• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Downgrading the Charge Station Pro amperage

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
According to the Installation Specs on the Ford Charge Station Pro, the charge rate can be decreased to work with existing circuit breaker panels via hardware settings. Has anyone learned what amperage it can be downgrade to? I have enough room to add a 70-amp breaker to my panel, so I’d like to be able to charge at 56 amps. I know I could add a 60-amp breaker and get 48 amps and that 48 amps would probably be supported. But what about 56 amps? My thinking is that since 4 AWG wire is recommended for both 60-amps and 70-amps breakers, I like the additional 8 amps charging capability.

https://www.globalowneraem.ford.com...us/documents/Lightning-FCSP-Install-Specs.pdf
Sponsored

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Platinum, ‘21 Aviator, ‘23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
I thought it was 20-80 amp capable.

MacMike

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
According to the Installation Specs on the Ford Charge Station Pro, the charge rate can be decreased to work with existing circuit breaker panels via hardware settings. Has anyone learned what amperage it can be downgrade to? I have enough room to add a 70-amp breaker to my panel, so I’d like to be able to charge at 56 amps. I know I could add a 60-amp breaker and get 48 amps and that 48 amps would probably be supported. But what about 56 amps? My thinking is that since 4 AWG wire is recommended for both 60-amps and 70-amps breakers, I like the additional 8 amps charging capability.

https://www.globalowneraem.ford.com...us/documents/Lightning-FCSP-Install-Specs.pdf
Your answer at 5:50 mark of video.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
can you find a 70 amp breaker?
I ask because I’m limited to 50, 60 and 100 amp breakers available from HD or Lowes locally.

nevermind. Seek and you shall find.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomwilli2025

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
can you find a 70 amp breaker?
I ask because I’m limited to 50, 60 and 100 amp breakers available from HD or Lowes locally.

nevermind. Seek and you shall find.
Well, now I'm looking for a 70 amp "Power Disconnect". I can't seem to find that item.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
Well, now I'm looking for a 70 amp "Power Disconnect". I can't seem to find that item.
Are you adding up the breakers in the box to come up that you only have room for a 70? That's not how it works. The sum of breakers can be greater than the total box capacity.

OP
OP
Tomwilli2025

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
What was the answer at the 5 min mark?
at 6 minutes 40 seconds. Only that is adjustable down to 20 amps. But that could mean 16, 24, 36, 48, and 80 amp circuit (Only 20% of the breaker)

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
What was the answer at the 5 min mark?

Tom says 20A to 80A in the video but not the increments. I'm pretty certain I heard someone say that it's in 10A increments but I'm not sure where I heard that. It was just in the last few days.

OP
OP
Tomwilli2025

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Are you adding up the breakers in the box to come up that you only have room for a 70? That's not how it works. The sum of breakers can be greater than the total box capacity.
No, I have a main and a subpanel. On my main panel I have a 40 and a 30 amp breaker that are no longer needed. So I am just assuming that I could at least decommission those two breakers and install a 70 amp in place of the 40 amp. I will have an electrician come and review and make a recommendation. At this point I am only putting together a budget and parts list. Also need to pull about 115 ft of wire so the cost will be substantial more if I go larger than 4 gauge. Since my garage is on the other side of the house from the main panel, it's my understanding I need a power disconnect in the garage Thanks and I'm open to any recommendations.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomwilli2025

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
No, I have a main and a subpanel. On my main panel I have a 40 and a 30 amp breaker that are no longer needed. So I am just assuming that I could at least decommission those two breakers and install a 70 amp in place of the 40 amp. I will have an electrician come and review and make a recommendation. At this point I am only putting together a budget and parts list. Also need to pull about 115 ft of wire so the cost will be substantial more if I go larger than 4 gauge. Since my garage is on the other side of the house from the main panel, it's my understanding I need a power disconnect in the garage Thanks and I'm open to any recommendations.
. Breakers 5/7 and 6/8 are no longer needed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Downgrading the Charge Station Pro amperage PXL_20210821_123644582

Ford F-150 Lightning Downgrading the Charge Station Pro amperage PXL_20210821_123656425

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
The power disconnect in the garage can be another subpanel with a breaker. A small subpanel is only about $23 and breakers are only about $15 so you can get by pretty inexpensively. Also give you the option to add a NEMA 14-50 outlet as well by adding more breakers in the box

Here is what I did in my garage (only 25' from my main panel so it wasn't required). This allowed me to have a 60 amp breaker for the ChargePoint EVSE and a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the event the EVSE stopped working.
Ford F-150 Lightning Downgrading the Charge Station Pro amperage 1651705022693

Ford F-150 Lightning Downgrading the Charge Station Pro amperage 1651705053522

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
Ignoring the cost of Wire, I‘d go 100 amp to the garage with a sub panel there. From the sub you could run another 100 to the charger, or a 60.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I still get the feeling that most people won't need more than a 40A breaker EVSE for typical daily use. The 120VAC EVSE is unlikely to supply but a few users that maybe drive less than 35 miles a day I'd think. I have no intention of going too high on the charge rate unless I get some super time of use rate.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Existing unused breaker sizes mean nothing. You electrician should be able to do an NEC load calculation and determine your remaining capacity. I’d bet you can utilize the full capacity of the FCSP.
Sponsored