• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sunrun wanting to install Charge Station Pro on 50Amp circuit

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
If this is your only electric panel for the house, and all you have is a main disconnect breaker in the meter box, you need a licensed electrician look over your panel and ignore sunrun.

You appear to have 2 spares that may allow a 240v breaker for your charger, but you need to have this panel & it's incoming wire inspected for capacity. This may be a 100 amp panel, or smaller, and you many not have wire and/or panel capacity for the 50 amp breaker needed for a 40 amp charger.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jmurraytravel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning on order
Looks like your due for a service upgrade just to acquire a panel with more space!!

Your main disconnect is up stream of this panel, possibly next to the electric meter.

Looks like it's not more than a 125

1678400018167.png
Thanks again, for help on this. The main breaker is by my meter, but I had to run before I could open it for a picture. I’ll get it sent tomorrow morning.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Thanks again, for help on this.
Wiretec electrical is still around. Maybe they'd give you a quote. They're Qmerit, Tesla, etc. qualified. I wouldn't hire sunrun without a second opinion quote no matter what, although I think Sunrun has probably honestly sized your installation (50A) with the service you have.

https://wiretechcompany.com/

dachelpo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightening, 2015 Ford Flex
Occupation
Retired - Music Director 21 years, H.S. Principal 8 years, Public School Supt. 9 years, Church Organist 21+ years
Thanks again, for help on this. The main breaker is by my meter, but I had to run before I could open it for a picture. I’ll get it sent tomorrow morning.
I have a local electrician set up to install my Ford Charge Pro Station for my Lightning. I found the electrical company by going to the local Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and they listed their business members that also had NECA certification (National Electrical Contractors Association). I went this route because I wanted Ford to be happy with the installation in case something went south later with my extended batteries and also because I want to add Sunrun Home Integration System to my present ADT Solar Array. SunRun is Ford's preferred dealer for this inverter and bi-directional use of the Ford Lightning batteries for residental use during grid outages. In my opinion, this means you have a lot of people to appease. Ford, SunRun, in my case my solar system and installer ADT Solar, my utility (MidAmerican Energy), and also my local electrical inspector. My electrician contractor has already checked with the local inspector and they require a shut off at the Ford Charge Station Pro, it can't be located back at the meter or just at the circuit breaker box. Sounds like a good safety feature to me and easy to add it along with the proper installation by a licensed and certified electrician. Just my thoughts.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
My electrician contractor has already checked with the local inspector and they require a shut off at the Ford Charge Station Pro
Depending on the length of your run back to the service panel and your particular installation, you may also want to ask your electrical contractor their thoughts on using something like service cable from panel to the disconnect and copper from the disconnect to the FCSP. Also, whether you want to future-proof the installation for a subpanel by running a neutral. I think you've chosen your electrical contractor wisely.

Sponsored

dachelpo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightening, 2015 Ford Flex
Occupation
Retired - Music Director 21 years, H.S. Principal 8 years, Public School Supt. 9 years, Church Organist 21+ years
Depending on the length of your run back to the service panel and your particular installation, you may also want to ask your electrical contractor their thoughts on using something like service cable from panel to the disconnect and copper from the disconnect to the FCSP. Also, whether you want to future-proof the installation for a subpanel by running a neutral. I think you've chosen your electrical contractor wisely.
My electrical contractor and I have already had the conversation regarding the length of the run from my main 200 amp panel to the location of the Ford Charge Station Pro - that I want him to take any votage drop into account - he had already looked at this and knew that the gauge was correct because the run will not be that far. I will share your future proof thought with him too but I have already discussed a Phase II work project of the SunRun inversion, dark battery, and Microgrid Integration device so imagine he is ahead of me. (By the way, my dad was a certified, licensed electrician and had his own business. Worked with him during high school on jobs. Still though, too many years have passed - time on something like this to hire professionals that are up to date and ensure it gets done properly, plus I am getting too old for serious digging, climbing, etc.)

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
If the main breaker is not in this panel, Sunrun (or an actual competent and attentive electrical designer) should at least consider connecting the charger closer to the main. This most likely isn't the right panel to cram your charger circuit into.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
Many of us have the same issue. My house has a 200 amp main feed from the street. But my detached garage where I do all my charging has only a 50 amp sub-panel.

@Jmurraytravel has two choices: Either they can install the Ford Charge Station Pro on their existing 50 amp circuit and derate it to 40 amps maximum. That's obviously the least expensive option.

Or they can upgrade the service to their garage sub-panel to 100 amps and install the Charge Station Pro at its full 80 amp charge capacity.

The latter choice may require significant and costly upgrades to the garage service. I have an electrician coming out to determine what I'd need to do if I want to install my Charge Station Pro at full capacity.

gregoryhcain

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pickup
Occupation
Physician
Screw Sunrun. Have them ship the Ford Charge Station Pro to you and decline their invitation to install it. Have your local trusted electrician install it. If you don’t have a trusted electrician, find reviews online. (Hint: The local trusted electrician almost certainly isn’t Sunrun.)
Absolutely, I have one electrician who does all my projects and does them right. He has his industrial certs and really knows is stuff. Did my FCSP and works flawlessly.
Sponsored