• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning

Mort

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi PHEV, Tesla Model 3, F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Marine electrical propulsion engineer
Hello there, 23 XLT, SR with a 1972 8’ Alaskan cab over. I’m working on a fairing idea that will actually bolt to the front of the camper top.
To date we are averaging 2.4 MPKW over 700 miles W/O camper and 2.0 MPKW over 150 miles with camper.
The 72 Alaskan was stripped of all batteries and propane to make it lighter. This is a 100% AC camper with all but 2 usb battery led lights running from the pro power. Fully loaded with gear we’re at around 1560 lbs. This keeps us right at the GVRW of 8010 with two adults and a kid.
We installed a Ecoflo heat pump for air and heat, along with a small AC refer and an induction cooktop.
So far it’s been a camping panacea.
Next goals are 1600 watts of panels on the cabover with twin roll out 1000 watt solar awnings. This coupled with Victron charge controllers, a Multiplus 3000 and 6 Dakota DL-135 batteries the system should deliver around 30 miles a day to the truck if I set the charge level to a continues 700 watts.
This will be our Baja machine, find an ideal secluded beach, stay and charge for three to five days, move on another hundred miles or so to the next awesome beach.

Ford F-150 Lightning Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning IMG_8408

Ford F-150 Lightning Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning IMG_8375

Ford F-150 Lightning Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning IMG_8394

Ford F-150 Lightning Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning IMG_8379

Ford F-150 Lightning Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning IMG_8368

Last edited:

Mort

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IMG_0964.jpeg

This is our setup - OVRLND brand pop up camper with Colorado fairing.
Hey Dennis, was that you driving through Poulsbo today? I think I was right behind you!

OP
OP

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 2015 SuperCab FX4, 2.7L Ecoboost
Occupation
Climate Aware Livin Coach
Hello there, 23 XLT, SR with a 1972 8’ Alaskan cab over.

IMG_8368.jpeg
Hi Mort, I love your approach to meeting our common objective for fossil free camping! Your rig is a cool retro solution. I like you plans to install solar for gathering 30 miles a day and would like to follow your progress. I too am working on a to plan to install solar generation including solar awnings that could provide 8-10 miles a day, so I’m very curious about those 1000 watt roll-up awnings you’re talking about.

I have finally received and installed my ORU camper and will post details in this thread. I noticed a very slight change in handling on curves at first; but, now I have adapted and it is essentially unnoticeable. What have you noticed in ride and performance with your rig at 4 tons GVRW?

Sponsored

Mort

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It was my wife Karin.
Awesome I actually talked with her about a year ago after leaving a note on your rig at the school before we got ours!
what a small world.
Cheers,

Mort

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Hi Mort, I love your approach to meeting our common objective for fossil free camping! Your rig is a cool retro solution. I like you plans to install solar for gathering 30 miles a day and would like to follow your progress. I too am working on a to plan to install solar generation including solar awnings that could provide 8-10 miles a day, so I’m very curious about those 1000 watt roll-up awnings you’re talking about.

I have finally received and installed my ORU camper and will post details in this thread. I noticed a very slight change in handling on curves at first; but, now I have adapted and it is essentially unnoticeable. What have you noticed in ride and performance with your rig at 4 tons GVRW?
Well the Lightning squats too about level with the front trim and it has a noticeably higher center of gravity, but as you say the differences other than visibility disappear after about a day. As far as I can tell there is very little change in acceleration or breaking. We are averaging 1.9 MPKW without a fairing but it drops to around 1.5 after climbing to 4000 feet and the descending back down. However the decent adds 8-9% of regenerated range vs 5% without the cab over.

Mort

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Well the Lightning squats too about level with the front trim and it has a noticeably higher center of gravity, but as you say the differences other than visibility disappear after about a day. As far as I can tell there is very little change in acceleration or breaking. We are averaging 1.9 MPKW without a fairing but it drops to around 1.5 after climbing to 4000 feet and the descending back down. However the decent adds 8-9% of regenerated range vs 5% without the cab over.
Here is a link to the awnings we are looking at. A new forward support arm will have to be adapted.

https://www.eco-dynamic.tech/products/artpiece_for_rv_1000w

Mort

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Here is the awning we are considering.
https://www.eco-dynamic.tech/products/artpiece_for_rv_1000w

OP
OP

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Wow, that awning looks quite impressive and looks good. In its stock design with vertical frame legs, it does not look compatible with our pickup truck format; but I’m sure you could rig it in a way that would work.

I'm considering using 300W of flexible 100W CIGS panels on my roof, such as these, and possibly a custom designed awning that folds and rolls with 4 more 100W panels:

https://www.bougerv.com/collections/flexible-solar-panels

Sponsored
OP
OP

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I am happy to post info and images here of my ORU Designs USA pop-up camper cap installed on my Lightning. This is a major step in realizing my envisioned Lightning Overland Vehicle. It took way longer than expected to receive it, as manufacturing and shipping logistics seemed to delay it at every step. Nonetheless, I am very happy with it so far, with some noted challenges below.

I have tested the bed on two short camping trips and it is very comfortable, and I like that the sleeping platform slides in and the mattress folds up to stow in the area over the cab to yield a nominal 25 square feet internal area you can stand and sit in.

My internal build is still in development, but I have supplementary 12V electric system (temporarily built in a milk crate with two LiTime 12V 100Ah Mini LiFePO4 batteries) that powers a SetPower 58qt freezer/fridge, roof fan, and a dry toilet. My temporary tailgate kitchen is an induction hot plate that run on the 120V cargo bed outlets. No water systems yet.

Noted Challenges:
  1. Miles/kWh (MPK) impact - My personal results with my normal mix of local/highway over my first 16,000 miles before installing the camper was 2.3MPK. After installing the camper, I’m getting 2.1MPK for my first 1,600 for my mostly normal mix of local driving. No long road trips yet; BUT, I have found that on longer (more than 1hr) highway drives, especially in cold weather, their is a notable loss of efficiency - I’m getting more like 1.8 to 1.9… So, until I get a fairing to improve aerodynamics, I’m going to use 1.8 when I plan long journeys.
  2. Antennae Interference - My Sirius XM signal is blocked by the camper cabover, and I really miss Bluegrass Junction. I’m going to have to add an auxiliary satellite antenna. Occasionally I note a GPS glitch in Ford’s native navigation app; but this overcome with CarPlay which is my default preference anyway, so not a big problem.
  3. Wind Noise - A small increase noticeable; but, it's really not too bad.
  4. Weather Seal at Tailgate - Sometimes after a rain, I find a little water inside the back of the camper/cargo bed. But, I like how the power tailgate functions with closing under the camper barn doors; so, I will need to improve the seal. I know when I begin to travel dusty roads I’m going to need a better tailgate seal, so that will be part of my work in progress.
  5. Cab Brake light is blocked (and cargo camera/light) - an obvious issue; but, I don’t think its a major one. I will obviously have lights inside the camper, and I may add a third brake light at the top-rear of the camper someday, and camera to monitor inside the camper may also be nice.
  6. No Insulation - ORU now offers insulation options/add-ons; but these weren’t available when I ordered my rig; so, I do plan to add insulation as part of my build. One night of camping in 30 degree weather confirmed, I will be needing more than a 3 season sleeping bag!
As frosty fall nights have settled in here in eastern PA and winter on its way, I will be doing more design and building of my camper than actually camping with its current minimalist-work-in-progress format. However, I am loving the option to haul my upright bass and music gear in the cargo bed with the camper now to protect it.
Ford F-150 Lightning Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning IMG_7734
Ford F-150 Lightning Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning IMG_7735
Ford F-150 Lightning Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning IMG_7747
Ford F-150 Lightning Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning IMG_7572

PS, this last photo also goes in the "My Lightning being used as a Truck” category, as it shows me hauling my (electric) wood splitter ;)

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I am happy to post info and images here of my ORU Designs USA pop-up camper cap installed on my Lightning. This is a major step in realizing my envisioned Lightning Overland Vehicle. It took way longer than expected to receive it, as manufacturing and shipping logistics seemed to delay it at every step. Nonetheless, I am very happy with it so far, with some noted challenges below.

I have tested the bed on two short camping trips and it is very comfortable, and I like that the sleeping platform slides in and the mattress folds up to stow in the area over the cab to yield a nominal 25 square feet internal area you can stand and sit in.

My internal build is still in development, but I have supplementary 12V electric system (temporarily built in a milk crate with two LiTime 12V 100Ah Mini LiFePO4 batteries) that powers a SetPower 58qt freezer/fridge, roof fan, and a dry toilet. My temporary tailgate kitchen is an induction hot plate that run on the 120V cargo bed outlets. No water systems yet.

Noted Challenges:
  1. Miles/kWh (MPK) impact - My personal results with my normal mix of local/highway over my first 16,000 miles before installing the camper was 2.3MPK. After installing the camper, I’m getting 2.1MPK for my first 1,600 for my mostly normal mix of local driving. No long road trips yet; BUT, I have found that on longer (more than 1hr) highway drives, especially in cold weather, their is a notable loss of efficiency - I’m getting more like 1.8 to 1.9… So, until I get a fairing to improve aerodynamics, I’m going to use 1.8 when I plan long journeys.
  2. Antennae Interference - My Sirius XM signal is blocked by the camper cabover, and I really miss Bluegrass Junction. I’m going to have to add an auxiliary satellite antenna. Occasionally I note a GPS glitch in Ford’s native navigation app; but this overcome with CarPlay which is my default preference anyway, so not a big problem.
  3. Wind Noise - A small increase noticeable; but, it's really not too bad.
  4. Weather Seal at Tailgate - Sometimes after a rain, I find a little water inside the back of the camper/cargo bed. But, I like how the power tailgate functions with closing under the camper barn doors; so, I will need to improve the seal. I know when I begin to travel dusty roads I’m going to need a better tailgate seal, so that will be part of my work in progress.
  5. Cab Brake light is blocked (and cargo camera/light) - an obvious issue; but, I don’t think its a major one. I will obviously have lights inside the camper, and I may add a third brake light at the top-rear of the camper someday, and camera to monitor inside the camper may also be nice.
  6. No Insulation - ORU now offers insulation options/add-ons; but these weren’t available when I ordered my rig; so, I do plan to add insulation as part of my build. One night of camping in 30 degree weather confirmed, I will be needing more than a 3 season sleeping bag!
As frosty fall nights have settled in here in eastern PA and winter on its way, I will be doing more design and building of my camper than actually camping with its current minimalist-work-in-progress format. However, I am loving the option to haul my upright bass and music gear in the cargo bed with the camper now to protect it.
IMG_7734.jpeg
IMG_7735.jpeg
IMG_7747.jpeg
IMG_7572.jpeg

PS, this last photo also goes in the "My Lightning being used as a Truck” category, as it shows me hauling my (electric) wood splitter ;)
Congratulations!! That looks awesome! I’ve never seen one until now and your mileage is excellent. Looking forward to seeing some more pics as you customize the inside.

I sure do miss my Lightning and camper and can’t wait for the modules to get replaced, so I can try to make a trip down south during Thanksgiving week.

BTW my father is towing (right now) a log splitter to my house in his Lightning, so we can get wood ready for the snow coming in. Didn’t know they made an electric one! Nice.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
If you don't mind me asking, what did that set you back ($s)?

OP
OP

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
If you don't mind me asking, what did that set you back ($s)?
Hi Sam,

I assume you are asking abut my camper, not my Lightning ;).
ORU Designs USA has a a good website to configure and price their campers. The full pop-up model, with hard tent sides, is the Bruin, and it ranges from 9 to 13.5K depending on trim and options. Info is here: https://www.orudesignsusa.com/bruin

I got their top Bruin trim package with some options, which is basically what they now call the "Bruin Pro", which you can see is $13,499. I wanted Barn Doors, the MaxxAir Fan, and all the windows and shades. I paid $14,049 plus the $1,717 to ship from So-Cal to East-PA. ("net shipping" cost was about $630 because the CA Sales tax of $1088 does not apply to out-of-state deliveries).

I see that they now offer several insulation kits. Based on how cold I get on a 30F degree night in a sleeping bag rated at 15F, I would seriously consider these if cold weather camping is in your plans. I did discuss (with Michael, the guy you see in some of their videos) getting insulation from ORU as a special order, and instead planned on doing it myself.

ORU Designs USA was very customer oriented and excellent to work with.

OP
OP

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Didn’t know they made an electric one! Nice.
Hey Mario,

Yes, you can find electric wood splitters! Me and my wood-burning buddy bought our splitter more than 10 years ago from Ram Splitter. It has served us flawlessly, producing 8 to 12 cords a year with no major issues, AND no sparkplugs, gas, oil, no choking (in two ways), no sore shoulders from pullstarts, no cold weather starting issues, and best of all - NO GHG emissions (I only buy renewable electric ever since it was available in PA)!

This is their current MADE in AMERICA electric splitter:

https://ramsplitter.com/shop/ols/categories/electric-log-splitters
Sponsored