• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Talk me out of a HIS by Sunrun

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I believe they are misreading the code. Or, actually, almost deceptively quoting it. Here is the preamble to R327, which exempts vehicles from 327.2 thru 327.11.

[NY]R327.1General.​
Energy storage systems installed in buildings or structures that are subject to the provisions of this code shall be installed and maintained in accordance with Sections R327.2 through R327.11. The temporary use of an owner’s or occupant's electric powered vehicle as an energy storage system shall be in accordance with Section R327.12.​
Actually it is even worse than that. The text of R327.12 makes it incredibly clear that no matter how you read 327.1, the capacity restrictions of 327.5 that they quoted against you do not apply to vehicles:

[NY]R327.12 Electric vehicle use.
The temporary use of an owner or occupant's electric powered vehicle to power a dwelling unit or sleeping unit while parked in an attached or detached garage or outside shall comply with the vehicle manufacturer's instructions and NFPA 70. The batteries on electric vehicles shall not contribute to the aggregate energy limitations in Section R327.5.
Sponsored

smax64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09 F250 FX4
Occupation
Firefighter
Actually it is even worse than that. The text of R327.12 makes it incredibly clear that no matter how you read 327.1, the capacity restrictions of 327.5 that they quoted against you do not apply to vehicles:

The temporary use of an owner or occupant's electric powered vehicle to power a dwelling unit or sleeping unit while parked in an attached or detached garage or outside shall comply with the vehicle manufacturer's instructions and NFPA 70. The batteries on electric vehicles shall not contribute to the aggregate energy limitations in Section R327.5.
They got that back from the state and now proceeding with the permit... But here is where sunrun fails again... I had to go to the town and get this info and get their permit people connected... They spend 3 months doing nothing... Love it...

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

How is that worse? The way I read it, the truck battery doesn’t count towards the stated storage capacity limits.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
How is that worse? The way I read it, the truck battery doesn’t count towards the stated storage capacity limits.
Worse in terms of someone sending him a carefully selected, out of context code paragraph that they could not possibly have thought actually applied.

Just hoping he did not actually read the code book I suppose. See this more when the code officials are old enough they still can't get it through their heads everyone has the full code online now...

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Worse in terms of someone sending him a carefully selected, out of context code paragraph that they could not possibly have thought actually applied.

Just hoping he did not actually read the code book I suppose. See this more when the code officials are old enough they still can't get it through their heads everyone has the full code online now...
Gotcha….makes sense!

Sponsored

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Finally got info back from the town of eastern long island and here is the issue for the HIS in NY at least

1663597640909.png

NY so far does not have a provision in their electrical code to allow for ER battery
Set the software limit on discharge to 80/143 = to 56% and it will forever be a 80kW-hr energy storage system for the house. This will of course make your storage system have greater lifetime.

OP
OP

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Navigator, F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-e
To put a cap on my end of this conversation, the design team just came back and said they would not be able to integrate my existing system into the new system and I would only have a tiny 2.1kw solar array helping run the home in an extended outage and two separate inverters, even though the original array is 2 years old and installed by Sunrun. Oh well, y'all definitely called it and even primed me to be ready to pull the chute at the first sign of issues. So I'm out, good luck to all the others still trying to get the system, maybe sometime in the future I'll look back into this when the entire system can be integrated seamlessly.

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 RR Sport HSE
I am getting my HIS installed next week, anyone have success with the system install at this point on the forums? Any tips for my install team who is not SunRun? PUD and the city both signed off on it. We are not intending to have the solar system functioning when the power goes out to help charge the vehicle, so we "simplified" in that regards. I did not want to replan my whole system (which has inline enphase inverters) just to gain the functionality to charge the vehicle when the power is out. And it coul only take in a small percentage (4KWh) of our total 15.6 KWh system. Just not worth it in losing the efficiency and functionality of the inline inverters. I can always add a few panels and plug them into the HIS if I want to later on...

So, any tips or things to watchout for? Anyone have a tech support line from Delta or SunRun for states that don't use SunRun?

smax64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09 F250 FX4
Occupation
Firefighter
So Sunrun is still working on permiting.... But they came out yesterday and installed my charger at least... 100amp breaker and now charging the truck at home went from days to a few hours... So far so good... It did throw an overheat warning... But it self fixed and continued to charge... Hopefully the get the HIS installed.. soon.... ;(

Rancheroni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Bronco 4D
Yep, Wrightwood. I'm sure Crestline has experienced the same. You know the area?

smax64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09 F250 FX4
Occupation
Firefighter
Don't DO IT..

Here are my reasons...

1. Signed up for HIS and signed contract on 5/26
2. Got countersigned on 5/28
3. Reached out 30 days later... Nothing...
4. Got a PM(project manager assigned) 7/6
5. Was told to wait until permitting is done 7/8
6. Reached back out on 7/22 was told have to wait until I get the truck
7. Received the truck on 8/1 reached back out.
8. Was told to wait until I received the charger.
9. Received the charger on 8/10.
10. Reached back out asked for my vin again.
11. Gave all that info again and back we have to wait for permits
12. Reached out to CEO... She replied promptly
13. Got a new sales person that reached out on Monday 8/15
14. Had me signed a new contract that was 1500 lower then the first(said it was their mistake)
15. Told me it would would b 2-3 weeks for the install
16. Estimated date for install was 9/8-9/12
17. Crickets and now the PM is not responding.
18. At this point we are over 3 months and going on 4...

So unless you are like me and willing to wait until the next coming of Jesus. I say DON'T DO IT.

P.S. very disappointed with the whole process what a mess....
So if anyone cares here is my update

Sunrun finally showed scheduled my HIS install for today and tomorrow if anyone keeping track that's about 10months after my initial signature.

But here is the issue, FORD/SUNRUN HIS system will not power the entire house. It will only do between 10 and 20 circuits and they have to install a secondary panel. Spoke to a supervisor and was told that nope its a 9.5kw total output system and we cannot do more. Told them to stop all work and will not be doing this, its ridiculous to spend this kind of money for a under 10k generation. Ford promised whole home use and looks like this is not the case. Funny how no one mentioned this until the installation team arrived. Great Job Ford and Sunrun, what a royal waster of time.

so I am sticking with don't do it
Sponsored