• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

NH EV fee

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Those fees aren’t unreasonable.

”Live Free or Die!”

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, 2019 Fusion Energi, 2016 Escape
Ohio is 2X this. $200 Additional for BVEV OR PHEV, and $100 for a hybrid. The $200 for PHEV and $100 for hybrids is really grating, as both of those vehicles use gas, and the PHEV has a very short EV range for most cars.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
Booooo! Registration to state and town is expensive enough. I wouldn't mind if Eversource or the other companies offered a discount for EV owners, but there is a major lack of state incentives right now as pointed out in the article.

Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
At least you guys get choices.
Somewhat. Eversource is the primary provider (for most of the state) but we have "resellers" like Direct Energy that can offer cheaper KW prices than Eversource themselves. I recently switched and went from .17 per KW to .11 which is big for me since I charge 5 nights a week.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
The biggest issue I see with these add ons is there is no consideration of miles driven. Since my wife and I are fully retired and maintaining my 90 yr old father, we drive like 6,000-8,000 miles a year and that’s across two vehicles. (One EV and one gas).

There is no way I would have been racking up that amount of gas taxes on the 4K-5k I might put on my Lightning.

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Somewhat. Eversource is the primary provider (for most of the state) but we have "resellers" like Direct Energy that can offer cheaper KW prices than Eversource themselves. I recently switched and went from .17 per KW to .11 which is big for me since I charge 5 nights a week.
We have access to third parties for supply rates but Eversource still gouges us on the delivery as they're the only option in town. They did give me $500 towards a networked charger, though.

As far as the original topic, this has been discussed at length as states begin to commit to electrification. The right way is to tax by category (FHWA classification) and mileage, but states realize there's no way to track mileage accurately.

To be honest, a flat tax of $100/yr is pretty reasonable., That's the equivalent gas tax ($0.25/gal) of an ICE F-150 (20 MPH combined) being driven 8000 miles/year. The national average is 13,500.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The biggest issue I see with these add ons is there is no consideration of miles driven. Since my wife and I are fully retired and maintaining my 90 yr old father, we drive like 6,000-8,000 miles a year and that’s across two vehicles. (One EV and one gas).

There is no way I would have been racking up that amount of gas taxes on the 4K-5k I might put on my Lightning.
You‘re fairly close. My 17 F150 averaged 18 MPG. So in 5000 miles, 288 gallons of gas.

Kentucky gas tax is $0.287, federal is $0.184, so 47.1 cents total. That’s $131 in gas tax paid. So you’re paying an extra $29 per year. That’s barely enough to get a decent bottle of Kentucky bourbon. 😀

I don’t put many miles on my truck, either. 2900 in 8 months of ownership. But I’d rather pay the flat fee than have them try to track my miles.

Sponsored

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
Overall as we transition to EVs, states will have to replace the state highway funds generated from gas taxes with another source of revenue. Registration taxes on EVs is a reasonable route (and likely more politically-palatable that raising overall state income or sales tax rates).

Ideally these taxes should be based on vehicle weight class and annual miles driven. For states that have annual or biannual safety inspections (HI, LA, ME, MA, MO, NH, NY, NC, PA, RI, TX, VT, VA, and WV) a mileage reading can be part of the inspection and can be used to compute the tax. For other states, the easiest approach (for both the state and the vehicle-owners) is to add a tax based on weight class to the annual registration fee.

According to the US Department of Energy, the average vehicle pays between $141 and $398 per year in fuel taxes depending on state (AK is the lowest, PA is the highest), so overall annual EV-specific taxes of $100 to $400 seem roughly reasonable.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Give us options. Either a flat fee or a mileage based tax, but let the driver opt into whichever they choose. We 3 cars at our house and combined travel around 17000 miles per year. Yes, on average 100 to 400 would be reasonable IF the vehicle is used in a typical manner. We have purchased 81.1 gallons of gasoline since March 1st, 2022, all for a phev. Most (69.7 gallons) was used during a trip to OH to visit family. Should we pay more to cover road maintenance costs than we do currently based on taxes fuel only going into a phev? Yes we should, but it should be based on actual use.

Or...the fuel tax should be eliminated completely and a flat rate charged for all vehicle registrations. Flat rate for all or mileage for all. I'd pick mileage personally, but all passenger vehicles should be treated equally.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition

You seem to be under mistaken impression that these fees really are to replace lost gasoline taxes. In fact, it's nothing more than a money grab by governments. Since EV owners are still in the minority, they figure there is no downside to it.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Or...the fuel tax should be eliminated completely and a flat rate charged for all vehicle registrations. Flat rate for all or mileage for all. I'd pick mileage personally, but all passenger vehicles should be treated equally.
This exactly, but then if you impose the fees on all cars, there is a danger that people will get upset, and turn the current set of bums out of their sinecures.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I’ll pay yours if you’ll pay mine.

KY $160 - EV Annual Registration add on fee.
Trade accepted! Wisconsin as of 7/2023 there is a surcharge to our surcharge! EV surcharge is now $175. An ICE 1/2 ton pickup is $100 so my total will be a whopping $275! Eesh!

On July 6, 2023, a new law created an additional $75 annual surcharge fee to be added and collected for electric vehicles in addition to the existing $100 annual surcharge fee. The annual combined electric surcharge fee is now $175 for electric vehicles (defined as motor vehicles propelled solely by electrical energy and not capable of using gasoline, diesel fuel, or alternative fuel).

The surcharge applies to vehicles registered as an automobile or as a light truck up to 8,000 lbs. gross weight, including dual purpose vehicles. The surcharge will be collected whenever the regular annual registration fee is paid for plate issuance and registration renewal.

However now that I read the actual writing of the law. It would seem that I should be exempt since the Gross Weight of the Lightning Extended Range is greater than 8,000 lbs? If that is the case, this would obviously be a loophole they would close up at some point.

I just went on to the DMV site and they are trying to ding me the full $275... something I may dig into further to see if I am reading this correct and can escape the surcharge and extra surcharge due to the excessive weight!?!
Sponsored