• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powered cooler vs mini-fridge?

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
Picked up the Bodega 53qt for $360 yesterday. Largest size I could find while appearing likely to fit under the tonneau. Seemed to be the best-priced for a decent volume as well.
Sponsored

bp299

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2018 Raptor
Did the 53 fit? I got the 38 Quart Bodega because I didn't think the 53 would fit.
Ford needs a better system to keep these running while the truck is parked.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powered cooler vs mini-fridge? IMG_2824

Last edited:

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning & 22 Mach-E
Did the 53 fit? I got the 38 Quart Bodega because I didn't think the 53 would fit.

IMG_2824.jpeg
Just starting looking at these refrigerators for the frunk. How happy are you with this brand and what’s the deal with the power (I haven’t tried anything yet in my frunk)

TheJackel2013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Just picked up a Koolatron SK50. It’s tall and just barely fits under the OE tri fold if I position it between the “ridges”. Works great so far. Draws very little wattage according to the pro power screen

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning & 22 Mach-E
Great info tofan, but I’m mostly interested in keeping groceries cold/frozen in the frunk during the summer when I’m out running errands or to keep sodas cold on a road trip.

Sponsored

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
I plan on camping a lot with my lightning, as well as potential tailgating. I've been looking at powered coolers, but I also realized that just buying a dorm size mini-fridge would be a whole lot cheaper and probably be just as easy. Has anyone else been considering this? It seems like they are front access vs top, and they only run on 120v instead of having an option for dc power (but that's not important with the lightning), but the cooler might have more insulation and use less power.

I think the top access might also mean the powered cooler is shorter, which would fit securely under a bed cover.. However with either I could probably just keep it in the garage plugged in ready to go whenever it was needed.
I camp across the country with my Bouge-RV cooler ( https://a.co/8TQLZhx ) plugged in the whole time, and it is so much nicer than an ice cooler, having to always be dumping water and changing ice. The model in the link is the one I have, but they have nicer newer ones out now, with freezer and refrigerator compartments. The only downside is that it's temperature sensor reads consistently about 4-5 degrees lower than it really is, so I set it at 29 F to keep it 34F. I have good ice coolers, but will probably never use them again other than short day trips, as the Bouge is so much nicer, and holds so much more for the size, since don't need room for ice.

One other tip, is that I found it uses less power from an AC to DC inverter, than straight from AC, prob due to it's AC inverter is less efficient than the nicer 3rd party one I have plugged into the bed..

Gotta love Generator Mode for the powered outlets while parked! BTW, so far my comments are based on my 21 Hybrid F150. My Lightning was just delivered yesterday, picking it up next week.

One thing, though: get an OBD scanner and use Forscan to turn off the stupid Ford horn honking it's brains out when you close the door while generator mode is on. Everyone else in the area will appreciate it!

Last edited:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

IMG_2824.jpeg
I don't have my truck yet, but I quickly snagged one while Amazon had a price goof (lowered price without removing the $80 coupon) when I saw how yours fit.

Thank you for sharing your picture.

alockbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
I don't have my truck yet, but I quickly snagged one while Amazon had a price goof (lowered price without removing the $80 coupon) when I saw how yours fit.

Thank you for sharing your picture.
Based on my experience with other coolers recently, I suspect this will not fit. There seems to be about 17.25”/17.3” of space max, if your cooler is wider than the step down on the roof of the frunk (these ones certainly are).
For example, a 55q standard cooler that was 17.5” would not standing up no matter where I attempted to position it under the door. The Frunk would come within an inch of closing then beep and open. Even pushing down I could feel the plastic flexing but it refused to close. I laid the cooler on its back (17.3” at its highest now, but tapering to 15.5”) and it barely closed. When I say barely, I mean it stopped, and then I heard the latches pull down and struggle a tiny bit to close.

Safest bet is something 16.5” and under if you want max width. Unfortunately, most bigger coolers are also taller.

I’m definitely considering the Bodega 38 but waiting see if by some miracle of design that 53 squeezes in around the roof! Wishing you luck!

Sponsored

alockbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Unfortunately it’s less than an 1” too tall for the frunk
That’s what I was thinking too. Having tried a 17.4” cooler that just barely couldn’t clear, it’s frustrating.

I’m very much considering the ICECO JP40 if it can fit. While it is 17.5”, it’s also pretty thin at 13.8”, is it just might clear the terraced roof of The frunk. Wish I could find one nearby to test!

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
One thing, though: get an OBD scanner and use Forscan to turn off the stupid Ford horn honking it's brains out when you close the door while generator mode is on. Everyone else in the area will appreciate it!
You can turn the honk off from the GUI on the Lightning, doesn't require Forscan.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I have two iceco freezer-fridges. They're also well insulated.
The both make ice to go into a cooler for drinks. Both have survived running off road in the back of a '21 F-150 for 25K+ miles.
They're not particularly expensive and they have a reputation for not quitting.
The cooler is just an insulated, sealed place to keep food so it doesn't warm or smell and isn't exposed to critters or pets. As we take out a drink from one of the iceco's, it's replaced by a drink from the cooler. There's enough space to keep all the frozen stuff frozen, all the cold stuff is on ice in the cooler that can keep ice for a week unless it's hot weather.
Space, weight, convenience all work out.
I wouldn't use a household fridge, but an RV fridge would be survive. Insulation and brand name quality of the compressor are the two things that matter (and a good seal on the door/lid.)

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Picked up the Bodega 53qt for $360 yesterday. Largest size I could find while appearing likely to fit under the tonneau. Seemed to be the best-priced for a decent volume as well.
Just glancing back through this thread - looks like this cooler is $339 right now if others are interested.

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
The original Engel expedition fridge/freezers are still the best in my opinion. I have one over 18 years old and it is still kicking. The compressor is Japanese oscillating with 1 moving part. Hardly ever fails. They are a bit expensive but they don't draw much power at all.
Sponsored