• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powered cooler vs mini-fridge?

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
I used a thermoelectric cooler in the trunk of a Honda Civic once on a cross country trip. Worked great.

My only complaint with it is that it generates a lot of condensation in a humid climate. Not so much when it’s locked in the trunk but when it’s running in the open air.
Sponsored

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I have been researching Portable Refrigerator/Freezers for some time for my Lightning. The best are newer designed energy efficient compressor types. They are availabel in sizes from 35 - 75 Qts, $300 - $600 (and much more for the top of the line Dometics).
Each will have various exterior sizes, internal refrigerator/freezer sizes (and even some with removable partitions), prices, and energy draws (45-90 watts). Several have wheels and adjustible handles. Most can use 120/240v or 12v or solar or their own battery.

Best brands are Dometic (Expensive), Bodega and Bouge RV, and Costway (Budget).
I could not afford Dometic, reviews were not as good for Costway and Bodega, and 59 Qts was the best size for my use.

My pick is the BougeRV 12 Volt Car Refrigerator Dual Zone, Portable Freezer Fridge APP Control, 59 Quart (55L) Compressor Freezer Fridge ($519.99 at Amazon)($529.99 and 10% off with code at Bougerv.com and free shipping)

Ford F-150 Lightning Powered cooler vs mini-fridge? Bouge.PNG

My Reasons:

External Dimensions 28"L x 18.1"W x 22.5"H
Compartment (2) Dimensions 7.9"L x 12.2"W x 11.7"H and 10.6"L x 12.2"W x 18.6"H
Dual Zone Refrigeration - Either Freezer and Fridge or All Freezer/All Fridge
Portability at about 40 lbs. and adjustable handles, and comes with Two Removable Baskets
External and Internal Sizes (Can fit nicely either in the Frunk or Fold-Down Back Seat)
It has two compartments which you can control temp independently. It can be both a refrigerator and a freezer at the same time (fridge/fridge, fridge/freezer, freezer/freezer). You can cool drinks and chill meat, etc at the same time.
It has an App where you can control the temps, setting the mode, turn on/off this car refrigerator all from your phone, and instructions are also mounted on the exterior below the touch controls
Built In LED Lights
The Maximum Tilt Angle is about 30°~45° although after being moved you must let compressor gas settle before re-plugging in
Two Energy Modes - ECO(45W)/MAX(60W) cooling mode, LED lighting, 45dB low noise, USB for charging electronic equipment, chopping board for cutting food
If left plugged in it will use about 1 KW/Day
Two Year Warranty for the Compressor and all other accessories
This Model has been on the market for less than two years and is marketed to RV'ers
I can use this on long trips or to bring home groceries.

I welcome your comments.

Edit: I ordered this yesterday with delivery Friday. I will post a review in a couple of weeks after I have run it through the tests.

My final price was $505 after 10% off for giving them my email address and with free shipping. Both their website and Amazon charged sales tax so what I paid beat Amazon by about $45.

Last edited:

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
My son got a 12v fridge freez from Costco. Been down hundreds of miles of dirt roads. Still working.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Whenever I make a large purchase I try to justify it before I hit the 'Buy' button. :)

In this case I had thought about it even before buying the Lightning.

Years ago I had bought two other portable refrigerators (Koolatron & Coleman) I used with my Escape Hybrid while camping. They were good but slow and both operated both AC/DC. I also used them to carry cold groceries from Stater Bros. and Costco to home (back then 45 minutes in a So Cal Palm Springs desert location).

Now my drive is more like 30 minutes but with 100+ degree temps in Summer. With this I should be equipped to keep my ice cream, meat, and seafood frozen; veggies not being limp. To work right it will require pre-cooling in much the same time period I will be preconditioning my Lightning. The fridge comes with an App to control the unit from my armchair to truck.

I can also park it full of ice and drinks next to my butt in the patio on hot evenings. ;)

Lastly, I have a chest freezer that sometimes quits freezing (I don't want to buy the $100 part it needs) and I have to scurry around finding an alternate place to keep my stuff frozen after I reset the old freezer and it again cools down a few hours later. My Bouge will take care of that also.

Like I said......JUSTIFY.......just like I had to justify buying an $80,000 truck (twice the cost of any vehicle I had ever bought) that I could really do without! 😭

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
Well my wife has decided that my lighting will have a powered cooler. Not for camping though. She wants to use my baby for grocery shopping. She thinks it will work great to keep her frozen foods from thawing.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
We have a powered cooler around 25 years old. It can cool, or heat. However, cooling is a specific number of degrees below ambient air, if I recall correctly 40. So when it's 70 the cooler can go down to 30. But when it's 90 it only goes down to 50.

JLee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, 2015 Mustang GT, 2005 GX470
I didn't realize they are putting compressors in "coolers" now. I thought these powered coolers were all running on thermoelectric cooling. I have to assume a cooler with a compressor is going to be designed to be more durable than a mini-fridge. It's probably a better option although a thermoelectric cooler will be the most durable.
Some are legitimate fridge/freezers - I've had a couple, bounced 'em around pretty good and they have worked really well. Lifesavers on longer trips when ice isn't readily accessible (plus not having inadvertent "food meets melted ice" moments is great). I run one in the back of my GX470 now, but am hoping to find one that'll fit nicely in the front of the Lightning.
Ford F-150 Lightning Powered cooler vs mini-fridge? cMTtVnC

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
I just use a regular fridge in my F-150 Poweboost. $150 on Amazon. I didn't want to get one of the more expensive powered dc-compatible coolers. I have used this fridge for a year now in the truck, in California summer heat and it's still working flawlessly. I keep a themometer inside and it's always around 40F or lower depending on the setting. Glueing some extra insulation on the outside would make it more efficient, but it uses very little power relative to the amount the Lightning or Powerboost stores - 60W every so often. I just leave the truck on when I have something in it, or I carry around a 500wh battery for when I really want the truck off - that'll last about 20 hours including overnight. I'll probably not use that very often at all when I have the Lightning.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powered cooler vs mini-fridge? 1652401124326

Last edited:

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
My understanding is that you cannot drive if the outlet doors on the trunk are open (am I reading that correctly - Owner's Manual page 189 below?). That makes using those for a fridge in the trunk problematic. One would have to run power from the cabin into the trunk if you wanted to keep a fridge back there powered on all the time.

View attachment 49567
You can. You just need to acknowledge the warning that something is plugged in. It's just to avoid you driving off whilst still powering your dryer in your garage via a long cable from your truck bed!

Sponsored

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XLT, 2023 F150L
You can. You just need to acknowledge the warning that something is plugged in. It's just to avoid you driving off whilst still powering your dryer in your garage via a long cable from your truck bed!
Thanks.....and oooops (I deleted my post since I figured that out, but you had already replied).

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just use a regular fridge in my F-150 Poweboost. $150 on Amazon. I didn't want to get one of the more expensive powered dc-compatible coolers. I have used this fridge for a year now in the truck, in California summer heat and it's still working flawlessly. I keep a themometer inside and it's always around 40F or lower depending on the setting. Glueing some extra insulation on the outside would make it more efficient, but it uses very little power relative to the amount the Lightning or Powerboost stores - 60W every so often. I just leave the truck on when I have something in it, or I carry around a 500wh battery for when I really want the truck off - that'll last about 20 hours including overnight. I'll probably not use that very often at all when I have the Lightning.

1652401124326.png
@petemill That is awesome to see you have implemented that on a hybrid (I assume). I have implemented my Lightning mock-up (below) on my ICE F-150 using propane for a stove. I use battery power to run my fridge and water pump (I have a 40 gallon RV tank strapped in the front of the bed). The kitchenette is pull-out for easier access. I'll post a picture of that later.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powered cooler vs mini-fridge? data

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here is my prototype version. Not visible is the on-demand pump that works like charm!

In the final electrified/Lightning version it will be great to free up space - no propane tank, no battery, no big stove....and a frunk! Running HOT water will also be an upgrade for showers and washing dishes.

Not installed yet is a 4.9'x10' pull-out awning that will go right behind the fridge/propane storage area. That will completely max out the available storage area under the tonneau cover

Ford F-150 Lightning Powered cooler vs mini-fridge? data

bp299

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2018 Raptor
Will these coolers, like the Bodega, stay running in the frunk when the truck is off? Wife wants it also so the grocery store doesn't have to be the last stop for cold stuff.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Think I'm going with the Alpicool T36 which is about $300 on Amazon. Has an LG compressor, dual zone temp, app based control, and an ac or dc option. Best of all, looks like it will fit perfectly in the frunk.

It might even be too big (in capacity for my needs)... But that's the one I'm gonna try first.
Sponsored