• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PowerBoost GVWR Question

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
You can work the other direction and start with the curb weight of the truck configuration you started with and then add the weight of each option, which would be what you subtract from GVW.
Folks can get within a few lbs with due diligence.

This is the Ford document provided for folks to do the worksheet and get close to Cargo Capacity estimate before the build.
That is exactly what we all did during the excruciating wait for our trucks :) I haven't looked at this one you attached but at the time the 2021 specs still appeared to only contain options that were always there in gen13. Nothing specific to the '21 was included. We didn't know what the 7.2kW weighed vs the 2.4kW, the 2.0kW propower, the hybrid battery (though we could deduce 550# from other sources), the fold flat seats, the fold flat console, the power tailgate (beyond the step weight). All these things were up in the air while we waited and getting those first yellow stickers posted was very exciting!
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Only 25 lbs for the tonneau cover. What the heck is that made out of. I have a Ford quad fold aluminum top type of cover and one quad alone would weigh 25 lbs.

Truck came in at 1320 without the tonneau cover and only the 2.4 system with tow mirrors and no bed liner, pretty much everything else though. 6.5 foot box

154D8F3E-5869-4616-B2C1-979222396881.jpeg
If you got a PB 157" then I'm guessing you got the 4000# front axle and 4150# rear, with a GVWR of 7350#. That's a comfortable margin I would say!

Personally I'm really happy they beef up the front axle so much for PB even though the battery is basically at the center of gravity point. I keep the bed of mine basically empty and the trailer tongue weight definitely does not take up the whole rear GAWR capability, especially weight distributed. It's the front axle that will hit GAWR faster with driver and passenger and weight distribution hitch all included.

Ford F-150 Lightning PowerBoost GVWR Question 1639621374115

Ford F-150 Lightning PowerBoost GVWR Question 1639621516582

(FYI: The yellow highlight is INCORRECT. Every EB maxtow gets a 3600# front axle not 3650#)
If you look at the rear GAWR margin, it's too much! No one is putting 2k pounds of tongue weight on there. Then for the battery weight, they compensated the PB front GAWR by 300# and kept the same rear axle as the maxtow EB of 4150# because its too much margin. (Yes, there is a fulcrum effect but proper weigh distribution will compensate, but front axle will still hit limit first with passengers)

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
I think marketing is what "allows" the PB to carry 300 additional pounds.

If they didn't raise the GVWR of the PB, the payload would be suffocatingly low.

If they raised the GVWR of the non PB motors, they would risk canibalizing high margin Super Duty/Power Stroke sales.

There may be some small strutural differences...but I think it's nothing more than dipping into the built in payload margin to make the PB more attractive.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum

If they didn't raise the GVWR of the PB, the payload would be suffocatingly low.

If they raised the GVWR of the non PB motors, they would risk canibalizing high margin Super Duty/Power Stroke sales.

There may be some small strutural differences...but I think it's nothing more than dipping into the built in payload margin to make the PB more attractive.
I bet you are right.
And a good reason they will NOT let you choose the Hybrid 3.5 Ecoboost when you pick Heavy Duty Payload Package.

An F150 with an additional 1000lbs of Payload AND that generator?? Not gonna let us have that! That's an F250 lost sale everytime

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

The small structural difference is a 300# stiffer front axle spring. That's it. Same tires, same frame, same rear axle (vs max EB). They mapped that front axle GAWR directly to the vehicle GVWR, plain and simple.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I bet you are right.
And a good reason they will NOT let you choose the Hybrid 3.5 Ecoboost when you pick Heavy Duty Payload Package.

An F150 with an additional 1000lbs of Payload AND that generator?? Not gonna let us have that! That's an F250 lost sale everytime
The surprising thing is that they didn't propagate the propower up into the superduty line! That's a dream camping machine right there, especially for bigger trailers with 50A service. I tested my 50A trailer with both A/C's running and still had tons of room left under 30A on both circuits, I would never be able to exceed the truck. Lotta 5th wheelers out there are salivating just waiting for this since half ton is way too incapable of nearly all 5ers.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The surprising thing is that they didn't propagate the propower up into the superduty line! That's a dream camping machine right there, especially for bigger trailers with 50A service. I tested my 50A trailer with both A/C's running and still had tons of room left under 30A on both circuits, I would never be able to exceed the truck. Lotta 5th wheelers out there are salivating just waiting for this since half ton is way too incapable of nearly all 5ers.
I predict ProPower WILL make it into the SuperDuty. Heck, I think Ford has every truck brand discussing the utility feature for their product line. The cats outta the bag.

But the whole Hybrid 7.2KW package? That's a tougher decision. So which motor does Ford pick? The 7.3 or the diesel?
If it were my choice it would be the 7.3 since it's less expensive entry point, AND it's Ford's fleet motor, so they'd have a larger customer base to pay for the production cost.

Your right though. It'd be a 5th wheel dream machine.

Maljr1980

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
Project Manager
I bet you are right.

I’m pretty sure if I needed that payload and towing capacity I’d want to have a 6.7 power stroke, definitely not a super duty lost sale every time.

thomps33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I predict ProPower WILL make it into the SuperDuty. Heck, I think Ford has every truck brand discussing the utility feature for their product line. The cats outta the bag.

But the whole Hybrid 7.2KW package? That's a tougher decision. So which motor does Ford pick? The 7.3 or the diesel?
If it were my choice it would be the 7.3 since it's less expensive entry point, AND it's Ford's fleet motor, so they'd have a larger customer base to pay for the production cost.

Your right though. It'd be a 5th wheel dream machine.
There's no way they'll but the pro power in a diesel. All that low exhaust temp idling time is horrible for the emissions on a diesel.

Maljr1980

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
There's no way they'll but the pro power in a diesel. All that low exhaust temp idling time is horrible for the emissions on a diesel.
Umm, diesel trucks are made to sit and idle. Notice how those big rig diesel reefer trucks sit and idle all night long while the driver sleeps.

Sponsored

thomps33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Umm, diesel trucks are made to sit and idle. Notice how those big rig diesel reefer trucks sit and idle all night long while the driver sleeps.
Sure, for long periods of time where they can go through the regen process. It's a whole nothing ball game when the truck is only turning on for a few minutes at a time to recharge the battery.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m pretty sure if I needed that payload and towing capacity I’d want to have a 6.7 power stroke, definitely not a super duty lost sale every time.
The Powerboost has Horsepower and Torque numbers that F350 diesels would have envied for decades. It's the chassis that the normal F150 just can't carry the weight.
But an HDPP XLT CrewCab has 2800lbs of Cargo Capacity, combined with ~600 lbs of torque?
Sure, it'd still be far short of the capabilities of an F350 Diesel, but it'd be a great truck for towing the 5ths with less than 1500 lbs of pin weight.

Maljr1980

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
The Powerboost has Horsepower and Torque numbers that F350 diesels would have envied for decades. It's the chassis that the normal F150 just can't carry the weight.
But an HDPP XLT CrewCab has 2800lbs of Cargo Capacity, combined with ~600 lbs of torque?
Sure, it'd still be far short of the capabilities of an F350 Diesel, but it'd be a great truck for towing the 5ths with less than 1500 lbs of pin weight.
I was also thinking you will get much better gas mileage towing something that size with a diesel

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
If you got a PB 157" then I'm guessing you got the 4000# front axle and 4150# rear, with a GVWR of 7350#. That's a comfortable margin I would say!

Personally I'm really happy they beef up the front axle so much for PB even though the battery is basically at the center of gravity point. I keep the bed of mine basically empty and the trailer tongue weight definitely does not take up the whole rear GAWR capability, especially weight distributed. It's the front axle that will hit GAWR faster with driver and passenger and weight distribution hitch all included.

1639621374115.png

1639621516582.png

(FYI: The yellow highlight is INCORRECT. Every EB maxtow gets a 3600# front axle not 3650#)
If you look at the rear GAWR margin, it's too much! No one is putting 2k pounds of tongue weight on there. Then for the battery weight, they compensated the PB front GAWR by 300# and kept the same rear axle as the maxtow EB of 4150# because its too much margin. (Yes, there is a fulcrum effect but proper weigh distribution will compensate, but front axle will still hit limit first with passengers)
Turns out the front is 4000.

Ford F-150 Lightning PowerBoost GVWR Question 1E8C9A8C-3EAF-47B6-9D36-235EBCDDE982

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is exactly what we all did during the excruciating wait for our trucks :) I haven't looked at this one you attached but at the time the 2021 specs still appeared to only contain options that were always there in gen13. Nothing specific to the '21 was included. We didn't know what the 7.2kW weighed vs the 2.4kW, the 2.0kW propower, the hybrid battery (though we could deduce 550# from other sources), the fold flat seats, the fold flat console, the power tailgate (beyond the step weight). All these things were up in the air while we waited and getting those first yellow stickers posted was very exciting!
Hey, thanks for all the collective effort that went into researching the Powerboost Payload parameters. Not everyone really cares to know all the ins/outs, but if you are someone willing to special order a truck with the intention of keeping the balance between features and Payload penalties, this information is very valuable.

Again, kudos! ???
Sponsored