• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 2015 SuperCab FX4, 2.7L Ecoboost
Occupation
Climate Aware Livin Coach
Hey Mario! I’ll be looking for your updates, and wishing you luck with your FWC Raven.

I am also planning a “100% fossil fuel-Free camping rig” on my Lariat ER and I plan to travel/camp off-road.

So I won't hijack your project story, I will start anther thread about my plans.

Scott
Sponsored

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Hey Mario! I’ll be looking for your updates, and wishing you luck with your FWC Raven.

I am also planning a “100% fossil fuel-Free camping rig” on my Lariat ER and I plan to travel/camp off-road.

So I won't hijack your project story, I will start anther thread about my plans.

Scott
Definitely looking forward to your camping posts!! Thank you!

Reactions: LOV
OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
The night before last it was super hard to sleep, because yesterday my father (we each paid half for it) and I picked up our Raven slide in camper from Four Wheel Camper. It’s an amazing camper and got a tour of how they make them. Everyone was super friendly and very professional.

I know some of you wanted me to report back. Even though I’m basing it on one trip back from the factory I can say it was very interesting. Driving southbound on highway 5 with a noticeable approximate 25 mph East wind, at 75 degrees, we got about 1.5Kw. When we took highway 50 connection and headed East towards the Sierra Nevadas we instantly realized the wind was helping us get a 1.9 Kw consistent until we started going uphill. Up hill to the 4300’ elevation it lowered to 1.5Kw. Speeds were averaging 62-65mph (California speed limit 65mph). I’m confident I will be seeing average of 1.7 with stock tires and no wind fairing yet, with fair weather. That’s an average of 222 miles. I will be adding a wind fairing from Colorado Wind Fairing company.

In order for me to keep this setup my father and I had agreed on at least 200 miles. In a couple of weeks I will be taking it to Mammoth Lake area and the ancient bristle cone forest off 395 highway for its first camping trip. I’m taking lots of notes and video and pictures and will update later this month
Ford F-150 Lightning Slide in Pop-up Camper by Four Wheel Campers being assessed for Lightning IMG_2524
Ford F-150 Lightning Slide in Pop-up Camper by Four Wheel Campers being assessed for Lightning IMG_2500
Ford F-150 Lightning Slide in Pop-up Camper by Four Wheel Campers being assessed for Lightning IMG_2502

GoHawks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning ER
The night before last it was super hard to sleep, because yesterday my father (we each paid half for it) and I picked up our Raven slide in camper from Four Wheel Camper. It’s an amazing camper and got a tour of how they make them. Everyone was super friendly and very professional.

I know some of you wanted me to report back. Even though I’m basing it on one trip back from the factory I can say it was very interesting. Driving southbound on highway 5 with a noticeable approximate 25 mph East wind, at 75 degrees, we got about 1.5Kw. When we took highway 50 connection and headed East towards the Sierra Nevadas we instantly realized the wind was helping us get a 1.9 Kw consistent until we started going uphill. Up hill to the 4300’ elevation it lowered to 1.5Kw. Speeds were averaging 62-65mph (California speed limit 65mph). I’m confident I will be seeing average of 1.7 with stock tires and no wind fairing yet, with fair weather. That’s an average of 222 miles. I will be adding a wind fairing from Colorado Wind Fairing company.

In order for me to keep this setup my father and I had agreed on at least 200 miles. In a couple of weeks I will be taking it to Mammoth Lake area and the ancient bristle cone forest off 395 highway for its first camping trip. I’m taking lots of notes and video and pictures and will update later this month
IMG_2524.jpeg
IMG_2500.jpeg
IMG_2502.jpeg
Any details on weight? And what are you doing about a backup camera/step/etc. with the tailgate removed? Also would love interior photos although they are like any other fwc. Thanks.

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Any details on weight? And what are you doing about a backup camera/step/etc. with the tailgate removed? Also would love interior photos although they are like any other fwc. Thanks.
I had to wait on answering this. I saw the shipping weight on my document was 1311 lbs. I’m not 100% on this because my specs show 1245 on the website when we configured it. I’m happy to report after removing the tail gate and Tonneau cover and rolling up to the DMV weigh station with the camper on I come in at 7800 lbs! My max is 8550. So after me and my two dogs I have 400lbs to bring along.

My backup camera is this one. Couldn’t find the link.
Ford F-150 Lightning Slide in Pop-up Camper by Four Wheel Campers being assessed for Lightning IMG_2585

As for the Kw I was getting 2.1 consistently this weekend on a road trip from Sacramento area to Napa area. I was shocked. No wind fairing yet. Will probably upgrade to ATs now that I know the mileage is much better than expected.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Little update and nothing scientific 😂
I noticed the superb mileage I was getting with the slide in Raven camper and stock all season tires 259-270 miles. I also noticed the stock tires appeared to be ever so slightly bulging in the rear compared to the front. We were very concerned. Knowing nothing about tires, I spent the day and learned the rating system and realized I needed some 10 ply. I went out and bought stock size Nitto Recon Grapplers. Now I’m in my first camping trip and getting around 1.7 average without any wind fairing to help. So at least 220 up to 240 miles. I’m happy as 200 was the cut off line for it not being worth it for me. Had some stormy weather which makes for awesome dramatic shots for photography. I’m extremely happy with my new tires.
Ford F-150 Lightning Slide in Pop-up Camper by Four Wheel Campers being assessed for Lightning IMG_2797
Ford F-150 Lightning Slide in Pop-up Camper by Four Wheel Campers being assessed for Lightning IMG_2782
Ford F-150 Lightning Slide in Pop-up Camper by Four Wheel Campers being assessed for Lightning IMG_2810

MrGreyS1K

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning XLT SR
Little update and nothing scientific 😂
I noticed the superb mileage I was getting with the slide in Raven camper and stock all season tires 259-270 miles. Now I’m in my first camping trip and getting around 1.7 average without any wind fairing to help. So at least 220 up to 240 miles.
What speed do you travel at with the camper for a good mi/kWh?
I regret not getting the ER battery. With my SR I barely make it to where i go already for camping/ "off-road".

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
What speed do you travel at with the camper for a good mi/kWh?
I regret not getting the ER battery. With my SR I barely make it to where i go already for camping/ "off-road".
I live in California and when I’m trying to get range I always drive the speed limit. Around 25-50 mph around Lake Tahoe and 65 mph on the highways. Driving locally my range is definitely 240 to 250 with the AT tires.

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
It is. I got a wind fairing and Thule cross bar I’m going to mount it on, to eliminate the drag as much as possible. First I want to wait for a couple of days with similar weather, where I can test it from South Lake Tahoe to Reno, with and without the fairing to see what kind of difference it will make.

Reactions: LOV

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It is. I got a wind fairing and Thule cross bar I’m going to mount it on, to eliminate the drag as much as possible. First I want to wait for a couple of days with similar weather, where I can test it from South Lake Tahoe to Reno, with and without the fairing to see what kind of difference it will make.
Really looking forward to your update on wind fairing range effect. I’m thinking that a custom fairing could be made that includes some aerodynamic trail lights…?

Sponsored

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Hey Mario, Congrats on your rig! Looks fantastic. I‘m expecting my ORU Designs USA camper to be delivered next week, and I’m having trouble sleeping too…

May I ask if you have run into any troubles with reduced functionality of the two antennas (which are for the sat radio, GPS, and OTA modem, as I understand) mounted at the rear roof of the cab?

Happy Trails, Scott

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Hey Mario, Congrats on your rig! Looks fantastic. I‘m expecting my ORU Designs USA camper to be delivered next week, and I’m having trouble sleeping too…

May I ask if you have run into any troubles with reduced functionality of the two antennas (which are for the sat radio, GPS, and OTA modem, as I understand) mounted at the rear roof of the cab?

Happy Trails, Scott
Scott, sorry for the late response!

Happy Trails, Scott
Scott,
Sorry for late reply. How’s your camper? I have not had any problems with my antenna at all, or GPS and modem. Good question though. I just finished up another overland trip near my home and in Mammoth Lakes area. All went very well. I took a trip to Bend, Oregon and struggled with mileage. Little complicated to estimate what I was going to get and it was less than I anticipated. Still learning with the camper on.
Oh and I didn’t put the fairing on yet. Soon.

Stay safe and have a blast in your new camper.
Mario

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scott, sorry for the late response!

Scott,
Sorry for late reply. How’s your camper? I have not had any problems with my antenna at all, or GPS and modem. Good question though. I just finished up another overland trip near my home and in Mammoth Lakes area. All went very well. I took a trip to Bend, Oregon and struggled with mileage. Little complicated to estimate what I was going to get and it was less than I anticipated. Still learning with the camper on.
Oh and I didn’t put the fairing on yet. Soon.

Stay safe and have a blast in your new camper.
Mario
Hey Mario, thanks for the reply. Good news on the antennas and that your are having more adventures.

Sadly, I experienced a delay in getting my camper…. Delivery it is now expected later this month…

I’m curious how well my Lighting will do off-roading with a camper, so Its good to know you have been successfully overlanding. Happy Trails!
Sponsored