• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Drive modes comparison -- what does each one do?

Galaxidan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
30 Model A,
I would love to know what the different drive modes actually do. Please enlighten me.
I use my lightning for towing 90% of it's miles. So obviously you would think tow mode would be the choice. But why? Other then shutting off the one pedal drive and blind spot system does it actually change anything?

I noticed that the off road setting engaged the rear locking diff and I think it disables traction control?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
All clearly explained in the manual, starting on page 294.

Ford F-150 Lightning Drive modes comparison -- what does each one do? drive mode 1.PNG

Ford F-150 Lightning Drive modes comparison -- what does each one do? drive mode 2.PNG

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
All clearly explained in the manual, starting on page 294.

drive mode 1.PNG

drive mode 2.PNG
I see all that, but like... I kinda want a more technical answer.

For example... Normal vs Sport:
More accelerator pedal responsiveness... How much more? What changed in the mapping?
Stronger deceleration... How much stronger?
How is the traction setting altered?
etc...

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Good luck with that.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think the drive modes are basically the difference in how the regeneration takes places, such as hardly any in Normal mode, much more in Sport mode, even more in Tow mode, etc. I drive quite a bit in Sport mode when in city traffic, because, unlike One-Pedal mode, it is not NEARLY as dramatic and I don't necessarily want to come to a full stop every time I lift the pedal, maybe I just want to slow my momentum.
Even when Towing, I don't use TOW MODE>.... I don't really see it's value. It's certainly not doing anything 'special' just because you are towing. It's also not engaging the Max Tow additional cooling since that is always in play, regardless.

OffRoad mode is different. It is supposing that you are going in 'slow mode', and the pedal may take more pressure to get it 'up to speed', etc. And, while it may automatically engage the fixed Differential, you can also disengage that.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I tried sport mode once and didn’t like the extra regen that’s built into it. I don’t understand what is “sporty” about extra regen. I can’t say that i noticed more aggressive throttle mapping but i only used it for about 90 seconds until i got annoyed by the regen. Otherwise i’ve only used Normal.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Seems like offroad is a pretty good driving mode for very snowy conditions as well. You want real brakes in snow so the ABS is active.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Sport mode definitely feels like it has more zip. I typically turn it on when I show people what the truck can do from a dead stop. I should bring out my draggy and see what kind of quantified acceleration difference is made.

Unlike my Model 3 Performance, I don't love launching the truck. The sound the tires makes, it feels like I'll need to change them very soon if I launch too much.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
My stock tires will last at least until i need to put my winter tires on, so I'm OK with that. 😄

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I tried sport mode once and didn’t like the extra regen that’s built into it. I don’t understand what is “sporty” about extra regen. I can’t say that i noticed more aggressive throttle mapping but i only used it for about 90 seconds until i got annoyed by the regen. Otherwise i’ve only used Normal.
I am exactly the opposite. I would like more regen than I Can get in sport mode and 1PD. I would use Sport mode exclusively, if the truck would just stay there and not make me reconfirm it every time I get in!!! I usually miss the OK button since I am backing out of my driveway when I start off so I typically just drive in normal / 1PD.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Galaxidan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
30 Model A,
It would be awesome if there was some drop down menus to setup each mode individually allowing one to adjust what comes on or off and maybe a slider to adjust steering effort, Regen % ect. We can always dream. Maybe allow a user nameable mode to set it up for best personal use. The people that deal with ice and snow could dial it in just right, you could set it up for best 0-60 times.

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I like sport mode but I stopped using it because it turns off every single time I turn my vehicle off. Ford clearly did this to thoroughly annoy anyone that prefers sport mode because there are zero possible logical reasons this is necessary.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I like sport mode but I stopped using it because it turns off every single time I turn my vehicle off. Ford clearly did this to thoroughly annoy anyone that prefers sport mode because there are zero possible logical reasons this is necessary.
Yup - exactly the same there. Though I will admit I prefer the dash in normal mode (blue) vs. sport (white). I actually really like the burnt orange they use in the off road mode!

Hey another feature request - let us select the gauge colors! My 2011 GT500 had that and I loved it. Even had a special Red, White, and Blue mode (becuase 'Murica!) that I used all the time.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
When I start the truck after using sport mode it asks if I want sport mode again. If I don’t hit okay it defaults to normal.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
When I start the truck after using sport mode it asks if I want sport mode again. If I don’t hit okay it defaults to normal.
Right, but that prompt is very easy to miss. In the morning I get in and start backing out of my driveway. By the time I am done backing out the prompt is gone.
Sponsored