• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Mach E Premium AWD
2000-mile Lightning Trail Camper Road Trip Report

I drove the Lightning with my DIY Lightning Trail camper from Windsor, CO to Oshkosh, WI for the annual AirVenture air show. I’ll cover some of the key takeaways from the trip below. Old news for some of you, but...

This is my third cross-country trip with the Lightning, but the first with the camper. My first cross-country was last fall, shortly after I purchased the Lightning. Although we traveled further on that trip (4000 miles from Windsor to the east coast and back – see attached report), a good portion of both trips was along the same route. As such, this trip helped me compare traveling across the country with the Lightning now vs almost a year ago.

Key Take-Aways

• I hoped charging infrastructure would have significantly expanded and improved over the last 10 months, but from what I experienced, the picture has gotten worse, not better. I encountered very few new charging stations, and a significant portion of the existing equipment in more disrepair (age has not been kind to that equipment).
  • Cross-country trip planning needs to be done in advance of a trip but also in real-time. In multiple instances, sites I had researched and mapped into my plan were reported by Plugshare users as having complete site failures, mere hours before I would arrive there. As a result, I had to scramble to find alternates.
  • Off the interstate, functional chargers are difficult to find, and often much slower when you do find them (no news to most of you).
  • Prices for charging were all over the map, even for chargers sitting right next to each other! I paid anywhere from $.12 to $.39 per kWh and averaged about $.22. The charging cost for the entire 2000+ miles was $257. Not bad, and probably slightly less than a comparable ICE trip.
  • Although my little camper weighed just over 700 lbs when I completed it, I was pushing the truck’s maximum payload with all the camper upgrades, camping gear, tools, food, water, and supplies I carried. So instead of the 15% reduction in range I was expecting, I saw over 20% on this trip (1.75 miles/kWh).
  • I kept my cruise control at 66 mph and had very few traffic or construction slow-downs. But my effective average speed (including charging stops) was about 42 mph. I spent 48 hours on the road to travel 2,000+ miles (not including sleeping). It was a LONG solo drive.
Bottom line: Outside of the Tesla bubble (which I know little about), EV cross-country travel is still NOT really feasible for the average American, and the situation is not improving, but may get much worse as more EVs hit the road. We desperately need better reliability and more coverage. Tesla Supercharger access will help, I hope.

Trip Highlights:

• My little camper worked great! It came through a fairly severe thunderstorm unscathed. I easily switched the awning to the opposite side to account for the way I parked. The solar panel kept the 12V camper battery charged and the fridge running. Love the cassette toilet and the easy conversion between the camper’s day and night modes. I gave a few folks a tour of the camper and they had positive things to say about it. I completed and installed a front fairing a few days before the trip, and it worked well to reduce road noise but sadly didn’t seem to have any effect on range. I also completed and brought along a prototype indoor shower but didn’t use it, as AirVenture has a great shower system in the campground.
  • The Lightning was flawless and drove itself hands-free about 90% of the time. Even with its current shortcomings, I love Blue Cruise. I really missed hands-free driving when it wasn’t available. It seems to work more reliably at night, possibly due to the greater contrast between the pavement and the white lines. Can’t wait for BC 1.3!
  • I was able to find Electrify America charging stations that would put out the full kW the truck was asking for along I-80 in Nebraska. A nice contrast to malfunctioning EA charge stations further east.
  • A Chevy dealership in Dubuque has a free 25kW charging station that was critical for my journey. Thanks, McGraff Chevrolet Dubuque!!
  • AirVenture was amazing and overwhelming, as always. 10,000 aircraft, 11,000 campsites, and 40,000 campers!

I’ve posted below a simple spreadsheet calculating the charging stops and times, as well as a link for the original videos about the camper, and a trip report from our first cross-country in the Lightning.

Love to hear your comments and questions.
Ford F-150 Lightning 2000-mile road trip with my DIY Lightning Trail slide-in pop-up camper IMG_5333.JPEG
Ford F-150 Lightning 2000-mile road trip with my DIY Lightning Trail slide-in pop-up camper IMG_5340.JPEG
Ford F-150 Lightning 2000-mile road trip with my DIY Lightning Trail slide-in pop-up camper IMG_5409.JPEG
Ford F-150 Lightning 2000-mile road trip with my DIY Lightning Trail slide-in pop-up camper Oshkosh high 1
Lightning Trail camper
Sponsored

Attachments

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
yes, it takes more 'planning' and travel calculations, even while you are driving, to make any long-range travel in EVs an easy task... most folks won't make that leap, and a few of us will - it's pressure filled at times, it's range anxiety at times, it's hoping you'll have a spot at the fast charger when you arrive, it's hoping the charging will actually activate when you plug in, it's hoping the speed will be anything close to what you expect, it's hoping the price will be fair, and it's hoping you don't need to get to 100% to get to the next charger, or your destination, since that in itself will be a trial in PATIENCE> : )) We all love it though : ))

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro w/ Tow Tech Package
Thank you for posting all of this. I've only ever charged at home and don't think I'm ready for a road trip. I like to preplan everything. While I like to pride myself on being the one that figures things out on the fly when there's a problem, on the inside I'm usually having a panicked meltdown...

Charging aside, everything else about your trip seems absolutely awesome. Congrats to you for making that amazing camper!

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I hear ya... and even the 'etiquette' at DC Fast Charger locations is something that many deal with, or don't deal with well.... meaning that there are no 'posted rules' about waiting for a charger... there is no way to 'know' who is next, etc., without jockeying into position to get the next opening, etc. This happens at Tesla Superchargers when they are full, too, but Tesla cars are a little easier to manage than our big trucks... our trucks also sometimes take up more than a single 'space', depending on the layout of the fast charger units, where their hoses are mounted, and just the shear lunacy of 'why' concrete post are put in the way of being able to come at different angle to a charge unit when maneuvering close. There still is a lot to be desired at many locations, but, we have to deal with what we have - we don't have another option just across the street, or down the road at the next exit.

OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for posting all of this. I've only ever charged at home and don't think I'm ready for a road trip. I like to preplan everything. While I like to pride myself on being the one that figures things out on the fly when there's a problem, on the inside I'm usually having a panicked meltdown...

Charging aside, everything else about your trip seems absolutely awesome. Congrats to you for making that amazing camper!
Thx.

One highlight I forgot to mention was the people you meet, often at charging stations! I'm always learning something from them. At one stop a gentleman was helping me connect to a stubborn charger, and suggested re-starting the Electrify America app, something he does all the time. Solved the problem instantly! Now I close the app after every connect and re-open it on arriving at a new location.

I hope you try at least a short road trip sometime. I'm sure you'll easily work through any obstacles. Good luck!

Sponsored
OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I hear ya... and even the 'etiquette' at DC Fast Charger locations is something that many deal with, or don't deal with well.... meaning that there are no 'posted rules' about waiting for a charger... there is no way to 'know' who is next, etc., without jockeying into position to get the next opening, etc. This happens at Tesla Superchargers when they are full, too, but Tesla cars are a little easier to manage than our big trucks... our trucks also sometimes take up more than a single 'space', depending on the layout of the fast charger units, where their hoses are mounted, and just the shear lunacy of 'why' concrete post are put in the way of being able to come at different angle to a charge unit when maneuvering close. There still is a lot to be desired at many locations, but, we have to deal with what we have - we don't have another option just across the street, or down the road at the next exit.
In my travels I've thankfully only had to wait for a charger once. I tend to waste more time moving the truck to try different chargers. On this last trip I moved it four times at one stop: first getting only 19kW, then 29kw, then no connection, and finally a whopping 49kw.

OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also had a 'duh' moment while driving, and using Alexa for math help... I was getting 1.75 miles per kWh at 66 mph, so I was burning 66/1.75=37.7 kWh per hour of driving. If I'm only charging at 50kW (as I often was off the interstate), my drive to charge ratio is only 1.3:1, so I'm spending 45 minutes charging for every hour of driving. During those times my effective speed was in the low 30 mph range, including stop time! It was well worth it to find the fastest possible charger.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I also had a 'duh' moment while driving, and using Alexa for math help... I was getting 1.75 miles per kWh at 66 mph, so I was burning 66/1.75=37.7 kWh per hour of driving. If I'm only charging at 50kW (as I often was off the interstate), my drive to charge ratio is only 1.3:1, so I'm spending 45 minutes charging for every hour of driving. During those times my effective speed was in the low 30 mph range, including stop time! It was well worth it to find the fastest possible charger.
Great to hear from you again. Read the first time when you build the slide in camper. Now, you tested it on a long trip to ultimate GA and EA gathering in NA. Lucky you are. Many pilots dream of this magical place. Great job with your rig setup. I admire your skills to built your own camper.
Myself, I opted with a rooftop tent.
My penalty is 10%. My cruising speeds at 65-70mph on interstates with BC on.
I do though share your tribulations and frustration you experienced while traveling and charging. What once used to be a good charging network with few EVs on the road, now it is a hustle, slow/derated stations, barely working, trying to accommodate an ever growing numbers of EVs.
As a paying member of EA, I am always disappointed by the state of their network of chargers, especially in the SE. I used to check on the stations while traveling to them a few minutes before arrival. Now, I don't depart if I see that the stations are inoperable. I just waiting like most of us to try the Tesla Supercharging network.
Hopefully, sooner than later.

Ford F-150 Lightning 2000-mile road trip with my DIY Lightning Trail slide-in pop-up camper PXL_20230602_215012693

Ford F-150 Lightning 2000-mile road trip with my DIY Lightning Trail slide-in pop-up camper PXL_20230602_214950304

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
Bottom line: Outside of the Tesla bubble (which I know little about), EV cross-country travel is still NOT really feasible for the average American, and the situation is not improving, but may get much worse as more EVs hit the road. We desperately need better reliability and more coverage. Tesla Supercharger access will help, I hope.
It is much worse than this time last year, which has changed my use case for my EVs. Tesla for trips and Lightning for everything else. I saw my first EV police vehicle (Mach E) last week in town. It was ticking vehicles at a break neck pace because it is IDEALLY suited for LOCAL traffic enforcement. Similarly, Tesla EV’s are better suited for national travel solely due to availability of charging.
The automotive industry is becoming digitized and the amount of change manufacturers/dealerships/etc must make is almost insurmountable. Because of this, some are just riding it out until disruption takes its course. This is slowing down the pace of innovation that could help level the playing field vs Tesla.

The debate whether EV’s are the future is all but over. Tesla chargers are easier to setup, to maintain and have a simpler design. Very similar to their vehicles and it’s understandable why they are winning. A major key to Tesla’s success is software. They can leverage software to minimize hardware (vehicle/charging/manufacturing) complexity and costs. Maybe another software company (Apple, Google, Microsoft) has intentions to expand its user base and use its software prowess to create or buyout a failing network? Data is the new oil and Tesla being the new de facto charging network has to be concerning to not just car manufacturers.

Props to you for being an early pioneer for national EV truck based camping. I have been local camping only due to reliability of charging. Let’s hope that access to superchargers changes that.

OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It is much worse than this time last year, which has changed my use case for my EVs. Tesla for trips and Lightning for everything else. I saw my first EV police vehicle (Mach E) last week in town. It was ticking vehicles at a break neck pace because it is IDEALLY suited for LOCAL traffic enforcement. Similarly, Tesla EV’s are better suited for national travel solely due to availability of charging.
The automotive industry is becoming digitized and the amount of change manufacturers/dealerships/etc must make is almost insurmountable. Because of this, some are just riding it out until disruption takes its course. This is slowing down the pace of innovation that could help level the playing field vs Tesla.

The debate whether EV’s are the future is all but over. Tesla chargers are easier to setup, to maintain and have a simpler design. Very similar to their vehicles and it’s understandable why they are winning. A major key to Tesla’s success is software. They can leverage software to minimize hardware (vehicle/charging/manufacturing) complexity and costs. Maybe another software company (Apple, Google, Microsoft) has intentions to expand its user base and use its software prowess to create or buyout a failing network? Data is the new oil and Tesla being the new de facto charging network has to be concerning to not just car manufacturers.

Props to you for being an early pioneer for national EV truck based camping. I have been local camping only due to reliability of charging. Let’s hope that access to superchargers changes that.
Does anyone know the real story why EA charge stations in some areas are so problematic and/or so poorly maintained? I talked to some folks at a Madison, WI EA stop (all stations severely de-rated) who told me they met the person who works on Madison-area stations. He apparently lives near Chicago (140 miles away?), and works on Madison-area stations as a subcontractor (he has another real job). So does Electrify America not have any dedicated maintenance staff?

Sponsored
OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great to hear from you again. Read the first time when you build the slide in camper. Now, you tested it on a long trip to ultimate GA and EA gathering in NA. Lucky you are. Many pilots dream of this magical place. Great job with your rig setup. I admire your skills to built your own camper.
Thx for the kind words.

I see three kayaks(?) Are you sleeping three in the tent?

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Thx for the kind words.

I see three kayaks(?) Are you sleeping three in the tent?
Only two people comfortably. My daughter, 22 opted for the tent. Privacy and more room. Being up top though gave us the opportunity to watch the wildlife circle the tent at night. Raccoons, coyotes and deer circling the tent.
The truck provides all the power we need at night. Fan, lights, charging the phones, 55quart fridge/freezer and an induction top burner to cook our meals.
Roughing it adds a new twist to primitive/off the grid camping.
Keep writing stories off your unique camper expeditions.
A word of advice, PATENT your creation, and sell the prints for a fee to anyone interested to build the camper on their own, if that is your intent.
Enjoy your Lightning.
May the Force Be with you.
Good luck.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Planning an EV road-trip is analogous to doing a flight plan. Lots of detail and work necessary. It is totally doable, but a big lift for many in the general public.

OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Planning an EV road-trip is analogous to doing a flight plan. Lots of detail and work necessary. It is totally doable, but a big lift for many in the general public.
:) That's basically what I told folks at the airshow who were curious about the Lightning (not a lot of overlap between airplane and EV types today). I told them it's very similar to planning a cross-country flight, but instead of checking weather forecasts and airport fuel availability, I check charging station status and reviews. You can't safely just hop in an airplane or an EV (today) and head across the country.

I'm a big advocate for EVs, and I always talk about how much I love the Lightning and how great EVs are for local daily use. But lately I've had to be honest and explain the challenge of cross-country travel with one. I fear that EVs are being produced and sold much faster than the infrastructure is being built and properly maintained to accommodate them. I wonder what, if anything, we as individuals can do to help that situation.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
My penalty is 10%. My cruising speeds at 65-70mph on interstates with BC on.
I do though share your tribulations and frustration you experienced while traveling and charging. What once used to be a good charging network with few EVs on the road, now it is a hustle, slow/derated stations, barely working, trying to accommodate an ever growing numbers of EVs.
As a paying member of EA, I am always disappointed by the state of their network of chargers, especially in the SE. I used to check on the stations while traveling to them a few minutes before arrival. Now, I don't depart if I see that the stations are inoperable. I just waiting like most of us to try the Tesla Supercharging network.
Hopefully, sooner than later.

PXL_20230602_215012693.jpg

PXL_20230602_214950304.jpg
Can you provide links to your entire tent/platform setup, please? Sorry if you have already done this. Looks awesome!!!
Sponsored