• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

NACS to CCS1 adapter now available!

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
It will be rough if the cable isn't lengthened, but at some chargers (like the one close to me here in Vegas), the end units could be used with us only taking one space. But... my observation is that the end most spots get taken first by the Tesla's charging.
A better solution would be having the adapter be 5ft in length. However, since the cables are liquid cooled, I doubt it's possible.
Sponsored

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
I would like to see an adapter that was thin enough that I could plug it in and close the charge port door. In that case I would install the adapter and leave it in place. I am not sure if there is enough room between the door and the charge port but I think that would be the Ideal adapter solution.

Last edited:

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
We should be careful about confusing the Magic Dock chargers with standard SuperChargers. Magic Doc chargers already support NACS/CCS and have the adapter available at the charging station and we can use them today if available in your area. Other Tesla SuperChargers that would require a separate user-supplied adapter may not yet support NACS/CCS yet although they may soon.
  • Tesla needs to update their superchargers to communicate with NACS/CCS vehicles using the NACs standard if they haven't already. The communication protocol for NACS is the CCS standard, however, SuperChargers use a proprietary Tesla protocol. Currently, they plan to do this only for V3 chargers. This is not Ford-specific and they've done it already for the Magic Doc chargers so if anyone has managed to get their hands on an adapter, let us know if it works on other V3 chargers.
  • Ford/Tesla backend communication is planned for spring 2024 - This will certainly be needed if activation/payments will be integrated into FordPass.
I think it depends on how Tesla rolls out their NACS/CCS update for the SuperChargers, but that step is absolutely needed before any adapter will work.

I expect if there are early adopters giving the adapters a try, we'll hear about the success or failures. Let us know as soon as you've been able to get a NACs adapter to work on a V3 SuperCharger. :cool:

We will probably have a better view of Ford's plans to send the adapters to "every Ford EV owner" in early 2024.

Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
What are you basing that on? That’s over 400 amperes.
This chart I found one time showing 6 feet of uncooled cable. v3 superchargers operate at 400v (blue line), looks like 6 feet of cable would be able to handle it and weigh 45lbs. Now, let's take into account that we only really need an extra 4 feet or so, and also can relax the cooling scenario a bit because it isn't something that will be used repeatedly by customers all day long every day.

Ford F-150 Lightning NACS to CCS1 adapter now available! 1689012895597

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
*"This product is for presentation purposes. Tesla hasn't yet opened their supercharger network to all EV's.
This product will be very useful around 2024/2025."

Several Supercharger locations, mainly in NY and CA, were recently retrofit with 'magic boxes'(an adapter) for CCS vehicles to be able to charge, so it's possible that having their app might could work at 'any' Tesla location, but that yet remains to be seen.
on the subject of adapting CCS vehicles to Tesla chargers: Tesla has to open up their 'network' at Superchargers to first ALLOW CCS vehicles to plug-n-charge there... I'm not sure any of that has happened yet, even IF you CAN by and adapter, upload their charging app, register your CCS vehicle, and then be able to activate and pay at one of their chargers. *the ad you link to actually even says this.

It also seems to be a VERY EXPENSIVE adapter to do such a simple task.

On the other hand, another adapter in my arsenal would not be a bad idea - giving you more charging options and locations in the future. I'll wait for the lower-cost alternative to eventually show. Ford is supposed to send us one already, Free.

I just used one of those for the first time and had to try three different chargers in red hook before the third one (on my second try) finally worked. And this is supposed to be the best network....? I'm curious why this charger negotiation is so hard to get right...

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
A better solution would be having the adapter be 5ft in length. However, since the cables are liquid cooled, I doubt it's possible.
I think the best solution is to build pull through chargers. If we could park beside the chargers, just like you do with a gas pump, the length wouldn't be an issue. That's really how all future stations should be built.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I think the best solution is to build pull through chargers. If we could park beside the chargers, just like you do with a gas pump, the length wouldn't be an issue. That's really how all future stations should be built.
Agree. That doesn't solve the issue with the massive amount already installed though.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Agree. That doesn't solve the issue with the massive amount already installed though.
Nope, I do wonder what the cost differences would be between shifting the units so they could be pull in/pull through or having to change out all the cables. I'd assume the cables would be the cheaper way to go, especially with how most of the stations are currently setup, but it would be nice for everyone to switch moving forward at least.

Sponsored

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I have charged several times at the Tesla superchargers in Brewster, NY. The magic dock is an excellent solution. The big issue is the length of the super charger cable. You basically need to take up two spots and position the truck as close as possible. I hope that any “adapters” offered by an OEM will include an additional few feet of cable, otherwise there will be some pissed off people who can’t access a charger because a non Tesla is taking up two spaces.
This is very unlikely. Unless they severely limit the current through the adapter, it would likely need some form of cooling if there was any significant length of cable.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You're not going to see widespread changing of existing stations to pull-through, if for no other reason than they aren't going to get the space from the site. While Tesla clearly has some charging only sites, many locations are mall / grocery store / etc. parking lots. As a parking lot owner, I'm not going to give you the equivalent of 2-3 lanes of my parking.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
You're not going to see widespread changing of existing stations to pull-through, if for no other reason than they aren't going to get the space from the site. While Tesla clearly has some charging only sites, many locations are mall / grocery store / etc. parking lots. As a parking lot owner, I'm not going to give you the equivalent of 2-3 lanes of my parking.
I'd think that they could just reposition the chargers so that they would be beside the cars instead of in front of them, but that adds additional costs with having to reroute everything, plus you'd still probably lose at least one parking space in additional width you'd have to add to accommodate them. Either way, it's gonna be cheaper to retrofit with longer cables.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
According to this article Ford CEO Jim Farley revealed, "all existing Ford EV owners will receive NACS adapters".

This implies free, but I'll believe it when I see it. Also, this should not only include Lightning and MME owners, but also Focus Electric owners (at least MY 2017 and 2018, which have CCS charging).
And also E-Transit owners

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
As a parking lot owner, I'm not going to give you the equivalent of 2-3 lanes of my parking.
Give? No. But, for the right rent and the many underused parking lot locations, I'll bet a lot of chargers can be converted, especially when v2s are upgraded. Tesla will be motivated to sell more 50¢ kilowatts.
Sponsored