• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ouch!! First Electric Bill since getting the Lightning….yikes!

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Ok Let’s play nice here guys.

of course I knew my electric would go up, not down.

and of course I know that gas prices are way up. And I’m paying through the nose on my ICE of course.

it’s a whole new world for some of us in EV’s ,
so yeah, I’m curious how much impact this has on the home electric bill.

Not sure what the harm is in posting on the topic of sharing impacts on our electric Bill ? I’ve seen far worse topics …..

Summer heat must be getting to folks 😁
Could have phrased it better :)

I've seen a few facebook posts about people complaining about high electricity bills after getting an EV as if they were completely unaware of reality :)
Sponsored

OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
When did you take delivery? How many miles have you put on it? Any off-site charging?

Took delivery 7/7

849 miles racked up so far.

some off site charging on one road-trip, otherwise at home charging:

Ford F-150 Lightning Ouch!! First Electric Bill since getting the Lightning….yikes! B7FC7275-21F3-4DFC-AC58-590C51F4A26B
Ford F-150 Lightning Ouch!! First Electric Bill since getting the Lightning….yikes! 2B93B4C9-3FFE-4997-8F6C-0F6E6490CB9B

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Well it’s been a scorcher of a summer so the AC deserves some blame…..

but opening up my first electric bill since taking delivery of my Lightning was a bit “shocking “🤣!

and I don’t even have the Charge Station Pro yet.
So this is all off the Stove plug, and the standard wall outlet.

anyone else gotten whacked yet on their first electric bill ?

B05E7DC6-DFBA-4E4F-A3F0-2ED30A377ADE.jpeg
I know it's a bit of joking from you... here's what my experience has been:

In 2012, I replaced my 2004 Suburban with the Tesla S. My gasoline bill went down $400+ per month in exchange for $40 in electricity increase.

No complaints here.

Then in 2013 and 2014, I put up 18 kW solar PV and that will pay for itself in about 5 more years. Now with the exception of my orchard truck, all of my miles come from electricity.

35000 miles per year across both cars / 15 miles per gallon * $4 = $9,333 per year in gas
35000 miler per year at 3.5 cents per mile on Model S/X = $1,225 per year
Annual savings = $8,108

We've saved $80,000 roughly in fuel, 10 years of driving EV - and that doesn't count solar PV which will start offsetting this in 5 years.

(Yeah, the SUV's get much better mileage in the past decade or so and we probably would have replaced them with something better, so it probably is more like $65k or so, either way, it's a lot of money.)

PopsGG

First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
@Pjlightning

By your logs I see 70% offsite. ~94kWh
167 at home. ~224kWh

It looks like they charged you on average $0.26 per kWh.

0.26 x 224 = $59.12 to use your truck.

224kWh would get you around 471 miles at 2.1kWh per mile.

At CT average gas price $4.363 on a ICE F150 (20mpg combined) that would cost $102.62

So you saved $43.50.

Edit: Also I made the assumption that 100% of the charging on your log was inside the billing window. I didnt include offsite charging/kWh because I do not know what that cost you.

Last edited:

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
@Pjlightning

By your logs I see 70% offsite. ~94kWh
167 at home. ~224kWh

It looks like they charged you on average $0.26 per kWh.

0.26 x 224 = $59.12 to use your truck.

224kWh would get you around 471 miles at 2.1kWh per mile.

At CT average gas price $4.363 on a ICE F150 (20mpg combined) that would cost $102.62

So you saved $43.50. With home charging alone, I didnt count offsite charging.
You'll probably need to add a little bit extra for kWh used because there are some losses. You can't strictly use the % added to the battery.

Sponsored

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
Your telling me.... and they know they can price it so it looks like you are "spending the same" as you were before but "owning your equipment". these are the main reasons i havent pulled the trigger. Im looking into "project solar" now and waiting to see what they offer. They do have a DIY so thats interesting.

Project Solar is solid but I have read that the support can be a tad hit or miss. If you are up for project managing for the great price, it’s a no brainer. I personally wouldn’t do DIY and Project Solar’s installation costs are also really good.

OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Could have phrased it better :)

I've seen a few facebook posts about people complaining about high electricity bills after getting an EV as if they were completely unaware of reality :)

I hear ya 100%

I was being a bit tongue in cheek.

And I didn’t mean to come off as if I was not happy with the truck or that I was complaining about the electric bill.
Just getting used to the new math here with EV’s.

and definitely understand that there are plenty out there that want to make the case against EV’s with the argument that you just end up paying for it through the electric bill.

Ideally I’d get solar….but just don’t get enough sunlight the way my roof is surrounded by trees.

Lots to learn for me on all this stuff

but love waving at the gas stations as we drive by them. They do come in handy for bathrooms and gum still I suppose 😉

OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
I know it's a bit of joking from you... here's what my experience has been:

In 2012, I replaced my 2004 Suburban with the Tesla S. My gasoline bill went down $400+ per month in exchange for $40 in electricity increase.

No complaints here.

Then in 2013 and 2014, I put up 18 kW solar PV and that will pay for itself in about 5 more years. Now with the exception of my orchard truck, all of my miles come from electricity.

35000 miles per year across both cars / 15 miles per gallon * $4 = $9,333 per year in gas
35000 miler per year at 3.5 cents per mile on Model S/X = $1,225 per year
Annual savings = $8,108

We've saved $80,000 roughly in fuel, 10 years of driving EV - and that doesn't count solar PV which will start offsetting this in 5 years.

(Yeah, the SUV's get much better mileage in the past decade or so and we probably would have replaced them with something better, so it probably is more like $65k or so, either way, it's a lot of money.)

yes, definitely some humor meant in my post…..I see it’s a touchy subject now

Your data here back to 2012 is amazing! Wish I had the guts To be an early adopter back then.
Those are huge dollars saved.
Not to mention the maintenance bills were far less than an ICE as well , I’m guessing?

Fantastic

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Great topic PJ. I'm sure there will be many more like this. I'm in San Diego and I'm forecasting a major increase in my electric bill as well. I drive about 90 to 120 miles a day ( contractor). I'm putting another 14kw solar on my roof to offset this and a spa purchase. I'm hoping it works out. I did the math several times and it seems that I will be ok. I currently have a 8.5kw system on the roof, we use 11kw. The way my math works out the truck will use the 8.5kw from the old system in full.

Sdg&e rates are terrible. It's about .40 cents a kwh. My business pays for my fuel so now I need to figure out how to pay for the energy ( to pay the solar system monthly) or get reimbursed for the milage or the energy used to charge....

This is a deep topic with a ton of variables. Keep the posts going!

I

OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
People are a little upset because this is the bullshit that people use to argue against EVs....."but you'll double your electric bill"...

Do the math and figure out exactly what it cost you and compare it to your gasoline bill and then come post about it.
You should be able to see exactly how much electricity you are putting into the truck every day.

yep, I hear ya 100%

it will be interesting to crunch the numbers down the road when I’ve got a big enough data sample size to judge.
No regrets on the Lightning, to be perfectly clear. Love it. Love the EV concept- just learning day by day.

Sponsored

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
Lots of solar talk here, but has anyone looked into small wind turbines? I recall an episode of some show where Jay Leno had a turbine on top of his warehouse he keeps all his cars in that was powered by a wind turbine. It didn't look large at all. I'm curious if that's a good route to go.

EDIT: Nevermind! Just found the episode from 2009 and they are HUGE!!! Guess my memory of it from about 14 years ago is way off from reality. Old age sux.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This is dumb. How many KW hours did you put in to the truck. All you can tell here is you didn use as much as you used last September
Used 47.6% more than last year.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Reactions: GDN

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Wow you guys pay a lot for electricity. I pay $0.12/kWh including all fees (I run a farm so my power bill is already $550/month due to using about 9000kWh/month.)
Where I am, we are paying $1.95/litre right now (a month ago it was $2.3/litre). After USD conversion that $1.95 is $5.75/gallon (a month ago it was $6.80/gallon).
I am estimating going from the 2008 f150 5.4L that I am driving now to the lighting it will cost about 1/8 the amount per km.

I am surprised that in high power cost areas there is a lot of uptake in EV vehicles right now as the price difference wouldn't make sense for the little amount that gets saved.

I am also surprised that there are people out there that don't realize how much it actually costs to charge an EV and are shocked when they get the bill. An advantage to EV is your "fuel" cost doesn't change like gasoline does.

Deleted member 9341

Did you expect a decrease?

Not sure the purpose of those post.

You switched from paying for gas at the pump to electricity at home.

Let us know the cost to drive the miles for your current gas rates compared to your current electricity rate.
Seriously
Sponsored