• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

SOC Display on Instrument Display

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
What's funny (or not so funny) is I know my truck is setup for automatic updates and is scheduled to check each day, however, the app shows the opposite: that updates are not enabled. Which do I believe? And why is there a disagreement?
Toggle the automatic install to off, then switch it back on with one of the recommended time frames or create a custom setting for days & hour preference, this might tickle the Ford cloud server with current data and then do a Fordpass pull-down/refresh to get the current status.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Where does one get to see the update number? All I see is a vague description of what may have changed.
Should see the number associate with the brief description on the Sync screen, ignore the yellow highlight on this snap shot, see [Software Updates]

Ford F-150 Lightning SOC Display on Instrument Display 1703695804389

OP
OP
Sealevel

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
Should see the number associate with the brief description on the Sync screen, ignore the yellow highlight on this snap shot, see [Software Updates]

1703695804389.png
On my Android phone, I see the update via the Ford app: Select Vehicle / Features & Settings / Software Updates / Recent Changes (shows the download date) / details and Version.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
On my Android phone, I see the update via the Ford app: Select Vehicle / Features & Settigs / Software Updates / Recent Changes (shows the download date) / details and Version.
Yup, that too, wasn't sure which way the poster was looking for it, but both methods work.

Buio

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Mode YP 2023 I. silver lightning LR ER
Occupation
cabinets
Apologize in advance for the noob questions , obsevations & missed posts.
I took delivery of an ER Lariat the Saturday after Thanksgiving & the SOC % has never been anything BUT 0% . Am I missing a way to " reset it" so it actually tells me something ?
I also can't find or figure out how to access what updates I've gotten , and more imortantly, what those updates addressed.
I bought a Tesla Y performance in June & so began the love affair w/ EV's . I really wanted an E-transit for my work / business, but wow , what a disappointment.
So I decided to put up w/ the daily inconvieinces of going from a full size van ( Nissan ) to a P/U because I was all in on EV's. But I will say Tesla is WAY ahead of Ford in user friendliness , for my situation / likes & dislikes, anyway.
So A. , how , if possible , can I start getting actual SOC readings & B. where / how do I find my history of updates ?
Both the app & the dash screen show I am UTD on updates , but give no history / info on what the previous ones were. I am set to auto updates btw , I will try what another poster suggested & toggle between that & manual and see if that helps.
Thanks for reading. Sorry for the length ( that's what I wish I'd said to her ) . I can't really type , but once I get going .......

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
So A. , how , if possible , can I start getting actual SOC readings & B. where / how do I find my history of updates ?
A - until you get the update that includes it on the normal dash, calm screen, or the charging app will give you your current SOC
B - You don't. Ford doesn't make that readily available except right after an update installs. Also you can check for updates, but it will only show you updates that Ford has opted to make available for your VIN, you can not request updates through any process. Further, it will take a few months for your VIN to start getting into the update rotation. I've heard some people say as little as 2. In my experience with my MME it was 6.

Buio

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
cabinets
A - until you get the update that includes it on the normal dash, calm screen, or the charging app will give you your current SOC
B - You don't. Ford doesn't make that readily available except right after an update installs. Also you can check for updates, but it will only show you updates that Ford has opted to make available for your VIN, you can not request updates through any process. Further, it will take a few months for your VIN to start getting into the update rotation. I've heard some people say as little as 2. In my experience with my MME it was 6.
Thanks for the reply, I knd of figured . So in other words , for me anyway , the " user friendliness gap " widens " . It is now a chasm . Or perhaps the Grand Canyon , given my locale. Very disappointing.

Btw , am I understanding you correctly , Ford decides for all their different customers what THEY , Ford , feels a particular customer needs , wants , would find useful. Tragic , if true.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Thanks for the reply, I knd of figured . So in other words , for me anyway , the " user friendliness gap " widens " . It is now a chasm . Or perhaps the Grand Canyon , given my locale. Very disappointing.

Btw , am I understanding you correctly , Ford decides for all their different customers what THEY , Ford , feels a particular customer needs , wants , would find useful. Tragic , if true.
As far as user friendliness goes, even without the % specifically, the gauge is there with tick marks at 25, 50 and 75% so you should have a decent ballpark already. Neither Calm Screen or the charge app are difficult to get to either if you need the specific %

As far as the update pattern, your comment applies way more intelligence to the process. It's really just phased roll-outs that eventually cover everyone, but new cars and trucks don't get added to the roll-out population for awhile.

Buio

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
cabinets
As far as user friendliness goes, even without the % specifically, the gauge is there with tick marks at 25, 50 and 75% so you should have a decent ballpark already. Neither Calm Screen or the charge app are difficult to get to either if you need the specific %

As far as the update pattern, your comment applies way more intelligence to the process. It's really just phased roll-outs that eventually cover everyone, but new cars and trucks don't get added to the roll-out population for awhile.
Are you talking about tick marks on the left side above the SOC % ? If so , I only see ticks for the regen - braking energy recaptured . all other times , there's nothing. Otoh , it may be somewhere else on screen & I've been oblivious to it the entire time . Tends to be a problem of mine , missing the obvious.
Thanks again for your help .

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
@TheWoo beat me to it, here's my dash before the SOC update last summer, you can see the quarter increments clearly when the SOC's really low [15%] as seen in the photo, road trip to Salem NH with me and two passengers and a 7x14 tandem axle trailer in tow.

May 12, 2023
Ford F-150 Lightning SOC Display on Instrument Display 1703796026905

What it looks like after the SOC update last August 26 2023
Ford F-150 Lightning SOC Display on Instrument Display 1703812123351

Last edited:

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
@TheWoo beat me to it, here's my dash before the SOC update last summer, you can see the quarter increments clearly when the SOC's really low [15%] as seen in the photo, road trip to central Connecticut on a very cold day with me and two passengers.

1703796026905.png

What it looks like after the SOC update last August
View attachment 77247
Good pics @TaxmanHog - I'll add for the @Buio that not everyone has received the updated SOC reading, so don't freak if yours doesn't have it yet. Mine still is 100 and 0 and I've had other recent updates but keep missing out on this one. It's probably the update I most covet that I haven't received.

John Becker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Light'g Lariat SR, '18 Audi S5 Cabriolet
Well, now I know that newly manufactured trucks do not come with the latest updates. That's both surprising and disappointing.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
@TheWoo beat me to it, here's my dash before the SOC update last summer, you can see the quarter increments clearly when the SOC's really low [15%] as seen in the photo, road trip to central Connecticut with me and two passengers. as seen in the photo, road trip to Salem NH with me and two passengers and a 7x14 tandem axle trailer in tow.
Whoaa! Your dash is showing 1.2 mi/kWh and it's summertime! Were you towing something or doing 100 mph in central Connecticut! 😀

Last edited by a moderator:

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Well, now I know that newly manufactured trucks do not come with the latest updates. That's both surprising and disappointing.
My theory on this is that sales people are lazy and don't want to learn the new software with every update. So they deliver them to the lot with a known-to-sales staff version of the software and only update what goes out with new cars on a yearly basis or so.
Sponsored