• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
After another thunderstorm that has blown through the Dallas area today (This has been an almost daily occurrence the last week or two). My neighborhood is without power. I know many people in the metroplex have been out for many days now, so I am not in as bad of shape as some of them. My solar install is waiting for permit approval which will include the Powerwall 3 for back up. It is nice that I can use the truck in the meantime!!! Power my Garage freezer and refrigerator as well as my kitchen refrigerator/freezer, hooked up my Internet and TV so I can watch the Mavericks game.
I love this truck!
Ford F-150 Lightning Powering critical loads with my Lightning > lightning IMG_0628

Ford F-150 Lightning Powering critical loads with my Lightning > lightning IMG_0625

Ford F-150 Lightning Powering critical loads with my Lightning > lightning IMG_0626
Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Great isnā€™t it?

Our remote cabin routinely has power outages during storms due to tall trees taking down overhead power lines. The power company usually restores power in less than 12 hours. looking at my burglar alarm history we lost power 9 times last year. July and August was the worst.

With the truck we power lights, refrigerator/freezer, additional small freezer, internet, Dish TV i recently bought an 8000 btu window AC unit for the bedroom that I can power with the truck to keep us comfortable during outages.

We hear portable generators running in the distance. Our silent truck power is awesome. With the window AC unit in our bedroom, we close windows and canā€™t hear other generators. We then can sleep in cool silent comfort.

Last edited:

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Great isnā€™t it?

Our remote cabin routinely has power outages during storms due to tall trees taking down overhead power lines. The power company usually restores power in less than 12 hours. looking at my burglar alarm history we lost power 9 times last year. July and August was the worst.

With the truck we power lights, refrigerator/freezer, additional small freezer, internet, Dish TV i recently bought an 8000 btu window AC unit for the bedroom that I can power with the truck to keep us comfortable during outages.

We hear portable generators running in the distance. Our silent truck power is awesome. With the window AC unit in our bedroom, we close windows and canā€™t hear other generators. We then can sleep in cool silent comfort.
Gosh, I just love thgt about this truck!

VTHokies

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER (Sept ā€˜23 build)
After another thunderstorm that has blown through the Dallas area today (This has been an almost daily occurrence the last week or two). My neighborhood is without power. I know many people in the metroplex have been out for many days now, so I am not in as bad of shape as some of them. My solar install is waiting for permit approval which will include the Powerwall 3 for back up. It is nice that I can use the truck in the meantime!!! Power my Garage freezer and refrigerator as well as my kitchen refrigerator/freezer, hooked up my Internet and TV so I can watch the Mavericks game.
I love this truck!
IMG_0628.jpeg

IMG_0625.jpeg

IMG_0626.jpeg
It is nice, Iā€™m in Carrollton and we lost power for 4 hours Tuesday morningā€¦. Powered the garage fridge, house fridge and the wife was able to have her coffee!

Ford F-150 Lightning Powering critical loads with my Lightning > lightning IMG_1357

OP
OP
Scorpio3d

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Power finally came back on last night about 10:30 PM!! So it was out for about 30 hours used about 10% of my battery more or lessā€¦
I was more worried about getting things powered up than checking where my SOC!

Sponsored

Lightningwaiter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Construction
I love this truck!
IMG_0628.jpeg

IMG_0625.jpeg

IMG_0626.jpeg
Looks familiar, a week after I received my lighting the power was out. I powered the coffee machine, fridge and instant hotwater heater. It was amazing. thank goodness I have a bunch of extension cords.

Iroc34a

First Name
Roc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Mechanic for American Airlines. GSE (ground equipment) 37 years. Worked on everything from Lawn mowers to Boeing 747's.
Yeah, just this ability alone is worth the price of admission. Only had the truck for a couple weeks. And Midwest storms are particularly frequent this spring. Plugged in the fridge, tv, internet, lamp and a fan. 4 hours later power back on. But really nice to not have to suffer any more.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
'Critcal' Loads:

TV
Ice Maker
Microwave
Air Conditioning(of course!)

etc...

yes, agreed.

we are spoiled.

But, we appreciate it : )

jlferg0509

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Malibu; 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
This is great to hear, I used the 30 amp outlet to supply power to my rv at times and have the house wired, just in case. I wish we could use the Pro Power without having to have to truck powered on...

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Why not use the 240v 30A outlet and a Generac 6853 or other neutral switching transfer switch?

See for example: (YouTube video)

A lot fewer wires.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Scorpio3d

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Why not use the 240v 30A outlet and a Generac 6853 or other neutral switching transfer switch?

See for example: (YouTube video)

A lot fewer wires.
True!
I am currently in the process(waiting on permits and HOA) of a solar installation to power the whole house with a Powerwall 3 and will hopefully someday in the future, be able to integrate the truck as a additional back up?? if not, I will use it the way I did this time but with any sun the Powerwall 3 (with the backup switch) works like a generator and can disconnect from the grid so Iā€™ll still be able to use solar even if the grid is down!

Reactions: chl

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I want solar here too eventually.

I tried calling Sunrun to get a solar quote, but they said they pulled out of Fairfax County, VA where I live. But they gave me no reason why they won't do a solar installation here.

I was interested in the HIS (Home Integration System) as well and asked about that even if they wouldn't install solar with it. They said they would have the group that does that call me. So far crickets. But I have read that Sunrun is not the most responsive company in some areas.

I could install the FCSP myself. But the warranty requires a licensed electrician installation, so I might call someone for the final hookup. I already mounted it on my garage wall where my old GE Watt Station was mounted, and ordered the #3 AWG hots and #6 AWG ground wire. I have a SR battery which has a on-board charger that can only charge at 48A max, so using a 60A breaker and scaling back the dial in the FCSP to 48A for now.

Even though right now I can only use 48A, I am installing it with #3 AWG for the future when I have an EV that can handle 80A.

I can wait on Sunrun HIS install since I am going to be using a manual transfer switch and the 240V 30A output in the bed if I need to run my house critical loads.

Once I have the transfer switch connected and checked out I will be selling my gasoline generator - that thing is pretty loud. I have only used it a few times, but they say this year may be an active hurricane season, so someone will want it if that materializes.

OP
OP
Scorpio3d

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Yes, I want solar here too eventually.

I tried calling Sunrun to get a solar quote, but they said they pulled out of Fairfax County, VA where I live. But they gave me no reason why they won't do a solar installation here.

I was interested in the HIS (Home Integration System) as well and asked about that even if they wouldn't install solar with it. They said they would have the group that does that call me. So far crickets. But I have read that Sunrun is not the most responsive company in some areas.

I could install the FCSP myself. But the warranty requires a licensed electrician installation, so I might call someone for the final hookup. I already mounted it on my garage wall where my old GE Watt Station was mounted, and ordered the #3 AWG hots and #6 AWG ground wire. I have a SR battery which has a on-board charger that can only charge at 48A max, so using a 60A breaker and scaling back the dial in the FCSP to 48A for now.

Even though right now I can only use 48A, I am installing it with #3 AWG for the future when I have an EV that can handle 80A.

I can wait on Sunrun HIS install since I am going to be using a manual transfer switch and the 240V 30A output in the bed if I need to run my house critical loads.

Once I have the transfer switch connected and checked out I will be selling my gasoline generator - that thing is pretty loud. I have only used it a few times, but they say this year may be an active hurricane season, so someone will want it if that materializes.
I looked at Sunrun a couple years ago because they had a deal with Costco so I had them come out to give me a quote. They were ridiculously expensive! I believe you can still purchase the HIS and have it installed by your own electrician as well. It seems a bit pricey in my opinion, and from the reviews, I have read about it. If you are serious about solar check out energysage it is a good resource for solar research. You can also fill out information on there and get quotes from local installers. I am mainly used it for research but I ended up finding a local installer that I really liked and that is who is doing my install. I got quotes from a couple of the installers on Energy Sage plus some others that I found on my own and felt the most comfortable with the one I chose.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I looked at Sunrun a couple years ago because they had a deal with Costco so I had them come out to give me a quote. They were ridiculously expensive! I believe you can still purchase the HIS and have it installed by your own electrician as well. It seems a bit pricey in my opinion, and from the reviews, I have read about it. If you are serious about solar check out energysage it is a good resource for solar research. You can also fill out information on there and get quotes from local installers. I am mainly used it for research but I ended up finding a local installer that I really liked and that is who is doing my install. I got quotes from a couple of the installers on Energy Sage plus some others that I found on my own and felt the most comfortable with the one I chose.
Yes I filled out their form, energysage, last week, but no contacts yet.

I also am a COSTCO member and they have a promotion going on, which is why I tried Sunrun first, plus it is who Ford partnered with.

I am going to have to do some leg work it seems.

I have been waiting until I replaced our roof which I just did in May, so now I am ready to spend some money.

I read about some panel mounting that did not penetrate the roof a while ago, have to look that one up again, a rail system mounted to the sides of the house I think.

This was another one I found: https://solarstack.com/

They have at least one installer in Virginia.

Virginia is not the eco-friendliest state. Our Governor nixed a Ford battery plant in 2022 claiming it would be a national security threat due to some technology coming from "Communist China," in 2023 he removed VA from a compact among states (The Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative), and now he says he's going to remove VA from the California clean car standards.

Like Will Rogers once said: "We have the best politicians money can buy!"

CyclopsThere

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
I also am a COSTCO member and they have a promotion going on, which is why I tried Sunrun first, plus it is who Ford partnered with.
At least over here, Ford is no longer a sunrun partner-- my dealership pushed qMerit and I'm glad they did after I read some of the headaches w/Sunrun installs
Sponsored