• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rear motor rattling with red fluid leaking

FrunkMonk-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat, Mach-e GT
Curiously, with the failures we've seen reported here so far, seems like the truck can go quite a ways after this happens and all the fluid leaks out. But, then again, if it breaks but doesn't rattle (2 of the 3 reported here seem to have been silent) you could go quite a ways before noticing...
When it happened to me it wasn’t silent. I even felt it. In my opinion, the only reason the truck keeps going in these situations is because there’s another working motor.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dave70

Dave70

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Update today from service, Ford is shipping out a new rear motor assembly and related parts, and the ETA is this Friday the 24th or next Tuesday the 28th due to the holiday. If a new motor gets delivered this quickly, I'll be happy with that.

OP
OP
Dave70

Dave70

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Just got my truck back last night - six weeks to the day. It’s sounds like you’ll beat that by several weeks. 👍
That's great news! I'm hoping sometime next week for me. We'll see if the new motor gets delivered on time.

FrunkMonk-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat, Mach-e GT
That's great news! I'm hoping sometime next week for me. We'll see if the new motor gets delivered on time.
Do you have the max tow package? I’m wondering if that took longer on mine.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
The EDM (Electric Drive Motor) is the same for max-tow / no-max-tow.

The equipment involved is up front midship near the former transmission well of the ICE version of F150's.

Max-tow involves an extra AC compressor, and diverter valves to interface with the PTC / chiller glycol loops.

oby3000

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning lariat 2023
Occupation
Commercial driver
Good afternoon. Would you please send over a private message with your VIN and dealer info so I can look into this rattle and leak concern?
Good afternoon. Would you please send over a private message
Have had my XLT ER since October 2023 when I took delivery after ordering it. Have 6,714 miles on it.

Today I experienced a rattling sound in the rear motor, although no warning lights came on and the truck continued to drive and stop normally. I looked under the truck at the rear motor and saw red fluid leaking out of the rear motor. I was able to drive it and drop it off at my local dealership only a couple of miles away from me. It's Sunday, so I'm hoping to get an update from them when service opens tomorrow.

20240512_154500.jpg
Ford F-150 Lightning Rear motor rattling with red fluid leaking IMG_3810

OP
OP
Dave70

Dave70

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Sorry to see this happened to yours too. When was your truck built?

Wondering if they had some bad parts in a certain run of motors. Hopefully they can get a new motor out to your dealer fairly quickly.

OP
OP
Dave70

Dave70

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Tuesday the 28th came and went with no motor delivery to the dealership by Ford. Dealer service said Ford is saying they didn't have one to ship, and changed the order status to backordered, with no delivery estimate. I had a feeling their delivery estimate of Tuesday wasn't happening. The wait continues.... I'm more scratching my head over Ford not having spare parts/motors available for these trucks in their 3rd production year already.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Wouldn't it be nice if they diverted parts for scheduled production to repair supply distribution!!!!

I'm certain the MoCo & the dealers won't miss a few units that they won't be able to sell anytime soon.

OP
OP
Dave70

Dave70

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Update. A new motor arrived at the dealer on Tuesday June 4th, they put in the new motor Wednesday, and I will be picking up the truck today. I had been looking into the buyback if this had gone on longer past the 30 days, but will be nice to have it back 3.5 weeks in.
Sponsored