• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Prep for cross-country trip with security in mind...

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150, '05 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
At 60 years old, I am selling my house in California and heading back East. I'll be loading up what I need to live on in the back of the truck, point it East and go. Since I'll be staying in hotels & AirBnB's for a few months, I am a bit concerned on the security of my truck. Now, I know that there is no way to stop someone from smashing a window and grabbing anything in the cab, or taking a pry bar to my tonneau cover to crack it open... but I don't want to make it too easy for them. (Although, there is the school of thought that says "take everything inside with you and leave the truck unlocked. Then the thieves don't break anything. That's what some people are doing in San Francisco now.)

Anyway, I was wondering what I could do to protect my truck and it's contents as much as possible.

Stuff I am wondering about...
  • I have the UnderCover Amor Flex tonneau cover, but to be honest, I feel like someone might be able to slide a slim jim or even a coathanger under the weather stripping and hook the release cable. Has anyone here had that happen to them?
  • Is stealing tailgates still a problem? Is there a way to secure it?
  • Would the skid plate from Talons really slow down a catalytic converter thief enough that he'd move on?
If YOU were making this trek... what else would you consider?
(Please... no "My truck is protected by Smith & Wesson" comments. Transporting weapons across state lines comes with a whole set of problems.)

Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0 Lariat SCREW Space White
I really don't have a good advise to you other than congratulate you on leaving CA and wish you good luck! I just hope you don't end up in the Northeast which is a mirror of CA, only on another shoreline :)

I will move my daughter to school to CA in the summer :censored:, can't say I look forward to the next 4 years and the 8 days drive back and forth.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
OP
OP
JediNut

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150, '05 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
I really don't have a good advise to you other than congratulate you on leaving CA and wish you good luck! I just hope you don't end up in the Northeast which is a mirror of CA, only on another shoreline :)

I will move my daughter to school to CA in the summer :censored:, can't say I look forward to the next 4 years and the 8 days drive back and forth.
Thanks... I'm headed back to the Southeast... TN, GA, SC or FL.

As for your daughter and the 8-day roundtrip drive to CA... (1) when she's in the truck with you... it's fantastic bonding time (we used to sing songs from the 80's at the top of our lungs!), and (2) it will be the quickest 4 years of your life! (Except when you have to fill out the damn FAFSA... then it seems like an ETERNITY!)

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0 Lariat SCREW Space White
Thanks... I'm headed back to the Southeast... TN, GA, SC or FL.

As for your daughter and the 8-day roundtrip drive to CA... (1) when she's in the truck with you... it's fantastic bonding time (we used to sing songs from the 80's at the top of our lungs!), and (2) it will be the quickest 4 years of your life! (Except when you have to fill out the damn FAFSA... then it seems like an ETERNITY!)

Glad to hear where you're heading, we left the commie state of MA last summer and we are in SC now and we do NOT look back.

It will be 2 cars :) - me towing her stuff with my truck and her driving her car. She is going to grad school so no FAFSA for me anymore ?

Sponsored

bigjim22

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
We had a welder create a custom cage over our cat converter and it has seemed to deter the thieves after we had one cut off last fall. They are looking for a quick cut and run so anything you can do to slow them down helps. Good luck! Unfortunately it’s quite common. Personally, I’d rather go northeast where there are more brain cells but if you’re familiar with those states you already know what kind of people you’ll be dealing with in the south. Safe travels!

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
If someone wants to break into the truck, they will. Hide items from view, and make sure you have the appropriate contents coverage under your insurance policy.

When staying at hotels spring for the nicer ones and park your truck front and center.

Happy travels, you should not have a problem.

Battalion3419

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
Occupation
Firefighter

I love California...😄

Battalion3419

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
Occupation
Firefighter
It would be best if you left your snide comments of negativity off this forum...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Yes, let's keep this thread on a positive note, BTW, I moved the thread to General Automotive & Other Vehicles NODE because the OP is driving a 21 F150 (ICE), though his questions about vehicle security are important to everyone, we soon to be Lightning owners have advantages with the FRUNK.

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Maybe buy or rent an enclosed trailer? Secured to the truck of course.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Put your vaulable junk in the frunk!

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
At 60 years old, I am selling my house in California and heading back East. I'll be loading up what I need to live on in the back of the truck, point it East and go. Since I'll be staying in hotels & AirBnB's for a few months, I am a bit concerned on the security of my truck. Now, I know that there is no way to stop someone from smashing a window and grabbing anything in the cab, or taking a pry bar to my tonneau cover to crack it open... but I don't want to make it too easy for them. (Although, there is the school of thought that says "take everything inside with you and leave the truck unlocked. Then the thieves don't break anything. That's what some people are doing in San Francisco now.)

Anyway, I was wondering what I could do to protect my truck and it's contents as much as possible.

Stuff I am wondering about...
  • I have the UnderCover Amor Flex tonneau cover, but to be honest, I feel like someone might be able to slide a slim jim or even a coathanger under the weather stripping and hook the release cable. Has anyone here had that happen to them?
  • Is stealing tailgates still a problem? Is there a way to secure it?
  • Would the skid plate from Talons really slow down a catalytic converter thief enough that he'd move on?
If YOU were making this trek... what else would you consider?
(Please... no "My truck is protected by Smith & Wesson" comments. Transporting weapons across state lines comes with a whole set of problems.)

Thanks in advance!!!
I think the best advice might be to just stop in small towns along the way where these types of criminal activities are less common. It won't make it 100% proof, but a much better chance than stopping in larger towns or cities.

GarryJ

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Java developer
Glad to hear where you're heading, we left the commie state of MA last summer and we are in SC now and we do NOT look back. I even wrote some Caltech internship essays while trying to understand why so many people are fleeing California top article In time, I went to University in Massachusetts and went there, but I'm glad that my daughter will study in California, although many people do not think that this is a good option.

It will be 2 cars :) - me towing her stuff with my truck and her driving her car. She is going to grad school so no FAFSA for me anymore ?
Wow! Postgraduate study is a serious achievement, congratulations! There are good universities in California and it's a great choice for a graduate student, so it looks great. A few years ago I refused to enter graduate school, now I think that it was not the right choice (
Sponsored

Last edited: