• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging at an RV site?

johnnyonetime

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I used campground 50amp outlets many times - you simply plug in your 50amp 4-prong EVSE adapter and plug it into the outlet - easy. 30amp of speed will take about 10-12 hours depending on your real SOC when you start, and where you end, accordingly also to your battery pack size.

I would never 'tell' anyone at a campground - that's simply asking for trouble. If you rent the campsite, it's yours to use for whatever you please. Most campground owners have no clue about EVs, nor do they care.
I totally agree, better to ask forgiveness than permission.
The one time I asked about EV charging at a private campground prior to booking they had to call me back with a no.
At most state park campgrounds I’ve used the 50amp to charge my truck and the 30 amp to power my trailer with no issues.
Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I used campground 50amp outlets many times - you simply plug in your 50amp 4-prong EVSE adapter and plug it into the outlet - easy. 30amp of speed will take about 10-12 hours depending on your real SOC when you start, and where you end, accordingly also to your battery pack size.

I would never 'tell' anyone at a campground - that's simply asking for trouble. If you rent the campsite, it's yours to use for whatever you please. Most campground owners have no clue about EVs, nor do they care.
All of this. ^^

I’ve only had a problem at one campground, and they won’t see me again. It was the KOA in Coleville, CA if anyone plans a stop there.

Rocket808

First Name
Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER

I wouldn’t quite say that.

when I recently went to Death Valley national park and into the ranger station - they specifically told me I couldn’t charge (the EV sound and no idle gave it away)

in fact they specifically noted that “ their system can’t do the continuous power draw and any damage caused to the electrical system will be attributed to me and repaired at my cost”

seems potentially non provable for “any” damage, but it was enough for me to go to the areas where there were a couple of slow blink chargers.

I did feel the “I paid for a site with electric power” but I do know that cheap 220V plugs and their wires at home installs have caused fires - so a campsite install was probably high risk (at least for me)

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I wouldn’t quite say that.

when I recently went to Death Valley national park and into the ranger station - they specifically told me I couldn’t charge (the EV sound and no idle gave it away)

in fact they specifically noted that “ their system can’t do the continuous power draw and any damage caused to the electrical system will be attributed to me and repaired at my cost”

seems potentially non provable for “any” damage, but it was enough for me to go to the areas where there were a couple of slow blink chargers.

I did feel the “I paid for a site with electric power” but I do know that cheap 220V plugs and their wires at home installs have caused fires - so a campsite install was probably high risk (at least for me)
I was told the same line from that Coleville KOA. It’s straight BS by people who don’t care to understand. Their wiring is either compliant with electrical codes or its not. There are some big RVs with three A/C units, electric clothes driers, microwaves, and other big electrical loads that use more power than a 30A EV charger.

Electrical codes require that a 50A outlet be capable of providing 50A, and it’s safe to draw 80% of that on a continuous basis to charge a car. If the system can’t handle that, it’s not compliant with the electrical code and not safe to use.

I’ve had a couple of breakers trip at 32A, but only at really old campsites with electrical posts that looked older than me. I think age eventually caught up with the breakers, but I was able to charge by dialing down current. I wish our trucks gave us that option.

RaptorEV

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 12C
Occupation
Secret Agent
I was told the same line from that Coleville KOA. It’s straight BS by people who don’t care to understand. Their wiring is either compliant with electrical codes or its not. There are some big RVs with three A/C units, electric clothes driers, microwaves, and other big electrical loads that use more power than a 30A EV charger.

Electrical codes require that a 50A outlet be capable of providing 50A, and it’s safe to draw 80% of that on a continuous basis to charge a car. If the system can’t handle that, it’s not compliant with the electrical code and not safe to use.

I’ve had a couple of breakers trip at 32A, but only at really old campsites with electrical posts that looked older than me. I think age eventually caught up with the breakers, but I was able to charge by dialing down current. I wish our trucks gave us that option.
You're paying for a campsite, not an EV charge. Pulling 80kWh is going to cost the campground probably at least $25, maybe more. Around here, it would be about $40. You cannot believe that to be fair.

Sponsored

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
You're paying for a campsite, not an EV charge. Pulling 80kWh is going to cost the campground probably at least $25, maybe more. Around here, it would be about $40. You cannot believe that to be fair.
lol as if campsites are cheap, especially KOA.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I can live with that explanation if it’s what I was given. That’s an outrageously high electrical rate that would be four times the national average, but most areas are much less.

I’d be happy to pay for the extra power, but they didn’t offer that either. They said it would wreck their electrical system and issued threats about damage. That’s either a sign of ignorance or an admission their system is unsafe.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Be sure to check to see if you have permission to use it as such. Some campgrounds are prohibiting EV charging.
cost the campground probably at least $25
All depends on the campground I guess. The cheap ones are trashy and the nice ones are so expensive that you might as well hotel. Just passed one today that was $30 a day with ZERO services.

Dave Glover

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
Hi folks, I've had my lightning for 3 months and have only charged from my home charger (Pro provided by Ford).
I'm about to take my first trip from Austin, Tx to Mountain View, Arkansas so my first experience with using 3rd party chargers.
The area in Arkansas is somewhat remote and doesn't have many charging options other than RV spots with 50 amp plugs (see pic).
My question is if there are any risks associated with using the Ford provided, mobile charger, at this 50 amp RV site?
If it will work, how long should I expect to charge from say 20% to 85%?
Many thanks in advance! Oh, and I will be pulling my bike (see pic) so any advice on towing longer distances would be appreceiated.

36717.jpeg

20240326_100127.jpg

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER

That is not true. The NEC specifically has sizing for RV park receptacles based on known demands for the use they are being designed for and they allow the service to be quite a bit smaller than if it was not an RV park. EV chargers on the other hand are in another section and you have to take the charger at 125% the connected load.

This means that if you try to charge your EV and you're sharing your receptacle with a couple RVs, you are way more likely going to cause that circuit to trip.

Sponsored

Dave Glover

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
I travel to Mexico (Rocky Point) and there are no level 3 stations in that area, so I use RV campgrounds (and they are all over the place) to do my charging. I usually have to leave it overnight to get a complete charge. They charge $25 to $30 per twenty four hours for a NEMA 14-50 50 amp connector. I've had no problems with doing that. You can leave your EV there as long (up to 24 hours) or short as you want. If am traveling back the US where I need a full 100% charge I will leave it overnight taking a taxi to my hotel. I use the Emporia 40 amp charge cable rather than the 30 amp Ford supplied cable for faster charging.

lkfraser

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23F150 Lightning
Hi folks, I've had my lightning for 3 months and have only charged from my home charger (Pro provided by Ford).
I'm about to take my first trip from Austin, Tx to Mountain View, Arkansas so my first experience with using 3rd party chargers.
The area in Arkansas is somewhat remote and doesn't have many charging options other than RV spots with 50 amp plugs (see pic).
My question is if there are any risks associated with using the Ford provided, mobile charger, at this 50 amp RV site?
If it will work, how long should I expect to charge from say 20% to 85%?
Many thanks in advance! Oh, and I will be pulling my bike (see pic) so any advice on towing longer distances would be appreceiated.

36717.jpeg

20240326_100127.jpg
Yes, I've charged overnight at 50 amp rv sites across California without any issues. I never asked for special permission and never got any negative feedback about it.

johnnyonetime

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
FL state parks charge
FL state parks charge $7 per day utility fee, includes electricity, water and in some cases sewer. That’s on top of $28 for the site. With minimal overhead and volunteer campground hosts doing the site prep and cleaning it seems plenty fair to me.
BTW reservations are tough to find at the popular parks.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Yes, I've charged overnight at 50 amp rv sites across California without any issues. I never asked for special permission and never got any negative feedback about it.
SAME HERE

if you are 'scared', then don't do it. if you are not, then use the outlet for whatever you wish, it's yours. I see no reason to 'ask' someone's permission, any more than whether my motorhome's batteries need charging, or my car, or my truck, or my bike, or anything.
We've traveled the country and have never had anyone 'tell' us not to do 'this' or 'that' with our electrical outlet we've paid to park at.