• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TESLA ADAPTER FOR CHARGING YOUR LIGHTNING

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
Today, you can buy an adapter to use these chargers, often called a "Tesla Tap" for one of the common brands. Because neither the Mach-E nor the Lightning can reduce/control the level of charging like some Tesla's can, it's essential that the adapter purchased matches the maximum that the Ford vehicle can handle, so it won't overheat / melt, or that the user know very clearly what the max output of the destination charger is. The Mach-E will pull a max of 48amps with AC charging (i.e. non-fast charging). The Lightning will pull a max of 80amps. So, if you bought a Tesla Tap for 48amps, and tried to use it on the Lightning, you might have a big problem if the charger is putting out 60amps, or more.
This is mostly true, but...

An ER Lightning can draw up to 80 amps through its dual onboard chargers. However, a SR Lightning is limited to 48± amps (11± kW). So the advice above is critical for ER owners, but a SR driver could safely use a well-designed and made 60 amp adapter.

Also, the power levels of Tesla wall and destination chargers are variable, but I've seen nothing that indicates any version, connected to even an 80 amp circuit, delivers more than 48 amps. To be clear, I am NOT talking about Superchargers, which are DCFC (not AC) using the NACS connector.

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
An ER Lightning can draw up to 80 amps through its dual onboard chargers. However, a SR Lightning is limited to 48± amps (11± kW). So the advice above is critical for ER owners, but a SR driver could safely use a well-designed and made 60 amp adapter.

Also, the power levels of Tesla wall and destination chargers are variable, but I've seen nothing that indicates any version, connected to even an 80 amp circuit, delivers more than 48 amps.
The Tesla 2nd-Generation Wall Connector is capable of delivering up to 80A (19.2kW) to the vehicle if hard-wired to a 100A circuit. You can't tell from the exterior how the wall connector has been configured, so it is essential that you have a Tesla to J1772 adapter rated for the maximum current your truck will request:
  • 80A (19.2kW) for ER Lightnings, and
  • 48A (11.2kW) for SR Lightnings.
As always, an adapter with a higher rating is OK to use, so (for example) a 50A or 60A TeslaTap would be fine for an SR Lightning, but would be a safety hazard for an ER Lightning.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is mostly true, but...

Also, the power levels of Tesla wall and destination chargers are variable, but I've seen nothing that indicates any version, connected to even an 80 amp circuit, delivers more than 48 amps. To be clear, I am NOT talking about Superchargers, which are DCFC (not AC) using the NACS connector.
I have no Tesla knowledge beyond what I read. I have seen 80amps mentioned a few times.

For a public charger, PlugShare would tell you.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...stination-charger-speeds.100215/#post-2363359

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT SR AMB (delivered Jan 2023
I've heard that some Tesla charging stations out by Colorado have the adapters built right in !
This is in mid-state New York. They work well enough, but the cables are too short… Hopefully the adapter that we can buy will include a few feet of cable.

Ford F-150 Lightning TESLA  ADAPTER FOR CHARGING YOUR LIGHTNING IMG_1513

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was curious to see if you do find a magic dock how you can use it - https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging

Then checked in existing app their "plans"
Yes, that's a known thing.

And, that in some areas, Tesla's rates are time dependent.

In all cases, I believe it's more expensive than EA's Pass+ rate.

Keep in mind two things.

1) Magic Dock is rolled out in 11 locations. No idea if the existing rate structure changes when they really roll out.

2) The Ford / Tesla and GM / Tesla deals MAY include special pricing, no one will know that until they announce it or roll out next Spring.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
It will come out in Spring, 2024.

Let's clarify the two separate Tesla-related CCS efforts, that may clear things up.

First, Tesla cut an agreement with the US Government to open up 3,500 Superchargers (chargers, not locations) out of approximately 17,000 in existence at the time of the announcement, to all CCS vehicles, by the end of 2024. This would be done with the Magic Dock adapter, which is in the charger, not purchasable by a person. If you pick CCS charging, the Magic Dock attaches to the cord. They then rolled out 11 locations, 2 in CA and 9 in NY. This happened in Feb/March. No new locations have rolled out since. To note, Tesla also announced they would double the Superchargers by end of 2024, but it's still 3,500 for CCS it appears. The Tesla V3 chargers have short cords, people have speculated that the rollout will be with V4 chargers with longer cords. At a V3 location, a CCS vehicle would often have to pick the charger on the end, or park sideways occupying 2-3 spots. Not a win friends approach if it's a busy location. The government rules address this.

Second, Tesla cut an agreement with Ford, and then GM, to give access to 12,000 SuperChargers by early 2024, which some have said is Spring 2024. This is a totally different initiative. For Ford, this involves integration of the Tesla chargers into FordPass and Plug and Charge, so that it's seamless for the Ford owner. It involves the Ford owner having an adapter, which may, or may not, have a cost (haven't read up on the GM deal). This won't be happening in 2023. And there is no adapter you can buy anywhere today for this to work. And yes, both Ford and GM know of the short cord issue. Even if you had an adapter, Tesla today requires use of their app, and won't let you CCS charge (except at 11 locations in #1 above).

Today, Tesla charges more to fast charge than for example Electrify America. It's unknown what the pricing structure will be for the Ford and GM owners under their deal with Tesla.

In addition to SuperChargers, Tesla has "destination chargers", which are not fast chargers. Also called Level 2 chargers, these are what you'd put in your home, or find at a hotel, or park, or similar. Today, you can buy an adapter to use these chargers, often called a "Tesla Tap" for one of the common brands. Because neither the Mach-E nor the Lightning can reduce/control the level of charging like some Tesla's can, it's essential that the adapter purchased matches the maximum that the Ford vehicle can handle, so it won't overheat / melt, or that the user know very clearly what the max output of the destination charger is. The Mach-E will pull a max of 48amps with AC charging (i.e. non-fast charging). The Lightning will pull a max of 80amps. So, if you bought a Tesla Tap for 48amps, and tried to use it on the Lightning, you might have a big problem if the charger is putting out 60amps, or more.

Tesla will also open up many destination chargers under their agreement with the government, it's unclear exactly how that will happen since today they have Tesla-style plugs. Will Tesla send site owners adapters? Or will they change out the cord? They will open at least 4,000 destination chargers as part of that agreement.

Also, the "charger" is in the vehicle. The device supplying the current is simply a "pump".

An unknown is whether Tesla will seek to renegotiate #1 in light of #2. But, keep this in mind. #1 opens up specific Tesla network Superchargers and Destination chargers to ALL CCS vehicles. #2 opens up specific Tesla Superchargers to all Ford and GM vehicles, leaving out all the other companies so far.

Hope that helps clarify things.

Here's a link to Tesla Taps and Lectron adapters, the two main competitors. Be very careful buying a different brand than one of these. https://amzn.to/43vkFQZ
Good recap of the current known information.

On the Tesla Destination chargers - they make and sell their Wall Chargers with the J1772 plug rather than the NACS plug. So they may know how many of those are already installed in the wild or have a plan for all future to maybe also have 2 cables? or adapters? Not sure. Some do have the J1772 plug however.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
There are currently a total of 11 locations with Magic Docks (built-in adapters). They're in New York (9) and two in California.

This link will find them, but you have to move around the map to view the entire country:

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=51.79533516395478,-69.16813319383206,26.431673917336585,-102.65446131883206&zoom=6&filters=party
The problem is tesla are charging J1772 users a higher kwh costs than a tesla pays. I've always thought public charging fees were ridiculously high already and why I only charge at home & use locally only.

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
All bets are off on Tesla DCFC for CCS. There will likely be an adapter at some point that will be sold exclusively by Tesla, but Ford's deal was a 1/2 publicity stunt and when everyone else jumped on the wagon to save face in the market, that makes Ford suddenly non-exclusive which eliminates any advantage over anyone else. CCS charging is maturing and billions are being poured into it as we speak. CCS isn't going anywhere and there is still a good chance that absolutely NOTHING will happen with NACS other than the slow and contrived rollout of Magic Docks at 100% Tesla's discretion. They won't put them in popular spots where we need them because that would piss off Tesla owners who are already competing with each other for use. They will put a minimal amount of them in the least popular spots to satisfy any subsidies they took. A new 24 slot super charger site just opened in Tulsa (my home town) because the one other was getting very congested. Of course, neither has Magic Dock and I've talked to hundreds of Tesla owners in the area who all say "NO",,, if they do Magic Dock at either of the Tulsa Locations they will raise hell. Lots of the users are from TX, traveling North and I have a friend that lives in Plano and owns 2 Teslas, he said there is a HUGE problem right now in the entire DFW area where people who live in apartments/condos are buying Teslas and have no where to charge, but Superchargers. Regardless of how stupid of a problem it is, it is a major problem, there have been multiple hour waits at many of the sites in the DFW area. This can't support the opening up of charging to others when it can't even support what it was originally built for.

The simple fact is NACS (regardless of the connector spec being open) is proprietary just like the Apple Lightning connector. It will never be accepted by the world or the masses because Tesla will never 100% release control of their chargers, software, network, etc.

My prediction is CCS will continue on for another decade as is, then IEEE and/or SAE will very methodically get with Tesla and the entire world to come up with a world wide universal EV connector to replace everything. It will have all the features that both currently lack, safety, capacity, bi-direction, encrypted communication, etc.

Last edited:

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Reactions: GDN