• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Possible additional RV Park charging solution

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron , Mazda Miata
First, a disclaimer. Unlike many on this forum, I am no expert when it comes to electrical issues and charging. So I probably won’t be able to answer many second level or beyond questions. That being said, my recent charging experience was educational and informative for me and so I thought that I would share it.

We just returned from our first 1,000 mile road trip from Orange County to Mammoth Lakes and back with a side trip to Death Valley in our ER Lariat. A great trip! While the EA chargers in Hisperia, Coso Junction and Bishop were great, there is no public high speed charging option yet in Mammoth. So I did some research and found that the Mammoth Mountain RV Park offered charging when spots were not already reserved or being used for a reasonable fee. The reviews on PlugShare were good and it was a fairly short walk from our condo. So before heading up I called them to confirm availability and inquire about what I needed to be able to use my Ford mobile charger. The gal I spoke to was very nice and said that all that I needed to do was to plug in my charger to their 240V outlet and I’d be good to go (first tip- ask if their outlets are 30Amp or 50Amp).

When I got to town and drove the truck down to charge the office was closed and I got their voicemail when I called. I picked an open spot and got out my charger. It didn’t fit because their outlet (as apparently most are at RV Parks) is a tt-30 amp plug. So for that night I used the 120V option provided for a whopping 1KW/hour charge.

Fortunately, I had enough charge already to get through the week without a big charge but I thought I’d go back when the office was open and try again before heading home. I was excited to see that they had single 30-50 adapters for sale and I bought one from the nice, but unknowledgeable lady at the desk. The plugs matched perfectly but it would not charge. So I plugged the 120 in and went back to the office and returned the adapter. I had to go back to the truck to re-start the charging process when a guy approached me with a different type of adapter. It turns out that he is the onsite guru of all things RV Park and charging. He said that he heard I was having trouble. I explained my experience with the adapter I bought from them and he said those type don’t work on EV’s usually. In his hands he had an adapter that plugs into the two adjacent tt-30 plugs and then into my 50Amp charger (See photo). He said that this has worked successfully on many EV’s including Rivian, Genesis, and Tesla. It worked on my Lightning as well, delivering 6KW’s per hour.

when I returned the next day I ran into him again and he helped me find the similar solution online and so I ordered one (see other photo). When I get it I plan to test it out at a local RV Park.

I hope that this post is helpful.

Ford F-150 Lightning Possible additional RV Park charging solution 74DBC899-1CA3-4CD9-916A-9CAC4E89CFB9

Ford F-150 Lightning Possible additional RV Park charging solution 8F3E979F-409A-409B-95EB-A3A3D7707F61
Sponsored

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
I would like to charge at mammoth as well so thanks for sharing this. How did the RV park charge you for the electrical provided? How much was it?

steve

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Thank you for sharing! I’m also going to buy that adapter too. I’m in Tahoe and planning to go next year along 395 and visiting same locations. Im considering Death Valley towards the end of it before turning back. Did you find chargers in Death Valley?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The TT30 is a 120 volt receptacle. His dual solution works when the two TT30s are on opposite legs of the supply, yielding 240V.
Technically, the Ford Mobile Charger will overload a 30A circuit, but you can do this 99% of the time without issues.
The breaker is right there in the box with the receptacles so there’s no building to burn down!

OP
OP
LSP

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would like to charge at mammoth as well so thanks for sharing this. How did the RV park charge you for the electrical provided? How much was it?

steve
They charge in time blocks. It was $26 for overnight. FYI, I have been emailing the City Manager to get them to get a high speed option put in.

Sponsored
OP
OP
LSP

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for sharing! I’m also going to buy that adapter too. I’m in Tahoe and planning to go next year along 395 and visiting same locations. Im considering Death Valley towards the end of it before turning back. Did you find chargers in Death Valley?
Yes, there are two in Furnace Creek. One is by the Ranch that we didn’t use. There is also one at the Inn at Furnace Creek where we stayed and it was free. I highly recommend a visit. It is truly an amazing place.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Yes, there are two in Furnace Creek. One is by the Ranch that we didn’t use. There is also one at the Inn at Furnace Creek where we stayed and it was free. I highly recommend a visit. It is truly an amazing place.
I appreciate that information, it’s going to be a great trip and I feel more comfortable going into DV with a couple of options for chargers!

Could you please provide a link for that adapter? I just want to make sure I buy the right one. Thanks!

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Thanks for sharing. Shocked MM has no high speed charging. I’m thinking of a 395 trip, San Diego to June Lake.

OP
OP
LSP

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I appreciate that information, it’s going to be a great trip and I feel more comfortable going into DV with a couple of options for chargers!

Could you please provide a link for that adapter? I just want to make sure I buy the right one. Thanks!

Here is the product that I am buying on Amazon. Since I haven’t received it yet I cannot guarantee that it will work. http://epicord.net/Product-member/rv-y-adapter-ry-30250/

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
I bought one of these for 120v you can get 30amps off two 120v 15amp legs. Not recommended but in a pinch will work.

Sponsored
OP
OP
LSP

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I bought one of these for 120v you can get 30amps off two 120v 15amp legs. Not recommended but in a pinch will work.
What is the downside?

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
The TT30 is a 120 volt receptacle. His dual solution works when the two TT30s are on opposite legs of the supply, yielding 240V.
Technically, the Ford Mobile Charger will overload a 30A circuit, but you can do this 99% of the time without issues.
The breaker is right there in the box with the receptacles so there’s no building to burn down!
Question: Is there an easy way to test that the two recepticals are wired on opposite legs prior to possibly frying your charger if they’re not? …or, will just not charge….?

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
Question: Is there an easy way to test that the two recepticals are wired on opposite legs prior to possibly frying your charger if they’re not? …or, will just not charge….?
The breaker will trip immediately if they are on same leg and charger is plugged in. Can buy a plug in tester for around 15$.

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
What is the downside?
You are running 120v wires at close to max continuos amperage and normally breakers aren’t nearby so when it trips it’s a pain.