• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Phone as a Key issue

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I wonder if there are extra chips to enable PAAK or if this is purely a software enabled feature? I would certainly pay $500 to enable the feature if I was given the option.

It will be interesting to see what kind of hacks people do to the Lightning. In a Model 3 people can unlock the Performance specs on a Long Range model via software hack. I am 99% sure it voids your warranty, so most people are reluctant to do it until after their warranty period ended. I'm curious if the same applies here and what could be unlocked with software modification.
First, I’ve never used PAAK for the exact reasons @sotek2345 described above.
But knowing how the touchless key system works (can only open the door to unlock when you are within 3’) each door would require a Bluetooth receiver in order for PAAK to work like the fob.
Sponsored

2bacons

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat (Atlas Blue)
7/25++ Build Week folks.

@2bacons
Interestingly I have not set up my truck on my Wifi network yet as I am still in the condo and park out of range, I haven't received any update notifications, but force quitting and relaunching the Ford Pass app on my iPhone now shows PaaK setup prompt. Will have to set up and investigate more later.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Interestingly I have not set up my truck on my Wifi network yet as I am still in the condo and park out of range, I haven't received any update notifications, but force quitting and relaunching the Ford Pass app on my iPhone now shows PaaK setup prompt. Will have to set up and investigate more later.
That's because PaaK showing up has nothing to do with the updates

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
@TaxmanHog thanks for pinging for a response, are we sure the PRO model has phone as key?
Based on another members report Paak is not included on Pro & XLT

gsquirrel02

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Pathfinder

Sponsored

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
Holy moly. This is news to me but probably not to everyone else. With a backup passcode you can unlock and start your the F150 with no phone and no key fob whatsoever! Why then are people worrying about leaving the fob at home and having PaaK fail?

This to me is a no brainer. I think all vehicles should have had this for decades. Rivian brags about having a keyfob as a bracelet for active people who don't want to carry a fob. But with the F150 you don't need to bring anything at all!

Is there any reason to worry about not having a phone or FOB any more? What am I missing?

Last edited:

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Holy moly. This is news to me but probably not to everyone else. With a backup passcode you can unlock and start your car with no phone and no key fob whatsoever! Why then are people worrying about leaving the fob at home and having PaaK fail?

This to me is a no brainer. I think all vehicles should have had this for decades. Rivian brags about having a keyfob as a bracelet for active people who don't want to carry a fob. But with the F150 you don't need to bring anything at all!

Is there any reason to worry about not having a phone or FOB any more? What am I missing?
Yep - it is known and documented in the user manual. It is just that these processes of using that backup code are not 100% reliable. If they were people wouldn't worry about it.

It is designed to be fail safe, if PAAK fails, then use the keypad on the door and the 8 digit keypad on the dash to start, however, it just isn't that way.

However, you also now know why so many of us would like to have PAAK, it gives an opportunity to drive the truck without even having the phone with you. I just wish they would allow the 8 digit code to be activated without PAAK, but they are closely tied together in some way.

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is there any evidence that the backup code is unreliable?

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also, for me it is not an 8-digit code for the backup code. It is appears to be a full keyboard for a full lengthy password if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
To date in our Mach-e I have not been able to get it to accept any password I have been able to come up with. It errors out on anything I try saying it is not complex enough. I have tried over 20 characters with upper and lower case, symbols, and numbers. I eventually just gave up trying to set it up.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I don't have personal experience, but Mach E owners have cited getting locked out and not able to use PAAK, I would assume that to mean codes too. This should all be a great thing, but recall it is new and needs to have a few months to fully shake out by many users.

I love the Tesla PAAK, but others remind me it was also not solid in the early days and still today I don't leave without my keycard in my wallet.

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok, so other than the possibility of someone breaking in and stealing the truck (😧), why not leave a fob in the truck somewhere and lock it with the keypad?

tomjackbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata, Honda HRV, Ford F150L
I was able to start my truck without the fob or PAAK using the password. Prompt came up on the screen and it started up. A few minutes later I got an alert email from Ford that my truck had been started using the backup password.

Reactions: GDN

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ok, so other than the possibility of someone breaking in and stealing the truck (😧), why not leave a fob in the truck somewhere and lock it with the keypad?
Yup - this is what I do with my ICE F150s whenever I need to leave the keys behind. Yeah white water rafting!

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have realized the solution!

1. Take the battery out of one of your FOBs and hide it somewhere in your truck. Without the battery it won't ever confuse the situation or let someone easily start the truck when you are not around.

2. Live a PaaK key free life without worry of it "failing"!!!!!

3. If Paak or the passkey ever fails just stick the FOB in the emergency slot under the cupholder to start the truck (or replace the battery if you have stored it with the FOB).

In case you don't know, you can start the truck with a FOB with a dead or missing battery by sticking the FOB in the emergency slot below one of the main cup holders.
Ford F-150 Lightning Phone as a Key issue IMG_3620
Sponsored