• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Secure Charging at Home

jrp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
Hi,
I just recently got my new Lghtning XLT. I don’t have a garage, so I park my car and new Lightning outside (I have a parking area on my lot). I have a 50 amp outlet near the vehicle (also outside in a weather proof box). To my surprise, I learned that the charging cord does not lock to the charge port when plugged in and when the vehicle doors are locked. I also own a Tesla and the cord can not be removed when connected if the car is locked.

This seems like a major oversight, since these charging cords are $500. If it can’t be secured, it becomes an easy and valuable target for theft. As a result, I don’t feel comfortable leaving my truck charging overnight (as I routinely do with my Tesla). Does anyone know of a way to secure the charge cord when the vehicle is locked? I’m hoping I’m simply missing something that is easy to do, but not obvious in the manual.

Aside from this, I really love the truck, but I imagine I’m not the first to have this concern. Thanks.
Sponsored

ekaddo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning,VolvoXC90T6, BMW1250RT
Occupation
Consultant
Good question, I charge my truck in driveway, by passing cord under garage door, I always think about pranksters unplugging overnight. The manual does not mention locking, that I have noticed. Just stopping by pressing unlock:
Ford F-150 Lightning Secure Charging at Home 1684255875276

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
There is no way to lock the Ford Mobile Charger.

One of the Mach-E owners puts it in his frunk, and closes it on the first click.

Also keep in mind that it's a MOBILE CHARGER. If you're going to use it daily, you'll probably find you need to buy something else.

None will lock to the vehicle. Some chargers have the ability to put a padlock through a hole in the handle. But - anyone with a pair of channel locks can break that off.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Back in my early days when I did not have a garage to charge in, I would use a Heavy Duty cord protector and run it under one of the tires. https://a.co/d/2wBOL7M
Redneck Engineering at its finest!
Seriously…. a simple, effective solution.

Sponsored

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
Buy yourself a cheap Blink security camera with two way audio and aim it at your truck, though I do like the redneck option as well :)

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I thought about running the actual charge handle part around the front driver side tire, and then looping the cord through a long pad lock, that way the only part they could steal would be the 120 or 240 volt adapter plug. That is... unless they brought a jack.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Some chargers have a lockout hole on the charging handle, clipper creek for example.

Ford F-150 Lightning Secure Charging at Home 1684282514042

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 21 Corvette Convertible
My Kona would lock any charger if the doors were locked. Just seems logical.

Major Dawg

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Senior Wireless QA Engineer
I have been using my old Juicebox 40 Pro I installed myself three years ago to charge my truck until I can get my charge station pro installed. It is an old unit but works fine for every couple of days to top off. It connects to NEMA plug connecting to a 40A circuit and delivers 32A/ 9.6W. it will be available for sale in the middle of June 2023 once my charge station Pro is installed.

Sponsored
OP
OP

jrp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
Back in my early days when I did not have a garage to charge in, I would use a Heavy Duty cord protector and run it under one of the tires. https://a.co/d/2wBOL7M
Ha! Clever solution to a clear design flaw. It’s amazing Ford didn’t address this when the vehicle was in design. You’d think they would have seen what Tesla and other had already done for supporting charging at home.

Thank everyone for confirming the issue and for the work-around solutions.

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MachE. 23 LYRIQ on order its built
Search Cable Ramp Protective Cover

put 1 front wheel on ramp with cable in the ramp
Sponsored