• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pushed to the limits

Nomoregas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
well as I have said for long time with those with range anxiety I have taken the approach to just giver when you worried the most! Today I did just that and learned to respect the truck a little more than I had. I was pushing it to the max with flow traffic hwy speed all the way home and then she ran out dead middle of intersection, would not move. I managed to roll back out of intersection and shut off 10 min, I was 2 km from home now, after 10 min it actually would move again and I just made it the last 2 km. I know where the end is now!

Ford F-150 Lightning Pushed to the limits IMG_9736.PNG
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I learned this, early on, too... as I was approaching my son's home, with only a tiny fraction of 'power' left in the pack... he has a fairly STEEP incline the last 100 yards up to his abode... so, expecting that I might run 'out' on that last way up, I STEPPED HARD on the pedal to 'give it all she had'....

NO

the truck didn't like that

the truck came to a complete STOP, in the middle of the road, 1/4 way 'up' the incline...

uh oh! oh no... uh,,,,, what do I do know, after dark, at 9pm at night? crazy times...

I only really had one option in this rural neighborhood: put it in neutral and let the truck 'slide' back down the hill to a turn-around spot, and then leave it on the side of the road until I could figure out what to do...

as I let the truck slide back, and come to a stop at the bottom, I went to put it in REVERSE to move it a little more 'back' off the road... WHAT?!!! The POWER was now THERE, for Reverse!
I immediately recognized that the truck still had 'some' power, and I was not going to let that go unused... so, I decided INSTANTLY to keep it in Reverse and REVERSE ALL THE WAY BACK UP THE HILL to my son's place... it WORKED! Man! That was a revelation.

After some thought, I came to a realization: The truck is designed to minimize your ability to run the battery pack 'out of power' suddenly, and takes measures to prevent that: it stopped my truck when I STOMPED on the pedal coming up the hill - it did that to prevent me from running the battery pack to Zero, REAL zero... it was a 'precautionary' tale. It was an ALERT. It was a 'hey, DUMMY!, stop using all my power!' moment.
After coming off the pedal, and maybe even coming to a complete stop, I may have been able to 'creep' up the hill, if I had tried. I think so.

The truck is basically helping to prevent the driver from serious concern, giving the ability to then realize that 'slow' is the way to go.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Thank you, this is very important information.

Interestingly this is exactly how the electric carts that I use to go up and down my very steep driveway work. Those have lead acid batteries, but the last thing you want to do when the battery is low and it is struggling is to stomp it. (Lead acid) batteries are rated relative to the amount that they can discharge over a period of time, and you will see that they produce less total amps over one hour than 20 hours.

I also find it interesting that letting the battery rest has the same effect as lead acid batteries. I have often been able to move a cart that completely died a little bit after letting it sit. So if you ever do run out of range, letting it sit for a bit might get you at least 2km it sounds like!

Sponsored