companies still citing the incorrect numbers for 2022 in recent articles, yet they have Darren Palmer himself clearly stating in their own interview that number was never claimed by Ford and was not accurate.

Sometimes I feel like the news doesn't even try to fact check before publishing.

I appreciate you helping keep the info relayed in this forum accurate!
This is pure assumption and not what he said at all. He never says that in the Inside EV interview or others he has done. In the interview you guys reference (@ 5 min mark to save you time), he specifically states the 15-18k production number being thrown around is “not accurate”. He never says it is higher or lower, only stating they don’t give out production numbers due to competition issues. I personally believe it will be higher but so far there has been no numbers from Ford so speculation only spreads rumors like this and makes people angry when their day 2 order somehow isn’t scheduled for production next year.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
He doesn't say that Ford will produce more than the numbers that were quoted in the Reuters article. He says the Reuters numbers are not accurate and that he has worked to increase production from some other unspecified number.

I'd guess they intend to produce more than 18K MY2022, but Ford has not made any official announcements about this.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
Amazing what FORD is capable of doing!
The F-150 is Fords pride and joy. According to this article Ford is capable of producing, on average, over the past three years, 103 F-series trucks per hour. I tend to believe Ford will increase production enough to keep us all happy, at least the first few that bothered to place a reservation within the first week. Why did Ford stop the reservation on Dec. 8? Maybe Ford is telling us, that the current reservation is in fact exceeding their planned production rates, due to some constraints, for the 2022 and 2023 model years?
Think positive people.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/truck...ges-over-100-f-150-pickups-sold-per-hour-247/
Sponsored