• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Owners - Do you drive in one pedal mode or traditional ?

Do you drive in one pedal drive mode or traditional?

• Total voters

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
What do passengers think of 1PD? As a driver, you know that you're about to slow down suddenly and have your hands braced on the steering wheel. Passengers don't usually know that a slow down is imminent and don't have their hands braced on anything. I have not rode as a passenger in an EV with 1PD, so I don't know what their experience is like, but I imagine it's jarring.
Sponsored

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I’ve been 1 pedal driving since I took delivery of the lightning in November. A software update disabled 1 pedal driving in mid December and I had a hard time adjusting to using the brakes until I could reenable it.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
What do passengers think of 1PD? As a driver, you know that you're about to slow down suddenly and have your hands braced on the steering wheel. Passengers don't usually know that a slow down is imminent and don't have their hands braced on anything. I have not rode as a passenger in an EV with 1PD, so I don't know what their experience is like, but I imagine it's jarring.
If you're doing it right, there doesn't have to be any sudden slowdowns. 1PD requires much more finesse -- it's not a lift your foot and coast sort of thing. And you only have to lift your foot or back off significantly if you want to quickly slow down. The dash cluster display has a small indicator for your power consumption above/below the neutral point. There's also a brake coach that gives feedback on how well you recover energy on 1PD.

Riding in an EV where the driver constantly does sudden slow-downs or jerky start/ stops due to the regenerative braking/ 1PD, just tells me they haven't figured out what they're doing.

Weather Dawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER w/Tow; 2017 BMW X3
For the first few weeks, I drove in a traditional 2 pedal setup. I then figured I would try the one pedal setting. It took a few days to get the feeling down but love it. In fact, it was switched off yesterday and I hated the 2 pedal setup and switched back immediately.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
If you're just taking your foot off the pedal you're going to have some unhappy passengers and not the way I believe it was intended, although it will work. You really have to feather off of the accelerator. You've got to become the conductor. Stop or slow down without throwing your passengers out of their seats.

Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And this is why I feel like 1PD isn't significantly different than 2PD. You either come quickly off the gas and then feather the brake to control your braking speed or you do the same feathering as you come off the gas. Since I have 25+ years of managing that vehicle control through the brake, I prefer to stick with what I know instead of learning to do the same thing via the gas pedal. With the blended braking system, I fail to see the advantage of 1PD. It's just a different way to accomplish the same thing that requires just as much precision and practice.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
There are indeed advantages to using 1PD. First of all it makes the most use of regenerative braking and the "blended" brakes only kick in at certain times -- usually when hauling a load and the truck isn't slowing at the intended rate. While 1PD / regenerative braking recovers some energy, it also uses your brakes quite a bit less and extends the life of brake pads and rotors.

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are indeed advantages to using 1PD. First of all it makes the most use of regenerative braking and the "blended" brakes only kick in at certain times -- usually when hauling a load and the truck isn't slowing at the intended rate. While 1PD / regenerative braking recovers some energy, it also uses your brakes quite a bit less and extends the life of brake pads and rotors.
All those advantages are almost identical with Ford's 2PD blended braking system.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Picked up my Lightning on Thursday (1/19) and I wasn't expecting to enjoy using one pedal by any means. I've seen a lot of post here saying to give it a shot, so I did... I flipped the toggle on and tested it in rush hour to try a get a feel for it and haven't turned it off since. It's a game changer!
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN