• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Question on Initial Range

delynn10

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT / 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Food Manufacturing
Hi All,

Picked up an XLT last night with an extended battery. It was fully charged at 309, I drove 95 miles (mostly highway) home and lost almost 200 miles in range.

I thought I read somewhere a while back about range not always being accurate initially, but couldn't find the thread.

I had a little bit of fun with the truck..., but spent the vast majority of the trip between 70 and 75 mph.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Range is predicted based on driving history. That 309 was based on the previous drivers. Or, if a factory reset was done prior to delivery, it was based off EPA, and temps.

Then you drove it, in a spirited manner. The truck would have displayed the miles per kilowatt hour you got. Doing some very rough math, 95 + 110 = 205 / 131 = 1.6. Sounds right.

Reset your EV driving history, then drive the truck. The more you drive, the more it will be closer to reality. Put a destination in the nav, and it will then adjust based on that.

At 70mph, figure on maybe 1.8 to 1.9.

Mustang11s

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MachEauto awd ER XLT Lightning ER
Occupation
Ford Senior Master Tech
Also check your climate control settings. If you had e-heat turned on, range is greatly reduced.

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
Picked up my ER Lariat 2 days ago. Same basic story, but I was doing more like 65. Occ 70 (I try not to drive UNDER the posted speed limit -- in a 65, I do 65, but we have some stretches here where its posted speed is 70 or 75, and 65 in there makes you worried about being rear-ended)

Tires do break in and speed up some (in terms of EV rolling performance). I've seen that with my other EVs at least. And I am hoping there's a bit more to be gained as the whole thing breaks in, though I have no concrete idea just what else other than the tires would get more efficient......

For a new EV driver, remember also that "spirited acceleration" has almost no penalty. In contrast to an ICE. BUT, aggressive braking that causes the friction brakes to apply can really damage your regen.

OK to jack rabbit start, but keep top speeds down and "coast" to the stops.

I need to understand Fords heating system better too -- surely its a heat pump? Please? When Nissan went to the heat pump, it vastly improved the range of the Leaf in the winter. The hit for having heat and defrost is negligible now. In my 2012 Leaf, the head was all resistive (glowing heat element) and my range in Winter plummeted.......

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Picked up my ER Lariat 2 days ago. Same basic story, but I was doing more like 65. Occ 70 (I try not to drive UNDER the posted speed limit -- in a 65, I do 65, but we have some stretches here where its posted speed is 70 or 75, and 65 in there makes you worried about being rear-ended)

Tires do break in and speed up some (in terms of EV rolling performance). I've seen that with my other EVs at least. And I am hoping there's a bit more to be gained as the whole thing breaks in, though I have no concrete idea just what else other than the tires would get more efficient......

For a new EV driver, remember also that "spirited acceleration" has almost no penalty. In contrast to an ICE. BUT, aggressive braking that causes the friction brakes to apply can really damage your regen.

OK to jack rabbit start, but keep top speeds down and "coast" to the stops.

I need to understand Fords heating system better too -- surely its a heat pump? Please? When Nissan went to the heat pump, it vastly improved the range of the Leaf in the winter. The hit for having heat and defrost is negligible now. In my 2012 Leaf, the head was all resistive (glowing heat element) and my range in Winter plummeted.......
Everything out there now is resistive heat, but the impact is less than it was on the Leaf do to the Lightning's much bigger battery. Some 24 trims are getting heat pumps.

Sponsored

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
Everything out there now is resistive heat, but the impact is less than it was on the Leaf do to the Lightning's much bigger battery. Some 24 trims are getting heat pumps.
Wow. Somehow I convinced my brother to buy a vehicle with old technology. My 2016 Leaf has a heat pump. My 2022 RAV4 has a heat pump. No going back now for sure.

Resistive heating is crap IMO. Burned, not literally, by a 2012 Leaf etc.

Dang, I cannot believe I was ignorant of this. HUGE design error. It renders an electric truck so much less useful in cool weather locations....

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Wow. Somehow I convinced my brother to buy a vehicle with old technology. My 2016 Leaf has a heat pump. My 2022 RAV4 has a heat pump. No going back now for sure.

Dang, I cannot believe I was ignorant of this. HUGE design error. It renders an electric truck so much less useful in cool weather locations....
Eh, slightly less useful in cool weather locations, but no real impact once it gets cold.

As an example, the Mach-e with a resistance heater has less range loss below freezing than the model Y with the heat pump does.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Not true. Facts vs opinions.

You should read the Consumer Reports story on this. FYI, CR is available online for free via most public library websites. https://www.consumerreports.org/car...e-affects-electric-vehicle-range-a4873569949/

In short, they found that a Model Y lost 32.1% of summer range while the Mach-E, without a heat pump, lost 31.6%. And that Tesla's EPA range was fiction. And that a Model Y long range got the same range as the Mach-E.

All fact.

The fact that Ford is incorporating a heat pump in the Lightning next year is interesting, perhaps the energy needed to warm the massive battery pack is where they save some efficiency.

Ford F-150 Lightning Question on Initial Range Screenshot_20231029_080254_Chrome

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Stuck this thread and leaving it in General Topics, many new EV drivers will share their cold weather stories here as they experience a first winter with a F150 Lightning.
Sponsored