• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Never trust the dashboard, EPA and Ford.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Let's plot two lines in excel with absolutely zero background information other than a claimed 86 unit sample pool and call it "proof"...

"Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics"

But you're partially right in that the EPA cycle does not reflect normal use, but that's hardly Fords (or any other vehicle manufacturers) fault.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree there buddy...
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Do you have a link to the study or the raw data? "86 different drivers" is not the positive that you seem to think that it is, statistically speaking.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Now that we’re experiencing temps in 70’s and 80’s, I’m getting 2.4 mI/kWh. Ford said 48kWh per 100 miles on window sticker.
Should I be angry?
Not at all. I am at 2.7 miles per kilowatt hour, which equals 37.04 kilowatt hours per 100 miles. This is after 15,000 miles of driving.

JohnnyEV

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Here is the honest truth EV Range is not consistent. It can fluctuate wildly. You have 86 results and how many variables? Time of day, driving speed, Wind Speed, Truck load, passenger count, pro power usage, climate control usage, terrain, etc. No one test can account for all of that. Take notice when you drive the same route a few times, you will get different results.

Sponsored

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
One year and 23k miles in with my Lariat ER. Yes, you can trust the guess-o-meter, even when it can be wildly pessimistic. We do a lot of road tripping in our truck. I did 880 miles this weekend through seven states, experiencing temps from 42F to 82F. Averaged 2.3mi/kWh for the whole trip. On our various driving legs, as low as 1.8/1.9 up in Maine and as high as 2.7mi/kWh.

There are a lot of variables with EV range, just as there are with an ICE vehicle. With experience behind the wheel of my Lightning, I know very well how much I can push it, be it the mountains for the northeast or the flat plains of the Midwest.

Coming up to 70k miles of EV road-tripping adventures across different vehicles, I do my own charging plans. I anticipate contingencies of busy or broken chargers. I always have a plan B for where I will be charging. I’ve never been left walking or stranded. Heck, I was even able to charge during a massive multi blackout where people weren’t able to pump gas.

I love this truck!

Ford F-150 Lightning Never trust the dashboard,  EPA and Ford. IMG_5061

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Cause you don't leave in Canada first...
The service is not even near of what you have in the US.
I M an old customer who buy around 4 pickups a year whit my company and when you ask a questions to the dealer, I have an answer only if it's not about an EV... F250 and F350 they know everything. Lightning not so much
Depends where you live in Canada. Not all of Canada is cold, IE: Vancouver BC.

Dan C

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning lariat, 2022 Chevy bolt
Occupation
retired
The dashboard always shows the EPA standards, not your driving history.

What is the purpose of the EPA, helping Ford sell more EVs with good stats? Is it lying about performance or range expectations because it's a US company?

The standard EPA estimate for the Lightning is pathetic. We find that the autonomy of our Lightnings is poor in cold weather. In fact, the autonomy is really bad regardless of the temperature, it's just worse in the winter.

As you can see, over 86 units, the supposed range expected was never achieved.

I know many frustrated American owners... but you're not the worst. Ford sells in Canada (colder) with the same autonomy claim as the US. The Canadian Government can't say no to Ford and the Economic Protection Agency.

Screenshot_20240428_155102_Samsung Internet.png
The EPA ratings are suspect in all vehicles, ICE or electric. I know how to drive both to get the economy I want.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
The dashboard always shows the EPA standards, not your driving history.

What is the purpose of the EPA, helping Ford sell more EVs with good stats? Is it lying about performance or range expectations because it's a US company?

The standard EPA estimate for the Lightning is pathetic. We find that the autonomy of our Lightnings is poor in cold weather. In fact, the autonomy is really bad regardless of the temperature, it's just worse in the winter.
Just keep in mind that the phrase "Your mileage may vary" isn't something new, it has applied to ICE vehicles for decades and it's only used as a guide so you have some sense of how one vehicle generally compares to others.

There are way too many variations from driver to driver to predict gas or EV ranges to list here, but suffice it to say that among other things are your average driving speed, whether you climb a lot of hills, or drive with heavier loads (passengers and/or cargo).

I live in New York City, where the speed limit on 90% of the roads is 25 mph... Yes, 25 mph, and they have cameras that ticket you when you go around 34 or more. The maximum highway speed is 50, but you're lucky you can go 30 when you drive at rush hour.

My Standard Range battery has an EPA of 211. When I drive in the summer in NYC, my range has been as high as 300. If I drive in New Jersey, 15 miles away where the highway speed is 65, and you can reach 70 and climb some hills, the range will be closer to the EPA.

Sponsored

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
It's pretty simple for me. I live in Canada. I drove 300km (about 185mi) of highway miles Saturday and 300km Sunday starting each day at 85% SOC. I charged overnight so no explicit charge stops. It cost less than $1/100km for the electricity (ULO in Ontario). When you move to EV, there are adjustments. If you can't adjust due to your personal circumstances, then today's EVs may not be for you.
For me - I will never go back. Did I mention less than $1/100km? (Thats about $1.17USD/100mi)

62F1004x4

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1962 F100 2023 F150 Lightning SR
Occupation
Maintenance
A couple of good points here in this thread. First is that many people are not experienced with EVs and are not able to understand the 30-40% range hit driving on the highway in cold weather. This really is not the same as a Gas vehicle that they are used to. I understand comparing apples to apples by the EPA but for every trip the range is inaccurately shown on the dashboard so when planning a trip you can’t rely on the display. This really can cause range anxiety and is a stress on a highway trip when it corrects by dropping significantly. Other EVs I’ve have are much more accurate and don’t require to do the math as you drive. As others have posted the range GOM in the ‘22 models was more accurate and then Ford changed it, not for the better.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
My long run average (almost 2 yrs) is 2.1mpk in a cold weather climate. 2.4-2.5 in the warmer months, which matches EPA estimate. I'm probably 60% highway driving and I'm usually traveling 70-80 on the highway. I think the estimate is fine if you understand what it means, although I agree it's not a good methodology on the whole. It doesn't give a customer realistic expectations, especially in cold weather climates.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I guess I have bone to pick with Ford - I got 10% - 25% more miles than the EPA sticker!

That's because: warm climate year around, urban traffic, low speeds under 40MPH, no climate controls, and nothing in the truck to weigh it down.

Should I file a complaint ?
Sponsored