• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Drive modes comparison -- what does each one do?

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Seems like offroad is a pretty good driving mode for very snowy conditions as well. You want real brakes in snow so the ABS is active.
"Off Road" mode might be good for deeper snow, but I am not sure it is a good choice for on-road with only light snow.

"Normal" mode seemed the most well-mannered today in the snowy road driving I was doing.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I think the drive modes are basically the difference in how the regeneration takes places, such as hardly any in Normal mode, much more in Sport mode, even more in Tow mode, etc. I drive quite a bit in Sport mode when in city traffic, because, unlike One-Pedal mode, it is not NEARLY as dramatic and I don't necessarily want to come to a full stop every time I lift the pedal, maybe I just want to slow my momentum.
Even when Towing, I don't use TOW MODE>.... I don't really see it's value. It's certainly not doing anything 'special' just because you are towing. It's also not engaging the Max Tow additional cooling since that is always in play, regardless.

OffRoad mode is different. It is supposing that you are going in 'slow mode', and the pedal may take more pressure to get it 'up to speed', etc. And, while it may automatically engage the fixed Differential, you can also disengage that.
Ford F-150 Lightning Drive modes comparison -- what does each one do? 1671724261000

My experience using Tow Mode, is that there is no 1PD but blended braking with modest regen occurs when I use the brake pedal it also engages my trailer brakes via the trailer brake controller.

I have not experienced aggressive regen, it is present and helps with grade/hill descent control where there is good road/highway traction, but they do warn it could cut out and be prepared for foot braking.