• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Silly question, but are both motors always active?

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
My thought is wouldn’t range be better if like in an ICE truck it is 2wd unless you activate 4wd?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Yes

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The Lightning has dual permanent magnet motors that are always engaged. It does not have a drive shaft disconnect. A disconnect would probably increase efficiency, but at the potential cost of added weight, mechanical complexity and long-term reliability.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
yes, under it's current design both motors do the work, at the same time, but in the future, there might be an option for FWD or RWD only, especially on flat roads where all wheels don't need to be engaged 24/7... with the current permanent motor engagement setups on the Lightning, you can't simply 'disengage' one motor...

OP
OP
jimfigler

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the explanation!

Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I've been wondering this...

If I hit dry pavement in my ICE F-150 while in 4WD, the wheels will start to bind up on turns because of the differential design of the axles. I wonder how the Lightning is always 4WD and doesn't have the binding issues? :unsure:

OP
OP
jimfigler

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

If I hit dry pavement in my ICE F-150 while in 4WD, the wheels will start to bind up on turns because of the differential design of the axles. I wonder how the Lightning is always 4WD and doesn't have the binding issues? :unsure:
Must be a differential in there.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

In a 4wd pickup, the transfer case connects the front and rear axles and forces them to rotate at the same speed. In the Lighting, there is no physical connection between the axles, it is all electronicly controlled. Each axle (motor) also had a differential to allow each wheel to speed n at different speeds. The rear differential had a locker that can be engaged to force them to spin at the same rate.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
it is all electronicly controlled. Each axle (motor) also had a differential to allow each wheel to speed n at different speeds.

I always guessed that it has to be computer controlled somehow, kinda like some cars with traction control that allows power to the wheels that need traction the most.

Good explanation. Thanks.
Sponsored