• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Scary situation happened when backing up with one pedal drive

96161Lightning

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volkswagen ID.4, 2022 Lighnting Lariat ER
I was backing down my driveway with one pedal drive on. My driveway is fairly steep and was going slowly as it is narrow and there is some snow in places. About halfway down I hit a patch of ice and I could hear one of the tires start spinning on the ice with some velocity, which seemed odd to me. I was not sliding on the ice, and was gently feathering the pedal to keep the auto hold/one pedal from stopping the vehicle. The truck was maintaining traction with the exception of whichever tire started to spin, then suddenly the vehicle just released from one pedal and I quickly started rolling backward. It almost felt as if the vehicle was propelled, not just rolling. I immediately stood on the brakes, but it took multiple presses before the vehicle reacted and came to a stop. I probably rolled 25 feet before I could stop the vehicle and was anticipating I was going to run into the snowbank.

I've backed down the driveway many times in slick conditions and never experienced anything like that and thankful that I was able to avoid hitting anything. Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Skipdart

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Yikes. Never experienced that one. Hope not too. Sounds pretty unnerving.

256fail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 311A XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I have a little bit of a slope on my driveway. I don’t like 1pd at all for reversing down hills etc. It is just not a smooth setup compared to Tesla 1pd. I primarily drive now 2 pedal. I feel I have far greater control and prefer to creep into parking spots and reverse riding the “brakes”.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I was backing down my driveway with one pedal drive on. My driveway is fairly steep and was going slowly as it is narrow and there is some snow in places. About halfway down I hit a patch of ice and I could hear one of the tires start spinning on the ice with some velocity, which seemed odd to me. I was not sliding on the ice, and was gently feathering the pedal to keep the auto hold/one pedal from stopping the vehicle. The truck was maintaining traction with the exception of whichever tire started to spin, then suddenly the vehicle just released from one pedal and I quickly started rolling backward. It almost felt as if the vehicle was propelled, not just rolling. I immediately stood on the brakes, but it took multiple presses before the vehicle reacted and came to a stop. I probably rolled 25 feet before I could stop the vehicle and was anticipating I was going to run into the snowbank.

I've backed down the driveway many times in slick conditions and never experienced anything like that and thankful that I was able to avoid hitting anything. Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Good afternoon! This certainly does not sound like the experience we want you to have with your Ford Lightning. If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealership info, I can look into your concerns on my end.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Black ice spot?

OP
OP

96161Lightning

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volkswagen ID.4, 2022 Lighnting Lariat ER
I have a little bit of a slope on my driveway. I don’t like 1pd at all for reversing down hills etc. It is just not a smooth setup compared to Tesla 1pd. I primarily drive now 2 pedal. I feel I have far greater control and prefer to creep into parking spots and reverse riding the “brakes”.
Yeah, I have been trying to get used to it in reverse and avoid the extra steps of switching it on and off b/c I really like the 1 pedal driving otherwise, but I think I'm going to stop using it in situations like this.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I like and drive with 1PD, but it happens every time backing out of my drive. It isn't real steep, but when the truck hits a certain degree of level 1PD just turns off. It is just one of the stupid things Ford's SW engineers have done that makes no sense (kind of like Hands Free driving shutting off without an audible warning).

The ice could have played more of a part of it for you, but if your driveway is very steep I'm surprised you haven't noticed this before. I posted about this months ago I'll go find my post. I selected the screen that shows degree of pitch and roll and it turns loose at the exact same degree every time.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

yet another justification (for me) that I will NOT use One Pedal.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Regenerative breaking and one-pedal driving will disengage if there if a significant mismatch of traction between wheels. It's best not to use it in ice/snow and on gravel roads.

This isn't specific to the F150--my electric Jaguar I-Pace also does this. There's a patch of gravel on an otherwise asphalt road right before a stop sign in my neighborhood and it will roll right into the intersection if I'm not paying attention.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
This illustrates the biggest reason 1PD should be illegal, and why two-pedals, one-foot is a safety feature.

Under normal circumstances in this situation you would have been covering the brake. An average or below average driver using 1PD in the situation you just described would mash the accelerator by reflex with disastrous results.

1PD: Just say no.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Most instances of unexpected acceleration are due to two pedal drivers mashing the accelerator by mistake. I don't think 1 pedal drivers are more or less prone to it. But it does add a level of complexity that I didn't know existed for 1 pedal.

Shiftyjew

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 ligntning
Occupation
Contractor

My 2022 and replacement 2023 both experienced on pedal drive faults that allow the vehicle to roll. It slips out of one pedal and rolls like a vehicle in neutral. Started of with just reverse, but that started in drive too a few months later. Now I'm trying to get ford to buy back the second truck like they did with the first. Tons of issues. Final straw on 2022 was battery melting at dealer while they were trying to diagnose all of the other problems. So far they have no idea whats causing the problem and say there's no error code. They also say no error code for when the anti collision system malfunctioned last week bringing me to a screeching halt on the freeway for n reason despite me having pictures of the screen flashing messages about system errors.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Final straw on 2022 was battery melting at dealer while they were trying to diagnose all of the other problems.
Please elaborate on this ..... the 12v or traction battery?
How catastrophic was the damage when this happened?
Sponsored