• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

NACS to CCS1 adapter now available!

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
A2Z EV Shop is advertising a NACS to CCS1 adapter for $307. I’m not sure what use it will be since Tesla still hasn’t opened up their network to non-Tesla users. Maybe one of our intrepid members will buy and try to use it.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
*"This product is for presentation purposes. Tesla hasn't yet opened their supercharger network to all EV's.
This product will be very useful around 2024/2025."

Several Supercharger locations, mainly in NY and CA, were recently retrofit with 'magic boxes'(an adapter) for CCS vehicles to be able to charge, so it's possible that having their app might could work at 'any' Tesla location, but that yet remains to be seen.
on the subject of adapting CCS vehicles to Tesla chargers: Tesla has to open up their 'network' at Superchargers to first ALLOW CCS vehicles to plug-n-charge there... I'm not sure any of that has happened yet, even IF you CAN by and adapter, upload their charging app, register your CCS vehicle, and then be able to activate and pay at one of their chargers. *the ad you link to actually even says this.

It also seems to be a VERY EXPENSIVE adapter to do such a simple task.

On the other hand, another adapter in my arsenal would not be a bad idea - giving you more charging options and locations in the future. I'll wait for the lower-cost alternative to eventually show. Ford is supposed to send us one already, Free.

Last edited:

jpblincoln

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Rivian said they would be free. Ford and GM said they would make the adapters available which doesn't necessarily mean free. I understand Tesla is making the adapter. Tesla sells a CCS1 to NACS for around $150 so I think it will be similar in price.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
According to this article Ford CEO Jim Farley revealed, "all existing Ford EV owners will receive NACS adapters".

This implies free, but I'll believe it when I see it. Also, this should not only include Lightning and MME owners, but also Focus Electric owners (at least MY 2017 and 2018, which have CCS charging).

RCSarge

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Iconic Silver
Occupation
Executive
I have charged several times at the Tesla superchargers in Brewster, NY. The magic dock is an excellent solution. The big issue is the length of the super charger cable. You basically need to take up two spots and position the truck as close as possible. I hope that any “adapters” offered by an OEM will include an additional few feet of cable, otherwise there will be some pissed off people who can’t access a charger because a non Tesla is taking up two spaces.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I wouldn't send this company my money. Besides is listed as sold out. Even if it wasn't "sold out" it is a product that doesn't exist yet and won't work.

ALAN BORER

First Name
ALAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F250
Occupation
RETIRED
*"This product is for presentation purposes. Tesla hasn't yet opened their supercharger network to all EV's.

Several Supercharger locations, mainly in NY and CA, were recently retrofit with 'magic boxes'(an adapter) for CCS vehicles to be able to charge, so it's possible that having their app might could work at 'any' Tesla location, but that yet remains to be seen.
on the subject of adapting CCS vehicles to Tesla chargers: Tesla has to open up their 'network' at Superchargers to first ALLOW CCS vehicles to plug-n-charge there... I'm not sure any of that has happened yet, even IF you CAN by and adapter, upload their charging app, register your CCS vehicle, and then be able to activate and pay at one of their chargers. *the ad you link to actually even says this.

On the other hand, another adapter in my arsenal would not be a bad idea - giving you more charging options and locations in the future. I'll wait for the lower-cost alternative to eventually show. Ford is supposed to send us one already, Free.
I'm hoping Ford comes through with that free adapter , sooner then later , last week I went to Orlando Airport to drop off my brother , living far away from the airport I had to find a fast charger , there was one at the Orlando Mall , 12 Tesla charge stations , 2 were in use , 6 Electrify America 5 were in use , I got lucky one left and it worked ! Now if I had that adapter I wouldn't have been so stressed out ! WE need those adapters !!!

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
I'm hoping Ford comes through with that free adapter , sooner then later , last week I went to Orlando Airport to drop off my brother , living far away from the airport I had to find a fast charger , there was one at the Orlando Mall , 12 Tesla charge stations , 2 were in use , 6 Electrify America 5 were in use , I got lucky one left and it worked ! Now if I had that adapter I wouldn't have been so stressed out ! WE need those adapters !!!
Musk and Ford (along with the other auto makers) have already said it will be early 2024 before we have access to the SC network. No need to rush to get an adapter that may or may not work when that happens...

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
I think Tesla will start to retrofit their existing Superchargers with longer cables once CCS is opened up... they realize that their shorter cables just don't work for the rest of us...as well as chargers and parking spaces so compact, close together, and with no ability to come at the charger from a differing angle, except for a precious few.

ChrisInVegas

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have charged several times at the Tesla superchargers in Brewster, NY. The magic dock is an excellent solution. The big issue is the length of the super charger cable. You basically need to take up two spots and position the truck as close as possible. I hope that any “adapters” offered by an OEM will include an additional few feet of cable, otherwise there will be some pissed off people who can’t access a charger because a non Tesla is taking up two spaces.
It will be rough if the cable isn't lengthened, but at some chargers (like the one close to me here in Vegas), the end units could be used with us only taking one space. But... my observation is that the end most spots get taken first by the Tesla's charging.

Sponsored

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor

Source? And where?

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
If it's as simple as following a spec to manufacture the adapter, then this is really good news. The biggest issue we will face next year is going to be availability of these things. If it's a relatively simple device that can be replicated by off-brand manufacturers like tesla taps, etc... then maybe there will actually be enough of these things to go around once superchargers open up.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
Source? And where?

the product advertisement actually STATES this on one of their pictures in the ad... they know that they are simply getting ahead of the game, but that no one can actually USE this product yet. Even if you were to pull up to a Tesla Supercharger with their 'magic dock' integrated, you wouldn't be able to use this adapter since Tesla is already providing the attached adapter. If you were to use this adapter at any other Supercharger, Tesla would simply say that you don't have an account, or your vehicle is not available to use that Supercharger, etc...

So, it's just advertising. You can't even get it ... it's "SOLD OUT", per their own advertisement.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
An adapter with a few extra feet of length could get a bit heavy and costly as thicker conductors will be needed for the extension than the charger's main cable uses.

The main cable gets away with using lighter conductors as they are liquid cooled.
Sponsored