• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powered cooler vs mini-fridge?

Jif1025

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum Edition
Occupation
Criminal Lawyer
Iā€™ve seen a bunch of people express concerns about heat exchange if placed in the frunk- does anyone have any first hand experience with that? Is heat an issue for the fridge/freezers like the dometic if placed in frunk?

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
I have been researching Portable Refrigerator/Freezers for some time for my Lightning. The best are newer designed energy efficient compressor types. They are availabel in sizes from 35 - 75 Qts, $300 - $600 (and much more for the top of the line Dometics).
Each will have various exterior sizes, internal refrigerator/freezer sizes (and even some with removable partitions), prices, and energy draws (45-90 watts). Several have wheels and adjustible handles. Most can use 120/240v or 12v or solar or their own battery.

Best brands are Dometic (Expensive), Bodega and Bouge RV, and Costway (Budget).
I could not afford Dometic, reviews were not as good for Costway and Bodega, and 59 Qts was the best size for my use.

My pick is the BougeRV 12 Volt Car Refrigerator Dual Zone, Portable Freezer Fridge APP Control, 59 Quart (55L) Compressor Freezer Fridge ($519.99 at Amazon)($529.99 and 10% off with code at Bougerv.com and free shipping)

Bouge.PNG

My Reasons:

External Dimensions 28"L x 18.1"W x 22.5"H
Compartment (2) Dimensions 7.9"L x 12.2"W x 11.7"H and 10.6"L x 12.2"W x 18.6"H
Dual Zone Refrigeration - Either Freezer and Fridge or All Freezer/All Fridge
Portability at about 40 lbs. and adjustable handles, and comes with Two Removable Baskets
External and Internal Sizes (Can fit nicely either in the Frunk or Fold-Down Back Seat)
It has two compartments which you can control temp independently. It can be both a refrigerator and a freezer at the same time (fridge/fridge, fridge/freezer, freezer/freezer). You can cool drinks and chill meat, etc at the same time.
It has an App where you can control the temps, setting the mode, turn on/off this car refrigerator all from your phone, and instructions are also mounted on the exterior below the touch controls
Built In LED Lights
The Maximum Tilt Angle is about 30Ā°~45Ā° although after being moved you must let compressor gas settle before re-plugging in
Two Energy Modes - ECO(45W)/MAX(60W) cooling mode, LED lighting, 45dB low noise, USB for charging electronic equipment, chopping board for cutting food
If left plugged in it will use about 1 KW/Day
Two Year Warranty for the Compressor and all other accessories
This Model has been on the market for less than two years and is marketed to RV'ers
I can use this on long trips or to bring home groceries.

I welcome your comments.

Edit: I ordered this yesterday with delivery Friday. I will post a review in a couple of weeks after I have run it through the tests.

My final price was $505 after 10% off for giving them my email address and with free shipping. Both their website and Amazon charged sales tax so what I paid beat Amazon by about $45.
Did you end up getting this & Did you post a review of it? Thanks!

geraulx

First Name
Laurie Andersen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 2012
Occupation
Senior Mechanic
I've been extremely happy with my Bougerv 12v refrigerator. It has excellent and fast cooling, lower power consumption, and multiple charging methods, this portable fridge is a must-have for all your outdoor adventures.

Last edited:

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I just keep a simple Walmart off-the-shelf low-profile minifridge in the bed... fits right under the tri-fold tonno cover, right next to my microwave, coffee maker, and my toaster... it's a great go-to snack 'tail gate' when DC Fast Charging...

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Iā€™m getting $261 total. You might want to check out Amazon, it was just over $300 there when I looked.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powered cooler vs mini-fridge? IMG_6949

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
ya, thats a great price on that one at 35% off, but i wanted the one with wheels.
I look forward to seeing a picture of it in the frunk šŸ˜. I was impressed at how fast it got cold. One thing I feel Ford left out of the frunk and the rear power is a 12v plug.

I have a large Dometic (definitely not fitting in frunk), but the 35% sure makes it tempting to get another.

Sponsored

Protean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro
For those of you with a frunk fridge, how do you keep the frunk power on when the vehicle is off? I bought that BougeRV with the wheels. I envisioned the fridge still running when the vehicle was off, but since that doesn't seem to be the case, I'm considering returning it.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
For those of you with a frunk fridge, how do you keep the frunk power on when the vehicle is off? I bought that BougeRV with the wheels. I envisioned the fridge still running when the vehicle was off, but since that doesn't seem to be the case, I'm considering returning it.
You must keep the truck on. Donā€™t forget to disable the power-down timer.
There are rumors that Ford will make a software change to allow ProPower to run without requiring the truck to be on. ā€œSoonā€!

MacMike

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
My setup for Houston Texans tailgating. The Bodega fridge fits with the top closed. No problem leaving the truck running while inside the game.
Ford F-150 Lightning Powered cooler vs mini-fridge? IMG_0697
Ford F-150 Lightning Powered cooler vs mini-fridge? IMG_0694

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
So this might seem strange but I have an EcoFlow River 2 plugged into ProPower and the fridge plugged into EcoFlow. So when I turn truck off it runs on EcoFlow. Still kind of shocked thereā€™s no 12v outlet in frunk. Iā€™m still figuring out my best solution. It works for now.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So this might seem strange but I have an EcoFlow River 2 plugged into ProPower and the fridge plugged into EcoFlow. So when I turn truck off it runs on EcoFlow. Still kind of shocked thereā€™s no 12v outlet in frunk. Iā€™m still figuring out my best solution. It works for now.
Even the 12v powerpoint and USB's power down. We need Ford to delivery the SW update that will bring us the ability to use ProPower without the truck being on. And let's just hope they bring a decent interface with it. Maybe put some information on the screen or give some tell tale sign that it is on with power.
Sponsored