• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PowerBoost GVWR Question

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150
I had posted this up on another Ford forum, but didnt really get an answer so thought maybe here would be a good place.

Perhaps I am thinking too much into this, but given the importance that some put on the number on the yellow sticker I thought it could be an interesting conversation.

So the PowerBoost trucks up the GVWR from 7050 to 7350. I have heard this is to try to account for the extra weight of the hybrid system without killing the trucks overall Payload.

My question is, what changed to allow the platform to carry that extra 300lbs?

It's the same frame, its the traditional 3 leaf spring pack - but you can also get those on the max tow trucks they are not unique to the PowerBoost.

It does have the 3:73 rear end which had historically been reserved for the 5.0 or the HDPP Trucks /w the 3.5, but I would think the rear gear ratio has more to do with what the truck can pull as compared to what it can carry.

So what's magic that allows the PowerBoost to be rated to 7350 GVWR?

As a soon to be owner of a very heavy Platinum 3.5 Eco Build who also likes to tow a boat from time to time I would love to know
Ford F-150 Lightning PowerBoost GVWR Question smile
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Ford has yet to reveal publicly anything that accounts for the 300lb increase.
So we are left with conjecture.

At the very least it implies that Ford, and probably many manufacturers, are likely arbitrary to some degree with their official declared specs. Afterall, from an engineering point of view there is headroom in the actual physics.
If you exceeded an axle rating by 1 pound, you wouldn't expect it to break. But you WOULD be accountable for being over the limit, if accountability came into play.

The frame Ford uses for the HDPP F150 is, upon close inspection, altered from the non-HDPP frame. I think it has a couple of cross braces added. But it increases Payload by a HUGE margin. Based on that, an increase of 300lbs could be claimed as a result of the bracket/brace added that carries the Hybrid battery under the cab. Who knows? :)

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
It would be interesting to see what your payload is with all the options. Mine is 1920 lbs with my Lariat. I do know they use different frame thicknesses based on what engine you get, which is what helps with the 5.0 higher payload. Was this the same on the previous gen, I have no clue.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
There's always a safety factor built in, we just won't know what it is. Is it 20%, 40%. It really depends on how over engineered it is. You don't want to depend on the safety factor, it's safer to stick to what the labels say.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was unaware of different frame material thickness.
A Powerboost with EVERY option available including sprayin bed and factory tonneau cover and 157" wheelbase will have a Cargo Capacity of 1254lbs according to the yellow sticker.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150
Based on that, an increase of 300lbs could be claimed as a result of the bracket/brace added that carries the Hybrid battery under the cab. Who knows? :)
Well if nothing else your reply validated that I am not losing my mind. I am sure we have been over GVWR on our current truck w/ the boat hooked up, just depends on how much beer we have in the cooler and gas in the boat.

I dont like the idea of busting through GVWR on a regular basis, but Ford randomly adding 300lbs here and there sure makes it seem like a bit less of a hard limit than many assume.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well if nothing else your reply validated that I am not losing my mind. I am sure we have been over GVWR on our current truck w/ the boat hooked up, just depends on how much beer we have in the cooler and gas in the boat.

I dont like the idea of busting through GVWR on a regular basis, but Ford randomly adding 300lbs here and there sure makes it seem like a bit less of a hard limit than many assume.
It's a "hard limit" from a responsibility/legal point of view, but nobody will ever convince me that the limit is a legitimate ceiling for the weight bearing capacity physically. There has to be engineered headroom for the purpose of physics.
If the axle rating was the maximum weight the axle could bear, the catastrophic circumstances would be legendary.

But remember, we are discussing the very specific 300lbs that Ford graciously provided the amazing Powerboost. I'd argue that from an engineering standpoint, increasing the GVW "rating" from 7050 to 7350 wouldn't require anything significant. And it appears it is so INsignificant that they hope we don't ask. Lol

Valleyrider

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I was unaware of different frame material thickness.
A Powerboost with EVERY option available including sprayin bed and factory tonneau cover and 157" wheelbase will have a Cargo Capacity of 1254lbs according to the yellow sticker.
Ford F-150 Lightning PowerBoost GVWR Question D1632619-3986-41F6-ADD4-EF1FCB35490B

Every option except the factory tonneau and I’m sitting 1284

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
D1632619-3986-41F6-ADD4-EF1FCB35490B.jpeg

Every option except the factory tonneau and I’m sitting 1284
Looks like it! That must be some truck!

You have 6.5' bed?
By the way, according to Ford that extra foot only adds 21 lbs to curb weight.
They claim 25 lbs for the tonneau cover, so there's 5 lbs missing somewhere. ??

Valleyrider

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

You have 6.5' bed?
I only have the 5.5’ bed on mine.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
To try to reverse engineer exactly what you are asking about, I began asking for everyone's WHITE stickers in addition to the yellow. The white stickers list each individual GAWR. When you look at all the F150 specs doc, we get the same frame, same tires, and the only thing that apparently changes is the axle ratings (spring strengths). They definitely try to target each truck with exactly the springs they need to balance stiffness vs capability.

On the powerboosts, if I remember right (I have to try to find my spreadsheet) the FRONT axle gets an increase of 300# capability and it ALL goes straight to the 300# increase in GVWR. This led me to conclude that the springs are the limiting factor (not tires, frame, or stopping distance). Thats why I was not afraid of the specsmanship calculation that in theory makes people think maxtow will decrease your payload rating. If I get the best rated springs, I'm already there as far as optimizing my GVWR.

Let me see if I can find that spreadsheet...

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can work the other direction and start with the curb weight of the truck configuration you started with and then add the weight of each option, which would be what you subtract from GVW.
Folks can get within a few lbs with due diligence.

This is the Ford document provided for folks to do the worksheet and get close to Cargo Capacity estimate before the build.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic

You have 6.5' bed?
Only 25 lbs for the tonneau cover. What the heck is that made out of. I have a Ford quad fold aluminum top type of cover and one quad alone would weigh 25 lbs.

Truck came in at 1320 without the tonneau cover and only the 2.4 system with tow mirrors and no bed liner, pretty much everything else though. 6.5 foot box

Ford F-150 Lightning PowerBoost GVWR Question 154D8F3E-5869-4616-B2C1-979222396881

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 25lb tonneau cover is described as "Soft". The list doesn't include them all and I suspect the official software program that determines the yellow sticker print job is more granular than the document we consumers have.
Sponsored