• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Open Tailgate Manually?

ragj1976

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Is there any possible way to open the tailgate manually? The thing takes forever to open, it would be nice to have a manual release.
Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
This is what the manual says on the manner. I typically let it open on its own but close manually.

Ford F-150 Lightning Open Tailgate Manually? Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 10.58.42 PM

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
This sounds awful. Even if I had the money to burn I would've got the XLT with a manual tailgate and "smaller" 12 inch screen lol

OP
OP

ragj1976

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Yes.. I had an instance where my 12V battery failed.. Had a tonnoue cover on the bed and couldn't get into the bed.. pain in the butt. A manual release like for the hood/frunk would be a good option.. maybe under the vehicle somewhere..

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
#Firstworldproblems

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
The manual release would have to be in the cabin if they were to do that.

I like the power tailgate, especially the up part of it.

I can afford the 4 seconds.
The power tailgate fails often enough that you can't trust it. You have to stand there and wait to make sure it doesn't change its mind at the top. If you're going to stand there, you might as well just close the damned thing.

Mine actually only properly closes less than half the time.

And it's embarrassing to use. "Hey <beep> look at me! <beep> I spent more on my tailgate <beep> than you did on your whole car! <beep beep beep>"

Put me firmly in camp manual gate.

Anyway, if it had a manual release it could be right on the top near the button for the step.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
+1 for manual release

What I hate is that it won't open unless the key fob is nearby. Just me or can anyone else open the power tailgate while the keys aren't close? Truck is unlocked, I'm out front doing yard work and want to open the tailgate to sit and get some water. No dice, had to go inside the house and grab the keys. Maybe we can get that in a OTA update?

Barrels

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 3.5L
Occupation
Retired
+1 for manual release

What I hate is that it won't open unless the key fob is nearby. Just me or can anyone else open the power tailgate while the keys aren't close? Truck is unlocked, I'm out front doing yard work and want to open the tailgate to sit and get some water. No dice, had to go inside the house and grab the keys. Maybe we can get that in a OTA update?

Well, I can open mine using the keypad at the door, then reach inside and hit the button or hit the button on the tailgate. No key fob or phone required.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
... then reach inside and hit the button or hit the button on the tailgate. No key fob or phone required.
Somehow, that hadn't occurred to me. I'm going to blame it on the sun. :D Thank you for pointing out the obvious to me.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thought I posted this, but it's not there.

Instead of reaching inside, put in your code and then press 5/6. Works on car trunks too...

Barrels

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 3.5L
Occupation
Retired
Thought I posted this, but it's not there.

Instead of reaching inside, put in your code and then press 5/6. Works on car trunks too...
i keep trying to press 5/6 and get nothing. I guess I dont have the ’touch’ yet…

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I use the tail gate button inside to open it as I get out of the truck and almost always close it manually without even thinking about it because it's so much faster.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i keep trying to press 5/6 and get nothing. I guess I dont have the ’touch’ yet…
Put in your code, THEN 5/6 right after. Not just 5/6.

Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
The power tailgate fails often enough that you can't trust it. You have to stand there and wait to make sure it doesn't change its mind at the top. If you're going to stand there, you might as well just close the damned thing.

Mine actually only properly closes less than half the time.

And it's embarrassing to use. "Hey <beep> look at me! <beep> I spent more on my tailgate <beep> than you did on your whole car! <beep beep beep>"

Put me firmly in camp manual gate.

Anyway, if it had a manual release it could be right on the top near the button for the step.
This is interesting as I don't think mine has ever failed to close. I don't truly use it often, once every couple of weeks, but it doesn't fail. No tonneau cover or anything like that on mine?
Sponsored