• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powering House through Transfer Switch

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
By code your neutral should only be bonded in the main panel.
Small clarification: it must be bonded at the service disconnect. In most cases, that’s the main panel, but not always.
Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
I, too, had a 5000w portable generator with a transfer switch installed when we built our house a few years back. I am familar with the neutral/ground bonding issue but my elementry understading of electricty leads me to ask: why couldn't an electrician install a simple SPDT switch specifically to switch the gounds? Seems like for those of us who already have a transfer switch it would be a very economical solution vs buying/installing a new transfer switch????. My lightning will be delivered (hopefully) in the next 6-8 weeks. My electrician is mulling this over but we're going to wait until the truck actually arrives to do anything.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I, too, had a 5000w portable generator with a transfer switch installed when we built our house a few years back. I am familar with the neutral/ground bonding issue but my elementry understading of electricty leads me to ask: why couldn't an electrician install a simple SPDT switch specifically to switch the gounds? Seems like for those of us who already have a transfer switch it would be a very economical solution vs buying/installing a new transfer switch????. My lightning will be delivered (hopefully) in the next 6-8 weeks. My electrician is mulling this over but we're going to wait until the truck actually arrives to do anything.
You need to switch the neutral, not the ”grounds.” The problem would be that if you don’t ALWAYS have the 2 switches in sync, you’d be operating without a neutral and the voltage which is supposed to be 120-0-120, can shift anywhere between 240-0-0 and 0-0-240 which starts letting the smoke out of 120V loads.

Purchasing and installing the correct transfer switch is the way to go.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
You need to switch the neutral, not the ”grounds.” The problem would be that if you don’t ALWAYS have the 2 switches in sync, you’d be operating without a neutral and the voltage which is supposed to be 120-0-120, can shift anywhere between 240-0-0 and 0-0-240 which starts letting the smoke out of 120V loads.

Purchasing and installing the correct transfer switch is the way to go.
Thanks for that.
Sponsored