• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Downgrading the Charge Station Pro amperage

OP
OP
Tomwilli2025

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
Existing unused breaker sizes mean nothing. You electrician should be able to do an NEC load calculation and determine your remaining capacity. I’d bet you can utilize the full capacity of the FCSP.
Understood. I plan on having my electrician do a load calculation. I'm just working on a parts list for budgeting at this point. Electrical components have really increased in cost so higher amperage circuits increase the cost substantially. I was thinking that a 70-amp circuit may be most practical in my case because of wire size for 60-amp is the same 70-amp but I cant find a 70-amp disconnect so I would need to buy a 100-amp sub-panel and put a 70-amp breaker in it. If my run for the main panel to the garage wasn't 115ft it would be so bad. 2 AWG wire for a 100-amp circuit is pretty spendy.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Understood. I plan on having my electrician do a load calculation. I'm just working on a parts list for budgeting at this point. Electrical components have really increased in cost so higher amperage circuits increase the cost substantially. I was thinking that a 70-amp circuit may be most practical in my case because of wire size for 60-amp is the same 70-amp but I cant find a 70-amp disconnect so I would need to buy a 100-amp sub-panel and put a 70-amp breaker in it. If my run for the main panel to the garage wasn't 115ft it would be so bad. 2 AWG wire for a 100-amp circuit is pretty spendy.
Your electrician will probably recommend aluminum wire for this. It’s much less expensive and in spite of many still believe, is just as safe as copper, especially in these larger sizes. In my area, #2 copper is $1.92 while #1 aluminum is $1.19.

OP
OP
Tomwilli2025

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Your electrician will probably recommend aluminum wire for this. It’s much less expensive and in spite of many still believe, is just as safe as copper, especially in these larger sizes. In my area, #2 copper is $1.92 while #1 aluminum is $1.19.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will discuss with my electrician.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Aluminum, properly installed, is safe. Mix and match and you’ll be buying trouble.
If listed connectors are used, it’s not a problem. A transition from copper to aluminum is common when connecting to devices that only allow copper.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
How many miles do you think you will drive each day?

OP
OP
Tomwilli2025

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
I don't drive more then 75 miles a day but I get called out on road trips with a days notice. Weekends are different, trip to farm and lake which are both 200 miles round trip. I'm sure a 60-amp circuit would be fine most of the time but since I have to pull that circuit I'm thinking why not go large. I realize going big cost money.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
If listed connectors are used, it’s not a problem. A transition from copper to aluminum is common when connecting to devices that only allow copper.
Correct. Use the connectors designed to transition from onto the other with non corrosive dielectric.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
I went with aluminum - in my case it saved me over $300(just wire material) because my run is long.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Hope this gets updated to show you how long it will take to charge at various levels. https://evcompare.io/charging-calculator/
I assume you can use e-tron since it is almost exactly the same.

75 miles might be 24Kwh to maybe 50 in harsh conditions.

At 24 it's simple to recover under 24A in a few hours.

200 mile trips will have to plan on DC or destination charging.
Sponsored

Last edited: