• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

On-Off Planned Departure Time?

OP
OP
nathanjaybar

nathanjaybar

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, Extended Range
Once I've used the departure time I either delete that particular entry, or delete all entries, or flip the master switch to the off position. Then on the once in a blue moon occasion that I need / want to use D-T, I switch it on and edit the settings for the particular event coming up.

BTW, since you're new around here, several of us have done cost/efficacy studies about when it's best to use departure time, especially when preparing for long road trips vs. short local trips, and the unintended inefficiency of prepping the battery for short journeys. {not worth the cost}
It just feels like these "workaround" solutions are unnecessary considering the technology available at our fingertips, and that (seemingly) simple functionality like we're discussing appears to be an oversight. I do think that as early adopters to Fords new electric endeavor, we're subject to this learning curve on their behalf. Tesla has had years to develop their software and functionality, hopefully Ford can take some learnings from these forums and general feedback, and improve the experience.

I was using the grocery store example as just that, an example. I've warmed the cabin up on short trips for my comfort, not the trucks. Although I haven't done the calculations it does make sense that preconditioning the battery for a 5 min drive down the road wouldn't be very cost effective.
Sponsored

OP
OP
nathanjaybar

nathanjaybar

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unless you are going on a journey that requires maximizing range, there is no need to precondition. Simply remote start a few minutes prior to departure.
I think that's my issue though, regarding those longer trips. We've taken several road trips already in the truck, some of which we've left at 5 or 6 in the morning. Again, I'm aware you can schedule a trip in your trip planner... go in, set a location, confirm your start location, what date you want to leave, am I towing, so forth and so on. Is it asking too much to say tomorrow at 6am be ready, regardless of where my destination is? Let's be honest, at 6am I might not be awake enough to remember to start the truck precisely 15 minutes before I step out the door.

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Cold snowy winter days are meant for READING THE EFFN MANUAL. [/RANT]
We don't get those days down here in SoFla so little down time to read manuals.... one thing though with Remote Start... You can't choose your departure state, cool-> warm... when it drops down to the 50's here it would be nice to turn on the heated seats. šŸ¤£

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I think that's my issue though, regarding those longer trips. We've taken several road trips already in the truck, some of which we've left at 5 or 6 in the morning. Again, I'm aware you can schedule a trip in your trip planner... go in, set a location, confirm your start location, what date you want to leave, am I towing, so forth and so on. Is it asking too much to say tomorrow at 6am be ready, regardless of where my destination is? Let's be honest, at 6am I might not be awake enough to remember to start the truck precisely 15 minutes before I step out the door.
Go to truck, set a departure time for tomorrow at 6AM. Done. App might work, might not work. No trip needs to be planned.

In the meantime, familiarize yourself with the manual.

OP
OP
nathanjaybar

nathanjaybar

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Go to truck, set a departure time for tomorrow at 6AM. Done. App might work, might not work. No trip needs to be planned.

In the meantime, familiarize yourself with the manual.
Thank you for that ever so thoughtful, extremely productive and non-snarky piece of advice. You've obviously missed the entire point of this discussion so feel free to start from the beginning and re-read. Let us know when you figure it out. We'll wait.

Sponsored

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
We don't get those days down here in SoFla so little down time to read manuals.... one thing though with Remote Start... You can't choose your departure state, cool-> warm... when it drops down to the 50's here it would be nice to turn on the heated seats. šŸ¤£
Go to settings in the truck and set it to auto, at that temp the seats should come on as well as the wheel (if equipped)
Ford F-150 Lightning On-Off Planned Departure Time? 1000235049

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
I posted this on another Lightning forum, but I figured I'd cast a wider net and post here too.

I'm aware you can set up planned departure times, and that it's possible through the truck and the app. What I've seen though is that you're only able to schedule reoccurring departure times, not a single departure time. For example, yesterday I knew I had to hop in the truck at 9:30am today. I also knew it was going to be 32 degrees outside so I thought it would be great to set the truck to be ready for my drive. Problem is, I want to leave only tomorrow morning at 9:30am, NOT every single Saturday at 9:30am for the foreseeable future. I also know I can plan a trip for a specific date and time, but I don't think I should have to look up the address for the supermarket and plan an entire trip to go pick up the groceries. Who cares where I'm going, all that's important is I'm leaving at 9:30am this one time. Anyone else share this feeling or have a creative solution other than trying to remember to remotely start the truck 10 min before I leave?
For me it depends on what I'm trying to accomplish. If it's before a long trip and I want to maximize efficiency, I just add a new departure time for that day/time and delete when done. If it's for comfort, and heat/cool cabin then I'll remote start 10-15 min before I am ready to go.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
It just feels like these "workaround" solutions are unnecessary considering the technology available at our fingertips, and that (seemingly) simple functionality like we're discussing appears to be an oversight. I do think that as early adopters to Fords new electric endeavor, we're subject to this learning curve on their behalf. Tesla has had years to develop their software and functionality, hopefully Ford can take some learnings from these forums and general feedback, and improve the experience.

I was using the grocery store example as just that, an example. I've warmed the cabin up on short trips for my comfort, not the trucks. Although I haven't done the calculations it does make sense that preconditioning the battery for a 5 min drive down the road wouldn't be very cost effective.
I would love one-time departures. I don't have a regular commute, and even for most folks who do it wouldn't be long enough to make it cost-effective to precondition every day. I get in the departure time settings rarely enough that I sometimes don't remember to delete my departure time until the next week when I get the notification that it's happened again.

I'd also love a "cabin-only" departure setting just like it. I usually remember to remote start on time, but I'd love to not need to remember. Or to be able to set it up for a day of pre-planned trips at a time and always come out to a warm or cool (depending on time of year) cabin. That would definitely be a nice-to-have.

Rafis29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Is there something wrong with AUTO? You set that in the truck, and every time you remote start it uses Auto. Or you can pick Last.
My mornings usually need warming at 4am. Afternoon, before leaving work, it can be hot. Then it needs to be cooling. I canā€™t change the temp during the remote start.

OP
OP
nathanjaybar

nathanjaybar

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would love one-time departures. I don't have a regular commute, and even for most folks who do it wouldn't be long enough to make it cost-effective to precondition every day. I get in the departure time settings rarely enough that I sometimes don't remember to delete my departure time until the next week when I get the notification that it's happened again.

I'd also love a "cabin-only" departure setting just like it. I usually remember to remote start on time, but I'd love to not need to remember. Or to be able to set it up for a day of pre-planned trips at a time and always come out to a warm or cool (depending on time of year) cabin. That would definitely be a nice-to-have.
I wholeheartedly agree. I'm similar to your situation where I don't have a "normal" commute schedule so I'm not in the Departure Times that often to use it, and would likely forget to turn it off if I did use it.

@Ffxdude Admittedly since it's gotten colder I do remember to start the truck prior to any trip I want a warmer cabin in. For me it was more like... why didn't they think of the one time departure time feature. Seems like a no-brainer.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My mornings usually need warming at 4am. Afternoon, before leaving work, it can be hot. Then it needs to be cooling. I canā€™t change the temp during the remote start.
I think you're not understanding the term AUTO. Auto means that if it's hot, it runs the AC. If it's cold, it runs the heat. There is no temp to change. It will bring the car to 72 degrees, period.

If you don't like that, then when you get to work set the temperature on 68 (or whatever you want), and the Remote Start settings to LAST.

Was your previous vehicle a Tesla? I've seen this "I can't set the temperature" complaint from Tesla owners.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I hate winter ... PMS {Parked Motorcycle Season}
Ford F-150 Lightning On-Off Planned Departure Time? 1704657873420

Rafis29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
I think you're not understanding the term AUTO. Auto means that if it's hot, it runs the AC. If it's cold, it runs the heat. There is no temp to change. It will bring the car to 72 degrees, period.

If you don't like that, then when you get to work set the temperature on 68 (or whatever you want), and the Remote Start settings to LAST.

Was your previous vehicle a Tesla? I've seen this "I can't set the temperature" complaint from Tesla owners.
I donā€™t manā€¦.The manual says that AUTO directs the vents to be used and the max speed at which you want to achieve the temperature YOU set. Not automatically 72Ā° every time. SO. As I understand it .

my last custom settings OR auto directed settings at my last temperature.

plus I donā€™t think 72 warms anything in the cold.

Last edited:

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
I donā€™t manā€¦.The manual says that AUTO directs the vents to be used and the max speed at which you want to achieve the temperature YOU set. Not automatically 72Ā° every time. SO. As I understand it .

I don't know what temp remote start uses, but it will automatically warm or cool the cabin to that temp. It will automatically turn on heated or ventilated seats if conditions are met.

If it's 35Ā° and auto is set to 72Ā°, it will warm exactly as fast as if it's set to 85Ā° - until it gets close to 72Ā°.

The temp w/ auto set is just like your thermostat in your house. And putting your thermostat at 85 doesn't warm your house faster than 72, either.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Your understanding is not correct. And Auto does not use Vents only at any time, Remote start or not.

REMOTE START SETTINGS
Switching Climate Control Auto Mode On and Off
1. Access the vehicle drawer on the touchscreen.
2. Press SETTINGS.
3. Press Vehicle.
4. Press Remote Start Setup.
5. Press Auto or Last settings.
Note: If you switch the auto mode on, the system attempts to heat or cool the interior to 72Ā°F (22Ā°C). When you switch the vehicle on, the climate control system returns to the last used settings.
Note: If you switch the last settings on, the system remembers the last used settings.
Heated Seat Settings (If Equipped)
2. Press SETTINGS.
3. Press Vehicle.
5. Press Seats.
6. Press Auto or Off.
Note:If you switch the heated seat settings on, the heated seats turn on during cold weather.
Heated Steering Wheel Settings (If Equipped)
2. Press SETTINGS.
3. Press Vehicle.
5. Press Seats and Steering Wheel.
6. Press Auto or Off.
Note: If you switch the heated steering wheel settings on, the heated steering wheel turns on during cold weather.
Sponsored