• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Looks awesome, Joe! Thanks for sharing. I will do something similar when I receive my Lightning this Spring. I know this has been answered before, but what are your experiences with range loss? From what I've seen, the loss is justified by the significant aesthetic gains.
Sponsored

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
Looks awesome, Joe! Thanks for sharing. I will do something similar when I receive my Lightning this Spring. I know this has been answered before, but what are your experiences with range loss? From what I've seen, the loss is justified by the significant aesthetic gains.
I never ran the original charge down so if you believe the estimate of 320 miles on stock tires then I would guess the range loss is somewhere around 30-40 miles. The estimated range in the truck has been all over the place since I put on the new wheels and tires honestly I need to drive a few full charges before that number becomes more dependable.

but seems to be sitting around 275 miles on a full charge after about 100 miles on the new setup. Assuming it will change/update? I have no idea.

And I don’t care. Haha. Love it

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Haha. I don't blame you! ~275 is still great for a truck of this size, and is plenty for daily driving and road trips. A 30-40 mile range hit sounds about right to me. I agree it's absolutely worth the range sacrifice.

nash_diego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Model 3, Pacifica Hybrid
@joesrepsol did you have to recalibrate the speedo at all? Seriously. This is the best looking setup I've seen so far. I wasn't going to do any of this but dang you make it tempting.

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
Speedo Update:
Looks like the speedo is definitely off after all! Roughly 1.8 - 2mph off (reads slower than actual). This is certainly throwing off the range calculations. Just put in a few questions to some shops of best way to fix (inline module vs flashing/forscan). Waiting on opinions/responses.

Would be great to get this fixed, then the compute should be estimating more accurately. More to come!!!!

Sponsored
First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e GTP
Just dropped off to the shop this am... can't wait to upload pics/info later today!

Updated with installed pics:

e4b6f3c1-3713-4340-a86b-27469a841bfd-jpeg.jpg

a9d1eb2b-3b84-405e-bede-678e9364fd05-jpeg.jpg

bf68c972-b5c2-4068-b468-ebb3dac25c97-jpeg.jpg

ba6bba4b-5219-479f-a972-d7de1d28a256-jpeg.jpg

4034261e-7dc4-44e9-9878-2e0669aa3814-jpeg.jpg
I came across your previous post where you were planning on getting 22's. What made you go with the 20's vs 22's? I recall you were OK with cutting crash bars to get the 22's to fit. BTW, looks great on the 20" set up you went with.

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
I came across your previous post where you were planning on getting 22's. What made you go with the 20's vs 22's? I recall you were OK with cutting crash bars to get the 22's to fit. BTW, looks great on the 20" set up you went with.
Every local tire shop I talked to said it would rub like mad with that offset and wheel width. 3 shops said they would not even order them knowing I would be unhappy with it and want a return. In the end I’m super glad I didn’t to it. Those 10” wides and higher offset would have been a rubbing disaster (even with the crash bars removed). The cab itself would have been an issue on the 2” level.

Also I wasn’t happy with all the rough country suspension reviews. So holding out for the fox/BDS set. So 20s it was!!!! Happy with it.

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e GTP
Every local tire shop I talked to said it would rub like mad with that offset and wheel width. 3 shops said they would not even order them knowing I would be unhappy with it and want a return. In the end I’m super glad I didn’t to it. Those 10” wides and higher offset would have been a rubbing disaster (even with the crash bars removed). The cab itself would have been an issue on the 2” level.

Also I wasn’t happy with all the rough country suspension reviews. So holding out for the fox/BDS set. So 20s it was!!!! Happy with it.
Thanks for sharing. Your set up is one of my favorites so far!

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
only thing I’ve noticed is when I punch it (100%) the truck jumps a little left and right suddenly. Like a front wheel drive car would. Maybe it’s peeling out/slipping and this is normal, just something I noticed.
I noticed this several months ago when I took advantage of a test drive while waiting for my truck to come in. To me it feels like torque steer almost like the front and rear motors are tugging in opposite directions. It's a strange feeling because in 2WD you'd have power on the same axle whereas with AWD you've have power distributed across both axles and all four wheels. But this feeling is like if you imagined you grabbed the front left tire with one hand and the rear right tire with another hand and just kinda wiggled the truck down the road in a straightish line.

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
I never ran the original charge down so if you believe the estimate of 320 miles on stock tires then I would guess the range loss is somewhere around 30-40 miles. The estimated range in the truck has been all over the place since I put on the new wheels and tires honestly I need to drive a few full charges before that number becomes more dependable.

but seems to be sitting around 275 miles on a full charge after about 100 miles on the new setup. Assuming it will change/update? I have no idea.

And I don’t care. Haha. Love it
10% loss is inline with what others have observed with similar set up.

Sponsored
OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
10% loss is inline with what others have observed with similar set up.
I believe it is much much higher in loss. At a minimum it is 20%. Larger diameter, heavier, wider and more rolling resistance. I’m doing GPS distance trips on iPhone and comparing to what the truck thinks it did etx. Mostly watching the charge %.

even with the speedo error, it’s 20% loss (just being honest). If I could get 260 driving like an old man I would be amazed. If driving on freeway on flat terrain, I’m pretty sure it will not make 240 at 70mph.

The truth hurts sometimes. But I still don’t care, enjoying the crap out of it and get compliments like crazy. If you’re the kind of person that is freaking out about range, then don’t modify your truck. Or get a gas F150 and drive the way you’ve always been driving (again just being honest). Maybe a lighter setup would do better. Or 33s instead of 34s. So many variables.

PaulB510

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER; 2012 Camaro SS
I believe it is much much higher in loss. At a minimum it is 20%. Larger diameter, heavier, wider and more rolling resistance. I’m doing GPS distance trips on iPhone and comparing to what the truck thinks it did etx. Mostly watching the charge %.

even with the speedo error, it’s 20% loss (just being honest). If I could get 260 driving like an old man I would be amazed. If driving on freeway on flat terrain, I’m pretty sure it will not make 240 at 70mph.

The truth hurts sometimes. But I still don’t care, enjoying the crap out of it and get compliments like crazy. If you’re the kind of person that is freaking out about range, then don’t modify your truck. Or get a gas F150 and drive the way you’ve always been driving (again just being honest). Maybe a lighter setup would do better. Or 33s instead of 34s. So many variables.
Thinking about getting a similar setup but with a +20mm offset. Were you able to figure out how to recalibrate the speedometer?

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
I got the rough country speedo calibration tool. Programmed. But still haven’t installed. Trying to understand how to take apart the panels without breaking anything to install behind the cluster.

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
Building up the nerve to just pull harder on some of these dash panel pieces. If/when I figure it out, I'll try to document for the next person. Hoping to get some more time tonight for round two try. Wish me luck!

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning
Building up the nerve to just pull harder on some of these dash panel pieces. If/when I figure it out, I'll try to document for the next person. Hoping to get some more time tonight for round two try. Wish me luck!
Don't you just plug into the OBD2 port above your left foot area?
Sponsored